Down the rabbit hole of comparing tractors that have a cab.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I like the 6060 but I don't understand all the features. I have watched the Messicks video. Like too many dipping sauces. Cant choose.

Reactions: 1 user

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
Thanks! My MX is about $2,500 more today to buy new compared to what I paid in February but I absolutely agree with @hedgerow and his comment about buying new vs. used. Given Kubota financing and the marginal difference in cost it does make sense to buy a new tractor if it's available. That might be a problem when it comes to selling the MX but the worst case is that I have two tractors for a lot longer than I thought. My biggest concern now is not buying a power shuttle type tractor for ground work and having an HST for dirt work and a power shuttle for mowing and cultivating type work. As I mentioned, if I'm only going to have one, it would be the HST, but if I'm "stuck" with two for years I would rather have both types of transmission.

I like the guys at the local dealership and consider many of them friends and I feel a little bad for them because they want to help me out but can't. All I can say is that I hope other members do a better job than I did at buying a tractor. I thought I was buying the best tractor for me but didn't figure on some variables such as this being the hottest summer I've ever experienced up here, and the amount of dust and pulverized vegetation that I'd be exposed to.
I think we all tend to go a bit crazy trying to have the perfect piece of equipment for a lot of tasks, but at the end of the day if we wanted perfect for everything we’d have a tool specific machine for every task.

I had to fight the urge myself on going bigger than the 2610 as I plan on doing fire wood out of my property eventually. More lift capacity would be a big plus, but at the end of the day it would have been at the expense of being able to move around the house, fit under the car port, do small dirt and grapple projects etc.

From the sounds of how happy you are with the open station MX I’m sure you’ll be just as happy with the cab one from an operation standpoint.

As for selling the “old“ one, while I was in the same boat of used/new and went new because the prices were so close when you figured in interest on financing, there are going to be people who need it now, and the 0% financing really only makes a difference if it’s not a several month wait. I’d say stick to your guns on the price and the right buyer will come around.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I didn’t think the MX6000 came in a shuttle.
You're right and I'd have to go with an M7060 or similar if I wanted that feature. Or a Kioti RX.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
As for selling the “old“ one, while I was in the same boat of used/new and went new because the prices were so close when you figured in interest on financing, there are going to be people who need it now, and the 0% financing really only makes a difference if it’s not a several month wait. I’d say stick to your guns on the price and the right buyer will come around.
Yes, I'm fortunate in that I don't need to sell it and will hold out until I get a fair price or what I perceive to be fair. People up here are asking crazy money for 15+ year old tractors in poor shape and with thousands of hours on them!!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I talk to whoever will listen.

I was scanning and thought your last post was about the MX, oopsies.
And the synchro shuttle on the MX5400 manual trans requires you to depress the clutch when shifting from F>R or R>F which is different to the hydraulic shuttle or power shuttle on other tractors such as the M7060.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In an effort to explore my options I had requested a quote from a local Kioti dealer last week for an RX7320PCC and I mentioned that earlier in this thread. Yesterday I asked the sales rep to explain the difference between the Synchro Shuttle vs. Power Shuttle offered on the RX7320 tractors. This was his response and I was impressed with the detail he provided. Kind of relevant to my previous post.

"The synchro shuttle is a gear-type transmission, wherein the shuttle lever is shifting actual gears thru a mechanical connection. This is a simple, sturdy design, but is a little less user friendly, as shifting too quickly can result in grinding gears, and the lever effort is of course much higher.

The power shuttle shifts using oil applied clutches, and the shuttle lever simply actuates a valving system to send oil to each clutch for forward and reverse operation. This gives us lower lever effort, no possibility of grinding gears, and also allows the forward/reverse shift to be "modulated" , i.e. the speed of clutch engagement can be adjusted for firmer or smoother sifts. With the power reverser, you can actually switch to reverse while the tractor is still moving forward, and the trans will bring the tractor to a smooth stop before taking off backwards. The clutches run in oil, so even with the higher slippage during direction changes, they'll still outlive the dry plate clutch. The short story is that the power shuttle costs a little more, but it makes the tractor much nicer to operate."

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
One thing you have to remember about both types of transmissions are at what speed you are going forward that is the speed you will be backing up. If you are mowing with a batwing at six mile an hour and flip the power reverser when it goes into reverse and the cycle is completed you will be backing up at six mile an hour. That takes some getting used to.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
One thing you have to remember about both types of transmissions are at what speed you are going forward that is the speed you will be backing up. If you are mowing with a batwing at six mile an hour and flip the power reverser when it goes into reverse and the cycle is completed you will be backing up at six mile an hour. That takes some getting used to.
Ha! Ha! I can imagine that it would be alarming.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I test drove a 2019 RX7320 today that a farmer who had it in for service very kindly let me drive. His is basically set up the way I would order one and the bottom line is that it's simply too much tractor for what I'd use it for. It made me realize how much I like the simplicity of the HST and overall operation of the MX. It would take me a lot of hours to get comfortable with the complexity of the transmission but I will say that it's a heck of a lot of tractor for the money. Add in the warranty and the 84 months 0% financing and it's an incredible value.

