Down the rabbit hole of comparing tractors that have a cab.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought an MX6000 ROPs model back in February and absolutely love the tractor with one caveat. It's a perfect size for what I need with plenty of power, and there's the feeling that you're only paying for tractor and no fluff, but the dust while mowing is a problem. Now that I'm mowing 50 times more than I ever have it's a real issue that has me looking at various cab models.

I'm considering "upgrading" the MX to a cab model next year and so have started looking at other cab models to get a better idea of how they compare. A friend has an M7060 which is a serious tractor so I compared that model to the MX6000 cab, M4 Delux and Grand L6060. So down the rabbit hole I went and tried to select similar features and options and I was surprised at the price range. These are all MSRP and don't reflect discounts etc. I was thinking that the MX cab model added about $8k, but once you add some desirable features such as defogger, rear windshield wipers, air ride seat etc., the difference is closer to $10k.

MX6000 cab - $49,577
Grand L6060 - $56,408
M7060 - $59,500
M4D - $64,916

$10k is a chunk of change to pay for the comfort of heat, cold and no dust. Figure in the money I'll probably lose on trading in the MX ROPs and I could be looking at a $15k difference. I really do love the MX I have and maybe it's starting to look even better. Time will tell.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don’t know if you go on uneven land or not. The cabs are less of a percentage total weight on larger ones compared to smaller ones. Keep in mind that the cab will also be for snow as well. The larger models have different transmissions and the smaller one like the Grand L has an HST+.

The one thing that I didn’t consider when shopping/eliminating the cab was the dust. When the wind is blowing, depending on the direction, moving dirt with the loader blows dirt in my face/eyes. There is also dust from the road/driveway while running the grader/scraper. Still, while working with someone else, it’s nice to just cut my tractor off and have a conversation, and the shutting off isn’t an issue for my non-DPF tractor.

One thought is go to a MX5400 instead of MX6000 to save a little money.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I know I really like my cab. Originally, I wasn't going to get a cab, but the wife said she wasn't going to listen to me whine about sinuses every time I mowed. So, she got me a cab.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don’t know if you go on uneven land or not. The cabs are less of a percentage total weight on larger ones compared to smaller ones. Keep in mind that the cab will also be for snow as well. The larger models have different transmissions and the smaller one like the Grand L has an HST+.

The one thing that I didn’t consider when shopping/eliminating the cab was the dust. When the wind is blowing, depending on the direction, moving dirt with the loader blows dirt in my face/eyes. There is also dust from the road/driveway while running the grader/scraper. Still, while working with someone else, it’s nice to just cut my tractor off and have a conversation, and the shutting off isn’t an issue for my non-DPF tractor.

One thought is go to a MX5400 instead of MX6000 to save a little money.
You and me both with the dust thing. I was mowing about 3 acres with the BX and mid mount mower, and although it was a bit dusty it wasn't too bad and certainly not even close to how much debris gets stirred up now. In fairness, much of it is plant based dust created by the beast of a rotary cutter that demolishes everything.

Yep, I have a very hilly and bumpy 20 acres with the hope to eventually buy the 44 acres next to me which is also hilly and I assume bumpy although I've never driven on it with a tractor.

Good point re the weight of the cab, and I'd definitely go with the MX6000 cab model if I don't bump up to an M model.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Yep, I have a very hilly and bumpy 20 acres with the hope to eventually buy the 44 acres next to me which is also hilly and I assume bumpy although I've never driven on it with a tractor.
I'm always interested in guys who have bumpy property, but also have a tractor. Seems to me that the point of a tractor is to change your property to suit you - i.e. get rid of the bumps!! I guess it depends how big they are.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm always interested in guys who have bumpy property, but also have a tractor. Seems to me that the point of a tractor is to change your property to suit you - i.e. get rid of the bumps!! I guess it depends how big they are.
And how hard they are too! It's very rocky up here in NW MT so the idea that a 60 hp tractor can level out the bumps might be a little simplistic. Regardless, I've only had the MX since February and the BX I had for five years wasn't much of a bump leveler. I would like to have 15 acres of healthy grass with a nice hilly but flat field to mow but that's going to take time and a lot of work.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have you looked at a MX cab yet? Got in it?
Funny you should ask. I was at the local Kubota dealership this afternoon paying way too much for 20 feet of nylon sleeve for the grapple when I mentioned to the manager that I'd made a decision matrix to aid in the process of choosing a cabbed tractor. He took me outside where he had a Grand L6060 and MX6000 with cab sitting next to each other. The L was in bad shape and was there to be repaired and I'm not sure why the MX was there but I was able to sit in both and get a sense of the difference.

