Do you like your LAND PRIDE 48" Box blade?

countryboy9799

Equipment
BX2380
May 23, 2020
MN
Somebody can correct me if i`m wrong, but the box scraper will allow you to move material around, where the grader is just made strictly for leveling off high spots. For what you`re doing, its a perfect fit for you. Later on after i buy a box blade, i will be buying a grader. I can find tons of uses for a grader.
You are correct in the BB will move material around and the blade doesn't move it around much. A lot is adjusting the angle of the top link, turning it so it is shorter will tip the front end down which will make the blade in front cut more aggressively and the teeth will dig deeper too so it is an art in getting it right.
If I have a bit to move I start with the teeth down and top link short, then I start lengthening the top link and picking the teeth up.

Reactions: 1 users

countryboy9799

Equipment
BX2380
May 23, 2020
MN
Just found a local dealer selling the BB1260 for $750 brand new. Its the 5 foot model. I might just bite the bullet and buy this one instead of the BB1248. I kinda like the idea of the box being a little bit wider. This will be a heavier unit, so that might be the better way to go too.
I think a 60" would be to big for my BX2380. For our driveway it would be okay but not for dirt work/material moving.

Reactions: 1 user

kenbx1860

Mar 31, 2015
canada
Somebody can correct me if i`m wrong, but the box scraper will allow you to move material around, where the grader is just made strictly for leveling off high spots. For what you`re doing, its a perfect fit for you. Later on after i buy a box blade, i will be buying a grader. I can find tons of uses for a grader.
I have purchased a 4’ box blade for my bx1860 and it works great for moving and leveling gravel. I also have an 8’ railway tie that I have installed two pull points on to connect to my 3 point hitch with a pull bar. I have installed 3 grader blades two for weight and one for cutting into surface. With the 3 point I can drop and raise as required to cut or level, it works really well. I use it to drag and pack the snow before I start snow blowing with the tractor. It weighs about 350 pounds and I would not be with out it for dragging my gravel for a really level surface.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I think a 60" would be to big for my BX2380. For our driveway it would be okay but not for dirt work/material moving.
I`m sure you`re right about that without a doubt, moving sod is a whole lot different than moving stone. My only intent is to only use it on driveways. I`ve seen a few videos with people using the 60" on the BX tractors, they seem to do okay with the 60" box on driveways. I would think alot comes down to tractor weight and traction.

mrflorida

Equipment
l1500dt
Nov 26, 2018
Florida USA
I had the 60" on a JD 4200 which was 26hp and near double the size and weight as a BX. It was good for that unit but would be way to much for a BX when really moving dirt as its designed to do. The bb1248 on a bx2680 is easy to use correctly and i'd suspect the slightly bigger 54" would work decent also but 60" will be to much imho.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
I`m sure you`re right about that without a doubt, moving sod is a whole lot different than moving stone. My only intent is to only use it on driveways. I`ve seen a few videos with people using the 60" on the BX tractors, they seem to do okay with the 60" box on driveways. I would think alot comes down to tractor weight and traction.
I would be hesitant to run a 60" on a BX. I ran out of traction long before HP. I am running turf tires with rear chains tho. Maybe R1 or R4 tires would help and do even better with chains also. The more weight the better using a box blade.

Very useful implement. Ill see if I can dig up some photos and post some of the work I have done.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I would be hesitant to run a 60" on a BX. I ran out of traction long before HP. I am running turf tires with rear chains tho. Maybe R1 or R4 tires would help and do even better with chains also. The more weight the better using a box blade.

Very useful implement. Ill see if I can dig up some photos and post some of the work I have done.
Pics wold be great! Thank you!