Interestingly, the engine displacement of the RX7320 is the same as the MX6000 i.e. 2.4L, and the front end is very similar in size. The MX with cab weighs 4,268 lb compared to the RX7320 with cab that weighs 6,162 lb. That's a lot of extra weight for less than 10 more hp. Add in the weights of the loaders and the weight difference is even larger.

The Kubota dealership called this afternoon to tell me that we're all set and that they'll be ordering the various upgrades that I requested. The only thing I need to find now is an aftermarket kit that will allow me to run the 3-point from outside the cab. Surely that won't be too hard to find.

All in all I think I'm making the right decision. The MX fits on my utility trailer, I have the factory workshop manual already, it's not too big for my property and I like the simplicity. If I end up keeping the MX6000HST as well I'll probably look at adding the backhoe which can't be added to the MX6000HSTC model. I miss the backhoe that I had on the BX25D. I'd better put an add on Craigslist offering driveway maintenance or something to help pay for all this. 😂

kioti_rx7320.jpg

kioti_rx7320_02.jpg

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The new tractor can't get here soon enough. I was mowing last night, only for an hour or so, and the dust was brutal .... I'm still coughing up crap this morning!! 😖

I spoke to the dealer yesterday and they're only getting one MX6000 with a cab this year and it's mine, although he joked about selling it to a bunch of others who also want it.

I ordered a couple of USB charger sockets, one of which will either replace the cigarette lighter in the MX cab or get installed in addition to it. I did the same thing a few years ago to my F250 replacing one of the cigarette lighters .... yeah, it had two! A simple and cheap upgrade.

Amazon.com: Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof 12V/24V USB Outlet QC 3.0 Dual Charger Socket with Touch Switch DIY Kit for Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More: Electronics

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I spoke to the dealer yesterday and they're only getting one MX6000 with a cab this year and it's mine, although he joked about selling it to a bunch of others who also want it.
There is you a buyer for the rops unit. Never hurts to ask.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
There is you a buyer for the rops unit. Never hurts to ask.

Sorry .... but I don't speak Yoda!! 😂

Are you asking if there"s a buyer for the ROPS model through the dealership? If there is, the dealership wants 10% which I'm not willing to pay. I'd rather keep both than lose $10k.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Sorry .... but I don't speak Yoda!! 😂

Are you asking if there"s a buyer for the ROPS model through the dealership? If there is, the dealership wants 10% which I'm not willing to pay. I'd rather keep both than lose $10k.
No. One of the guys that wants the cab, may settle for a rops unit.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
No. One of the guys that wants the cab, may settle for a rops unit.
I think the mold spores in the dust have affected my cognitive abilities since I'm not following. The dealer doesn't have any ROPS units and they're not going to send customers my way without their pound of flesh.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I think the mold spores in the dust have affected my cognitive abilities since I'm not following. The dealer doesn't have any ROPS units and they're not going to send customers my way without their pound of flesh.
I get that. Your dealer is like 3 miles from home right? Park that tractor out by the road one Saturday morning, bet it wont last a day. If you really want to get rid of it, of course.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The new tractor can't get here soon enough. I was mowing last night, only for an hour or so, and the dust was brutal .... I'm still coughing up crap this morning!! 😖

I ordered a couple of USB charger sockets, one of which will either replace the cigarette lighter in the MX cab or get installed in addition to it. I did the same thing a few years ago to my F250 replacing one of the cigarette lighters .... yeah, it had two! A simple and cheap upgrade.

Amazon.com: Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof 12V/24V USB Outlet QC 3.0 Dual Charger Socket with Touch Switch DIY Kit for Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More: Electronics
Seriously you should wear a N95/painting mask and some goggles that seal around your eyes. Don't let that crap get into your body.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I get that. Your dealer is like 3 miles from home right? Park that tractor out by the road one Saturday morning, bet it wont last a day. If you really want to get rid of it, of course.

That would cause a bit of an uproar I'm sure. Once the cabbed model shows up I'll put my current MX on Craigslist and keep it there for as long as I feel like it. My dilemma of course would be whether or not I should use it since accumulating hours could adversely affect the price. If I don't use it then I'm paying for something I'm not using. Tractors aren't like houses that typically appreciate and tractor costs aren't deductible unless they're being used for a business. Maybe that's a solution, start a tractor related business to offset the depreciation.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Seriously you should wear a N95/painting mask and some goggles that seal around your eyes. Don't let that crap get into your body.
Very true! I've been wearing a dust mask but last night I didn't intend to do any mowing, just test out the new tooth bar. The problem with having top-n-tilt and a quick hitch as well as an MX and RCR1884 is that they're so easy to hook up and are such a brilliant combination that I don't mind mowing for "10 minutes". Of course the problem is that once I start it's hard to stop.

Reactions: 1 users