Do you reverse your rear blade for snow ... any issues?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I've seen a few people say they reverse their rear blade for snow to keep from digging in to the driving surface. If you do or did, was there any issues?

I reversed mine just to look at it. I wondered if the bolts/nuts were damaged by this process. No, I haven't tried it yet. My road surfaces I will plow are primarily gravel.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I don’t reverse it but I do pull it as far Roth as possible then put it at a 30 degree angle to roll the snow off. It I’m dealing with 4-8” I’ll do the first pass down the middle with it straight and then the next two angled. To clean up or push piles back, I use the FEL

Reactions: 1 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Oh and I am 1300’ of gravel to the road. I get more rock in my grass from the FEL than I do from the rear blade

Reactions: 1 user

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
On my gravel drive I have turned my blade around and I’ve not damaged it in any way. It does leave a layer of snow of on the gravel which I prefer. I used to drag gravel all over the place trying to get all the snow off. I did realize that if I pile up all the snow in one location, once it melts thats were my gravel will be. We don’t get a lot of snow here, so your experience may vary.

Reactions: 2 users

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I keep mine reversed all winter. If I have 4-8” of snow on the gravel I angle it and let it move the snow to the road side. If there is more I use the bucket and then the rear blade to push it away to the side. My new tractor has a front snowblower and I have paved the drive so I put a split PVC pipe on the scraping edge of the rear blade and will try it when we get snow (my son actually as I am in AZ). No harm to the rear blase on my old tractors after using it backwards for 20+ years. Actually it would be nice to see a rear blade with a smooth rear surface intended for this purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Only one season under my belt with a back blade, but I do reverse it. Ready to go for season 2 and parked where I can get to it.

I sometimes use the box blade for wet stuff too.

image.jpg

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
For my gravel driveway, I turn my blade around and also add a cut strip of horse stall mat that I make a sandwich with:

9F296EC1-4EF6-4D0B-85AB-86C76231C642.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
The first and last storms of the season are the worst for gravel driveways. Until it freezes solid it will be a mess to plow. I use a plow on the front and the back blade as a clean-up at the same time. I only use it backwards when I back up pus
P1060006.JPG
P1060005.JPG
100_0598.JPG
hing snow away from the wood shed in my back yard so I don't dig up the lawn.

Reactions: 3 users

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
I've used my facing forward at a angle...At time reversing it and we have +300' driveway and it is gravel. Now my blade has skid shoes on it. Depending on snow I make one or two pass.
At times pushing the pile off with the loader...This has worked for 25 plus years.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Nope. I shorten the top link all the way which reduces the positive rake of the cutting edge to near zero. Works great pulling or pushing, and a lot less work overall. I rarely use the FEL bucket in the winter.

Bill in Martinsville

Equipment
ZD326
Nov 26, 2022
Horsepasture Virginia
I've seen a few people say they reverse their rear blade for snow to keep from digging in to the driving surface. If you do or did, was there any issues?

I reversed mine just to look at it. I wondered if the bolts/nuts were damaged by this process. No, I haven't tried it yet. My road surfaces I will plow are primarily gravel.
simple rule for this PUSH SNOW - PULL DIRT

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
simple rule for this PUSH SNOW - PULL DIRT
I don't think you are talking pushing a rear blade, but I guess that's ok if you are talking feet. I'm not personally going to drive backwards for 1/2 mile, and that's just my driveway. More like miles if I do the unmaintained part of the county road.

A front mounted snow plow would be ok, but I can't think of any use of it other than snow. The rear blade has other uses.

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
I always used mine in reverse. It enables you to pile the snow higher, especially if there is a lot of the white stuff.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I don't think you are talking pushing a rear blade, but I guess that's ok if you are talking feet. I'm not personally going to drive backwards for 1/2 mile, and that's just my driveway. More like miles if I do the unmaintained part of the county road.

A front mounted snow plow would be ok, but I can't think of any use of it other than snow. The rear blade has other uses.
My front plow blade I purchased from Quick Attach can be converted to a dozer blade by putting in bolts to keep it from tripping the trip edge.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yes, I reverse my blade to plow my gravel roads. I generally plow over 3/4 mile of road and the reversed blade keeps the gravel in place. I also do this in other times of years to do do the final gravel grading after pulling the gravel from the road ditches and shoulders with the blade facing forward. The reversed blade does a nice job of spreading gravel across the road. I have never seen any damage to the blade from doing this.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
It depends on the volume of snow & wet heavy or dry fluffy ? I puled the blade at a angle in snow any kind up to a foot or so. Large volume & heavy over a foot bush. Agen did this with a 20 hp Ferguson 2weel drive for maney years.

Danl1957

Equipment
Bx2380, fel, rear blade, mower, winch, JD 318, HD road king, sportster, boats
Sep 12, 2022
Vermont
Hi all,
Good reading on this post, my first year with a bx2380 and rear blade for snow, my worry is damaging a paved driveway. My dealer recommends reversing the rear blade and pushing snow. I plan to lengthen the top link to reduce the blade angle when pushing, yet still concerned about driveway damage. Does anyone use the high density poly edge on the rear blade or are my worries unfounded? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
Dan

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hi all,
Good reading on this post, my first year with a bx2380 and rear blade for snow, my worry is damaging a paved driveway. My dealer recommends reversing the rear blade and pushing snow. I plan to lengthen the top link to reduce the blade angle when pushing, yet still concerned about driveway damage. Does anyone use the high density poly edge on the rear blade or are my worries unfounded? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
Dan
Reversing the blade and pushing snow? Does this mean you would be doing everything in reverse?

Sometimes I do push backwards, but most of the time I go forward with the blade mostly angled, but the first pass might be with the blade square.

Pushing in reverse all the time would get old pretty quick. My neck and body speaking now I think...LOL