Do you trust people?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I remember reading a story about a tourist in Japan that left their camera on a park bench. Went back next day and it was still there. It would be gone most anywhere else

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I remember reading a story about a tourist in Japan that left their camera on a park bench. Went back next day and it was still there. It would be gone most anywhere else
You know that is funny, because back in my days as a poor traveler, I met another guy that was doing something similar to me, traveling on a shoestring. Can't even remember where I ran into this guy, in Japan or elsewhere.

Not sure why he would have taken a taxi in Tokyo (although taxis were really cheap back then), but he did and forgot something of value when he got out.

All he could think to do was stand where he was dropped off, and after a bit the taxi came back and saw him and the driver returned his lost item...can't remember what it was, could have been a camera, or who knows what. I do remember whatever it was had considerable value to him.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I don't know how long ve9aa has been a 'ham' but I've been licensed for more that 60 years. In that time I've never been disappointed by another ham. That includes the time many years ago when we went on vacation to St Lucia. I brought a portable ham station with me to operate. Ham equipment was very heavily taxed there (100%) and one of the locals wanted to buy mine. The local currency (ECC's as I remember) were worthless outside the Eastern Caribbean Countries. He promised in a month or so he would be in the states and send me the $$$ then. It was a deal. 6 weeks or so later I had my $$$.
I always try to think the best of people. When it comes to lending money to an acquaintance, relative or friend I always assume I'll get it back but am comfortable if that doesn't happen.
45 years.
Never been burned in a transaction over buying/selling ham gear yet---and most transactions are remote...stateside, Europe, even New Zealand. All have gone well.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Trust is definitely EARNED, yet as someone else pointed out, it's like respect and someone has to give a little to get some back. I've always been a cautious person, but that doesn't mean I distrust anyone. When I DO distrust them as far as I'm concerned, they left the planet.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I will trust you till you screw over me, then all bets are off

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I will trust you till you screw over me, then all bets are off
Agree...but some caution in advance is also wise.

I'm in the camp of believing most people are good. BUT I also know that the scammers are good at what they do.

This always sets up a confilict in my mind. Usually it works out though, without negative results.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My handshake is my word and I expect the same from most others. My suburban friends say I am too trusting.
Property is posted and the drive way has a LARGE no soliciting sign.
The keys are left in the truck far to often according to the wife.
Come up the drive to the front door and you will be greeted warmly and with respect. If you are broke down or stuck in the ditch you will find a warm place in the house to wait for help.
If you are pushing religion you will be asked to leave with less respect.
Lost hikers coming thru the posted signs will be lead to the road with a chuckle.
Kids coming thru the posted signs will have their parents called or given a ride home if required. This is very very rare.
If you are not expected and you are in one of the out buildings you will be greeted by a very friendly dog and looking at the business end of a shotgun.

Reactions: 1 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I don't. That's why I buy new. I've been trying to get rid of my two Polaris Sportsman's for 3 years now.

One needs a new needle seat in the carb (I replaced the wore out needle but didn't think of replacing the seat) and one needs wheel bearings (I have new in the box) and a tail light bulb. I am honest right up front about it and I can't get a call for the life of me.

So guess that's why people are dishonest.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I don't. That's why I buy new. I've been trying to get rid of my two Polaris Sportsman's for 3 years now.

One needs a new needle seat in the carb (I replaced the wore out needle but didn't think of replacing the seat) and one needs wheel bearings (I have new in the box) and a tail light bulb. I am honest right up front about it and I can't get a call for the life of me.

So guess that's why people are dishonest.
Curious, but if it is a simple fix, why not just do it and sell the items in great condition? Not interested, just curious...

Myself, I would be suspicious of someone selling a relatively expensive item that said "all you got to do is replace this simple item..."

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Curious, but if it is a simple fix, why not just do it and sell the items in great condition? Not interested, just curious...

Myself, I would be suspicious of someone selling a relatively expensive item that said "all you got to do is replace this simple item..."
I probably would be better off doing that, but I just lost all interest in them. They'll probably end up rotting in the shed, LOL

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't trust anyone til they give me a reason to, hate to be that way but it only takes a few times getting taken advantage of to learn.