Does the L2501 front axle have a vent?

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
Hmmm, I'll have to see if my L3901 has that also. Any maintenance other than keeping it clean?

Is it a one-way or two-way breather? I assume it is one way- lets pressure out but won't suck air in to equalize a vacuum?

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I found it. It has a hose attached and goes up to the engine compartment on the right side and loops down. Should be fine for going into the water. I guess you pull a plug to check the fluid level.
Make sure it's a two way breather. When the diff heats up and you go through cold water, a vacuum is created in the differential and water can get sucked in through the seals. A two way breather allows the air to be sucked in from a location above the water so the vacuum is neutralized. This is often an issue with 4x4 trucks when they go off-roading through streams and stuff.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There's no valve on the breather.

It's a tube pushed into the axle housing, then a piece of rubber tubing loops up & around, just goes to, well nothing.

Water should be kept below the axle anyway. The cooling fan and belt are suceptible to damage due to deep water, and yes I've seen it happen. On an L33/3901, if you have insurance go for it, if not, be prepared...if that engine gets hurt and needs to be replaced, it's almost money ahead to replace the tractor in it's entirety....which is why the one I messed with got totaled by the insurance company.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Far as I know, every FWA axle is vented, has to be. If it's not, when it gets to operating temperature, the expansion inside (unvented) would cause the seals to leak. Just like the differential in your vehicle, they are all vented as well.

Both my M's are vented near the pivot point with a fitting in the casting and a short vertical hose.

I would never submerge the front axle over the centerline of the hubs, in water just as I would never drive my pickup truck in water over the hubs. Too much of a chance of carnage to internal parts.