I do have R4 tires, and they are loaded, i also have a set of (custom made for me) super heavy steel wheel weights too. I dont really want to put the wheel weights on if i can help it, as they stick outside of the wheels about 6 to 7 inches. It takes 2 people to put these wheel weights on/off the tractor. I`ve not run into a situation where i`ve needed to put the wheel weights on. Hopefully, i never will have to...lol. They are a PITA to put on and take off. I had them made for me little over 30yrs ago for my other tractor. They fit the kubota wheels perfectly. My other tractor dosent have a 3pt hitch, so the wheel weights worked perfectly for that tractor (w/chains) for over 30yrs. But now, my BX has a 3pt hitch, with a implement on the back, its more than enough weight, so i`ll likely never need to use the wheels weights. Plus i would have to take the WW`s off every time i wanted to put my backhoe back on the BX. With the BH on, plus the WW`s, loaded tires, thats asking for a rear tire(s) to pop. I surely dont want that to happen.

Now, some locals here are saying the 54" BB is a perfect size. I dont see where 3 inches added to each side is going to effect me much by using the BB1260. As i`ve said earlier, i dont overload my equipment with material. I just like the idea of being able to get a little wider bite. That can certainly be done without killing the tractor, in my opinion. Some people tend to take to much of a bite and then the tractor AND the implement chokes. I`m old, i`m in no hurry, i take my time, i always go real slow and easy, and i dont get into trouble with my equipment.

I`ve had a couple of neighbors tell me that my 7ft rear blade will never work on my BX... thats strange, i`ve had zero issues using it. Its that "slow & easy" thing yah know. It works perfectly fine, for me. I use it in dirt and gravel, no issues. In the winter, i use it to pull the snow away from the garage and shop doors. Pretty handy item for something that i was told would never work!

At this point, i`m still shopping around for the best deal. Got 2 places fighting for my money right now.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
A few pictures of projects around the house using the box blade. This blade has earned its keep and has done lots of work. Not having a loader makes this my only option to get material to the bottom of the field and out of the area that I now mow with the finish mower.

Grading the lawn. This area was higher then the driveway and you can see in the following picture the issues it was causing. The area near the driveway was lowered about 18-20 inches. Also a large drop off/void was filled in. The house was built before I bought it and about 15 feet from the house the ground dropped 3 feet. No landscaping was ever done.
yard.jpg

The driveway when I moved in. Water ran down it and pooled on it. The field/lawn on each side was higher then the driveway.
driveway flooded.jpg

Roughing in the swale on one side of the driveway. Shows how much water its keeping off the driveway so far. I roughed this out with mini ex and dump trailer right before buying the tractor. Box blade continued roughing out farther downstream then did all the finish work.
driveway 1 new swale.jpg

Starting to rough out the swale on the other side of the driveway with the box blade.
swale1.jpg

Finished swale done with box blade. Water wasn't quite draining quick enough from here and I decided to dig this deeper the following year. (Next Pic)
swale1 finished.jpg

Fence installed for dogs and giving the swale more grade to help flow.
swale.jpg

Starting to dig out material to backfill with gravel and build a walkway with patio stones. I drug this material with the box blade down the hill along the fence and spread it out and filled some voids where I was expanding the lawn. The I dug the deeper swale on this disturbed area in the pic above.
walkway.jpg

Yard all dug out to prepare for gravel. You can see the gravel back filled by the fence gate.
yard stripped.jpg

30 tons of gravel drug from the front yard around the house, under the deck, through the fence and spread to prepare for patio.
Backfilled Gravel.jpg

Last edited:

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
Patio stones and river rock being spread out.
Walkway Stones.jpg

Patio stones laid out on top of sand/gravel. Pea gravel where the chair is with the garden hose/dog washing area. The portion of fence behind the chair is where where I drug the gravel in before I started digging out the area where the double gate is.
Patio.jpg

Digging out the gate area so the gates line up with no gaps under them due to the slope of the yard.
Diggin fence.jpg

Gate area finished and just waiting for gravel.
Fence dug.jpg

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Patio stones and river rock being spread out.
View attachment 50702

Patio stones laid out on top of sand/gravel. Pea gravel where the chair is with the garden hose/dog washing area. The portion of fence behind the chair is where where I drug the gravel in before I started digging out the area where the double gate is.
View attachment 50703

Digging out the gate area so the gates line up with no gaps under them due to the slope of the yard.
View attachment 50704

Gate area finished and just waiting for gravel.
View attachment 50705
All i can say is wowwwwwwwwww, NICE JOB!!!!!!
To bad we wern`t neighbors, i`d let you take my loader and use it to do what you needed done.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
A few pictures of projects around the house using the box blade. This blade has earned its keep and has done lots of work. Not having a loader makes this my only option to get material to the bottom of the field and out of the area that I now mow with the finish mower.

