DR Power 3 Point Hitch String Trimmer

altoonapillarrock

Equipment
BX24
Dec 29, 2012
Rosburg WA
I ordered the 3 point hitch string trimmer because I have about 3 weeks of string trimming every year on my property. I am 75 now and I want to minimize my time swinging my heavy duty brush cutter. The pallet arrived at Yellow Freight in Portland and the cardboard part was crushed but everything on the pallet looked OK. I got it home and lifted it out of my pickup with a 1/2 ton hoist I have in my garage ceiling. Assembly went OK. I measured the PTO shaft and per instructions I was to cut two inches. I decided it was time to order a set of Pat's Quick Disconnects. I would like to make it easier to change implements. These took about 3 weeks to arrive and they are pretty cool. I remeasured the shaft and no need to cut it. I don't have any implements that require a PTO so this is all new to me. First the u-joint is like a shrink fit on the gearbox shaft. I had to insert a crowbar in the u-joint and pound on it with a short handled mallet. Finally got it on. After straining for a couple hours I could not get the other end of the PTO on to my BX24 output shaft. Then I noticed the safety chain is too short. I unhooked on end and tried again. No luck. Next morning I discovered it's really a three step process. 1-get the slots in the u-joint lined up with the slots on the tractor shaft. Pause. 2-push in the button until it stays in. Pause. 3-push the u-joint in until the button pops out. Stop and drink a cool glass of water.
The plate that holds the strings was in upside down. Once I flipped that over I could put in the green strings. From the directions I have no clue what the maintenance position is or how to achieve that configuration. Anyway. I got it all set up and 2 hours later my week long choir was complete. The wheel collects a great tangle of grass which takes a long time to untangle. I bought a couple of 3/4" galvanized washers and added them to the assembly. Probably a shear pin would have been better than the 5mm key but whatever. It's important to slow down the RPM when engaging the trimmer. Also I bought some golf cart mirrors and put them on my tractor to keep and eye on the trimmer. The BX24 is 48" wide so the trimmer is way out to the right. This is great. All in all: pretty good design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
After you've got some hours on it would you please give us an update, we have chain link fencing around 7 ball diamonds and I'm wondering how it would work. Thanks Barry

altoonapillarrock

Equipment
BX24
Dec 29, 2012
Rosburg WA
After you've got some hours on it would you please give us an update, we have chain link fencing around 7 ball diamonds and I'm wondering how it would work. Thanks Barry

Will do. I only have a couple of trees and posts that my trimmer has to deflect around. If the trimmer was rubbing against a chain link fence a lot of the time the ring would experience wear. I thing it would need occasional repair or reinforcement.
I will post an update after I use the trimmer a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I just posted the listing for others. I'm not interested in purchasing it.

I'm not sure what the reference to 5mm keys and solid tires is reference to?