If I bought an MX6000 with a cab I would be paying $10k simply for a/c, heat, less dust, keeping out of the rain and the option to listen to music without headphones. It's definitely a utilitarian no-frills cab. The L on the other hand offers a lot more for a lot more. The extra $7k over the MX seems to get a lot more than the 70% up-charge would imply.

I'm a long way from making a decision since nothing is available at the moment so I get to enjoy my MX in the meantime. If a Grand L6060 or MX6000 with cab were to show up and they weren't already sold I'd certainly feel some pressure. I like utilitarian farm grade tractors more than anything so I might lose the plot entirely and end up with an M7060! 😂

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
And how hard they are too! It's very rocky up here in NW MT so the idea that a 60 hp tractor can level out the bumps might be a little simplistic. Regardless, I've only had the MX since February and the BX I had for five years wasn't much of a bump leveler. I would like to have 15 acres of healthy grass with a nice hilly but flat field to mow but that's going to take time and a lot of work.
Ah. I'd never considered that. Our land is dirt, not rocks. It's not perfectly flat, but it's flat enough. But yeah, making rocks flat is a different story entirely.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I think there are many features on tractors that we can't imagine having and frankly don't miss because we've never experienced them. Unless you've driven an HST Plus it's not something that you think about on an HST. I'm perfectly happy with the HST on the MX as well as all of the controls. I started out with a BX without a quick hitch but once I bought one there was no way I'd go without on the MX.

I think a cab is something that we might never have experienced with a tractor, but we've all driven cars and trucks that give us a/c, heat, comfort etc. so it's much easier to imagine and miss the benefits that a cab offers. I'm rambling but I hope I'm making some sense.

I should add that the MX is an awesome tractor that has exceeded my expectations in every way possible and it's almost the perfect tractor for me and my property, but I do think that the cabbed model would have been a better choice. I remember that it was a 5400 cab model on the lot when I bought mine and that played into my deciding against it at the time. I bought the MX before the price increase so didn't want to wait for something to show up.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The L on the other hand offers a lot more for a lot more. The extra $7k over the MX seems to get a lot more than the 70% up-charge would imply.

I'm a long way from making a decision since nothing is available at the moment so I get to enjoy my MX in the meantime. If a Grand L6060 or MX6000 with cab were to show up and they weren't already sold I'd certainly feel some pressure. I like utilitarian farm grade tractors more than anything so I might lose the plot entirely and end up with an M7060! 😂
The Grand L is a less capable machine than the MX, but more luxurious. Personally I'd probably have trouble paying more for a Grand L than I would for the MX, knowing the MX can do more in terms of capacity. Unless I couldn't use an MX due to property size or whatever.

The M is what Dad used to have, and it was a good size machine. A lot more tractor in general. Go for it!!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The Grand L is a less capable machine than the MX, but more luxurious. Personally I'd probably have trouble paying more for a Grand L than I would for the MX, knowing the MX can do more in terms of capacity. Unless I couldn't use an MX due to property size or whatever.

The M is what Dad used to have, and it was a good size machine. A lot more tractor in general. Go for it!!
That's what I thought but talking with the manager today he pointed out that the engine and rear end are the same, and even the loader is basically the same. The L has the external cylinders at the rear that give it a greater lift capacity compared to the MX. But I'm sure that Neil from Messicks mentioned that the L has a lighter chassis but I'm not sure.

