Drain Project

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
To fix a water pooling problem on my driveway I am planning to install some drains and have acquired the saw and blade I think will do the job. The challenge I have is getting power to the saw which I fear will trip a 15 amp breaker (the saw is listed as drawing 1800 watts). The service in the area I have has trouble with a 13 amp compressor.

So, my question - I have a generator capable of 30 amps using a twist lock plug and I see dog bone adapters that would allow me to connect the saw - can I assume the saw will draw what it needs and use that plug without screwing my new saw up? ( a Vevor 14")

Cheers
Andy

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
1800 watts is start up wattage ............. I bet if you plug an amp meter on it , it will draw a bit more than 15 amps, BUT after a second or less the amp draw will drop off around 50% of the 15 amp start up.

Use the genny - get a good 12 gauge wire - 25 feet should be enough.

IF you are cutting something that loads up the saw - the amps WILL SHOOT up, so allow the saw to do the work and easy into all cuts and you will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Pending the size saw and blade, it's only necessary to score about 1 1/2 inches, then break out the rest, make sure to dowel into the existing slab, add rebar and appropriate joints, when replacing the removed section. Also pending the size, type and location of the basins ensure they're on undistrubed soil or place a spread footing under them.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Motion thanks for the pointers - I am working with some 50 yr old pavement that is cracked and heaved with tree roots. I expect a miracle will be needed as well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you'll need a chainsaw to remove the roots ! Neighbour just did that. Looked like a volcano was forming..huge cracks in the blacktop. This crew dug and chopped out the 4" round root,backfilled, tamped,then did their new base and pave.
if you don't remove the root, it'll reappear....only a matter of time....

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Let's see, P = E * I
1800 watts = E * 15 amps
1800/15 = E
E = 120 volts

So, you're right on the edge. You could see the breaker pop when you start the saw up. And a long cord is going to result in significant voltage drop given that you have no margin. That could be hard on the saw.

If you have problems, you could cheat and slip a 20 amp breaker in that slot in the panel to get the job done...just don't go and run the saw for hours and hours or you'll put quite a bit of heat into the 14 gauge wire used for that circuit.

You might check to see if you have a 20-amp circuit close by. Refrigerator, microwave, deep freeze, workbench...

- Paul

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
The closest plug that MIGHT handle it is 50 ft away - a cord that long would make matters worse. The generator can be very close and I picked up a 10 gauge 25 ft extension cord I can use, if needed, to hook up the the 30 amp circuit. Wish me luck.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Motion thanks for the pointers - I am working with some 50 yr old pavement that is cracked and heaved with tree roots. I expect a miracle will be needed as well.
You didn't mention the length and width of your drive, if it's that bad between the age, ponding and heaved. you may want to consider repouring the entire drive and correct all deficiencies (including tree removal), pending available funds do it it two or three sections starting foom the house/garage to the street.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Yes we have just had that discussion. I would be an expensive project around here - had a quote done 15 yrs ago and it was expensive then. It would also would be complicated by several other issues (access is difficult, those roots belong to some trees we would like to keep, something we had problems with on another paving project). I am also just getting to the point in life dealing with contractors is just not worth the hassle.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I am also just getting to the point in life dealing with contractors is just not worth the hassle.

man I HEAR you ! wanted a simple 2nd story on top of garage, my budget was 50K(studs and steel),a 'shell', I'd finish it....asked 3 contractors including the guy working next door.NONE quoted the simple,4 day job and I have a zoomboom onsite.... even though we import 400,000 new people a year, there's NONE to actually fill 'help wanted' positions....

having to save the trees makes the job a nightmare as it really limits your options. Roots will ALWAYS win,push up dirt,gravel,pavement and concrete....it's a Mother Nature thing.

I wish you luck though !!

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I have had some decent contractors that did a good job for a fair price about 1/3 of the time; it goes downhill from there. Now, if I can do the job, I will. Learned a lot of new things that way, which I like anyway.

Had a bit of a change in plan - I had bought some drains that seemed to be rated highly only to find out the grills don't come out once it was installed - with the trees I have I need to clean them so back they went. I am now thinking I will cut a channel and pour a concrete gutter. Ma nature will have her way but so be it.