drainage problem

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
I have a need to dig a drainage trench (for underground drain pipe) to run down middle of barn floor, and down a slope. I am looking to install a 4" pipe, with drains. is there a device I can add to the tractor (L3200hst) to assist with this. I don't have a backhoe, and would prefer a less expensive option if there is one.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
You might try a shank plow, it's just a plow shaped like a V. Some people call them a potato plow.

I'm sure there would be some shoveling involved.

Just my 2 cents...

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Rent a ditcher from a local equipment rental business.

OR

Look in the newspaper or on the Internet for a local individual or company that does trenching. That way you don't have to deal with a lot of related tasks. They come, they trench, they go away.

You then can use the tractor to refill the ditch with the spoils or with gravel to finish the drain. With gravel it would work much better - like a "French drain".

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
How deep do you need to go? A single bottom plow, potato or otherwise, would probably be sufficient with a little shoving down to about a foot. Any deeper than that and you really should be using a backhoe or trencher like GWD said. Might be easier to bribe a neighbor with a backhoe to come dig the trench for you and then fill it in later yourself.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Is the barn floor dirt or cement? If its dirt, yes rent a Ditch Which for 4 hours and you will save a ton of work and hard times on your back ,,Unless you have some kids you want to spend quality time with or have daughters old enough to have boys friends hangin around, then you can have a very good talk with them and still get the ditch dug,,

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Call the local news and raido stations and tell them you think you've found Jimmy Hoffa's body out in the barn, and VOILA a ditch has been dug...

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If you have or can borrow rent or buy a 3-point 6-way angle blade. Mine will swing to the side, roll up and down both sides, and cant the blade forward like a maintainer. Great for ditch cleaning while tractor stays on road.

Might be able to use standard rear blade by adjusting the tractor's one adjustable upper link to make the cut with one end of blade. After first pass just drive with one side of machine in first-cut to increase angle and depth of cut.

I recently dug a 200-ft x 2-ft ditch in good soil in four passes by seting the 6-way blade with one edge right behind a tire; with just a little speed it flipped the soil right off to the side. To backfill just angle the blade flat at an angle to the ditch and drive long-ways over the ditch. One pass gets most of it.

The single-bottom middle-buster plow would be the less expensive option ($94 locally) if you have to buy something, but would require more hand work.