To be honest I don't see myself buying a Grand L6060. If I'm going to pay $56.5k for an L I would pay $3k more and get the M7060. Like I mentioned, utility appeals to me and I don't need fluff even though some of it is really nice to have. The MX with a cab has no fluff in it and that's appealing. In a perfect world I'd keep the MX and get an M7060 too but that's probably not going to happen.

Yep, at this stage I'll either keep the MX I have, upgrade to an MX6000 with cab, or an M7060 with cab. I think those are my options next year unless something shows up sooner. I'll start looking at the used market too.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
talking with the manager today he pointed out that the engine and rear end are the same, and even the loader is basically the same. The L has the external cylinders at the rear that give it a greater lift capacity compared to the MX
I have a vague recollection that the MX is like the front end of an L connected to the back end of an M. Or something like that. When I heard it described it sounded somewhat dodgy to be honest. But there's definitely something about it that is more solid/competent than the L.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
10K is about the going rate for a cab option. I'd look for a tractor with the biggest front wheels if you are doing field work with rough ground. And an air ride seat.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have a vague recollection that the MX is like the front end of an L connected to the back end of an M. Or something like that. When I heard it described it sounded somewhat dodgy to be honest. But there's definitely something about it that is more solid/competent than the L.
The MX has a much more substantial front than an L. The front tires are huge in comparison to an L.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The MX has a much more substantial front than an L. The front tires are huge in comparison to an L.
I'm a sucker for the front wheels on the MX along with the overall stance of the MX which looks amazing. The L front wheels look a little toy like to me. I did see a video of an L6060 owner who swapped out the front rims with the MX rims and then added wider tires sized appropriately such that the O.D. of the tire was within 1% of the factory L tire. It certainly looked better and played nicely with the 4WD system.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Neil made that point in one of his videos but I'm not sure if it holds for the L6060 given that the back end is supposedly the same as the MX but with external cylinders typically found on M models. The front gear ratios are certainly different and that's why you can't simply mount MX front wheels on an L. Also, the L has a mid PTO which is appealing to many that want to attach a front mount snow blower or other PTO driven implement up front. The Grand Ls are great tractors but I still lean more towards the MX and M models for their no frills utility.

Looking at the L6060 and MX6000 4WD spec sheets I'm surprised to see that the L is heavier in both the ROPS and cab models. I work in an industry where catalogs and websites are riddled with errors but I don' t know how accurate Kubota literature is.

ROPS
L6060 3990 lb
MX6000 3734 lb

Cab
L6060 4365 lb
MX6000 4268 lb

Last edited:

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
Mike from outdoors with the Morgan’s has had a cab MX5400 for a year or so now, and has more than a few videos really showing it inside and out.
While I have a much smaller machine, an open station wasn’t even really something that crossed my mind. Between bugs, dust, snow, and not getting hit in the face with branches in the woods. The cab is worth every penny.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Mike from outdoors with the Morgan’s has had a cab MX5400 for a year or so now, and has more than a few videos really showing it inside and out.
While I have a much smaller machine, an open station wasn’t even really something that crossed my mind. Between bugs, dust, snow, and not getting hit in the face with branches in the woods. The cab is worth every penny.
I'm looking at a used 70+ hp Kioti with a nice cab and trying very hard not to get too excited about it. I've sat in the MX5400 and MX6000 cabs but have zero time using them. Given how happy I am with my MX I have no doubt that the cabbed version would check most if not all the boxes for me. I will say that having the ability to manipulate the 3-point from outside the cab is a really desirable feature and one that I don't think the MX has. I'm not sure if it could be added in the aftermarket but it's something I'll look into.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm looking at a used 70+ hp Kioti with a nice cab and trying very hard not to get too excited about it. I've sat in the MX5400 and MX6000 cabs but have zero time using them. Given how happy I am with my MX I have no doubt that the cabbed version would check most if not all the boxes for me. I will say that having the ability to manipulate the 3-point from outside the cab is a really desirable feature and one that I don't think the MX has. I'm not sure if it could be added in the aftermarket but it's something I'll look into.
Dad did go to a Kioti, and a big point was that the cab had more space inside - despite not being supposed to have kids come for a ride with you, if you were to do such a clearly unsafe thing, it would be less unsafe if they're in the cab.