Grading the lawn. This area was higher then the driveway and you can see in the following picture the issues it was causing. The area near the driveway was lowered about 18-20 inches. Also a large drop off/void was filled in. The house was built before I bought it and about 15 feet from the house the ground dropped 3 feet. No landscaping was ever done.
View attachment 50699

The driveway when I moved in. Water ran down it and pooled on it. The field/lawn on each side was higher then the driveway.
View attachment 50678

Roughing in the swale on one side of the driveway. Shows how much water its keeping off the driveway so far. I roughed this out with mini ex and dump trailer right before buying the tractor. Box blade continued roughing out farther downstream then did all the finish work.
View attachment 50679

Starting to rough out the swale on the other side of the driveway with the box blade.
View attachment 50680

Finished swale done with box blade. Water wasn't quite draining quick enough from here and I decided to dig this deeper the following year. (Next Pic)
View attachment 50681

Fence installed for dogs and giving the swale more grade to help flow.
View attachment 50682

Starting to dig out material to backfill with gravel and build a walkway with patio stones. I drug this material with the box blade down the hill along the fence and spread it out and filled some voids where I was expanding the lawn. The I dug the deeper swale on this disturbed area in the pic above.
View attachment 50684

Yard all dug out to prepare for gravel. You can see the gravel back filled by the fence gate.
View attachment 50688

30 tons of gravel drug from the front yard around the house, under the deck, through the fence and spread to prepare for patio.
View attachment 50700
Oh man, that rain can sure make a big mess, we`re dealing with that all the time where we live too.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
All i can say is wowwwwwwwwww, NICE JOB!!!!!!
To bad we wern`t neighbors, i`d let you take my loader and use it to do what you needed done.
haha thanks. Loader sure would have made things easier. I kinda screwed up and bought the tractor planning to look for a used loader. I found one only to then find out my tractor doesn't have the loader valves. Once I priced up the valves new and the mildly used loader I was going to spend almost the same as what I spent on the tractor lol. Oh well I was new to tractors and learnt from this.

I then watched a ton of videos and concluded the box blade would work. Just had to be creative with how and where I drug the material. I dropped $850 cad on a new box blade after having no luck finding anything used. 1 month later I found the exact same box blade used for $400 lol

Oh well I snagged a tiller, flail mower, blade with tilt, landscape rake with gauge wheels and a hiller for $1950 cad!! ($1500 US). almost 10k in implements!

I have since started doing some work on the side tilling mainly. Paid off 10% of the tractor in a couple months. If spring is busy I may finance a new BX TLB to be able to offer more. 1 job a month would make the payment.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
haha thanks. Loader sure would have made things easier. I kinda screwed up and bought the tractor planning to look for a used loader. I found one only to then find out my tractor doesn't have the loader valves. Once I priced up the valves new and the mildly used loader I was going to spend almost the same as what I spent on the tractor lol. Oh well I was new to tractors and learnt from this.

I then watched a ton of videos and concluded the box blade would work. Just had to be creative with how and where I drug the material. I dropped $850 cad on a new box blade after having no luck finding anything used. 1 month later I found the exact same box blade used for $400 lol

Oh well I snagged a tiller, flail mower, blade with tilt, landscape rake with gauge wheels and a hiller for $1950 cad!! ($1500 US). almost 10k in implements!

I have since started doing some work on the side tilling mainly. Paid off 10% of the tractor in a couple months. If spring is busy I may finance a new BX TLB to be able to offer more. 1 job a month would make the payment.
There`s always a price to pay for learning, been there done that...lol. I hear you when you say you found a better deal after having bought something... story of my life...lol. Yeah i would trade up too, if the deal is right. At least you have a head start on the implements. Luckily, my wife an i got a great deal on our BX23s. Still, its alotta money, but this little BX has been a life saver for us. It does everything we`ve asked it to do, and then some, without effort. I`m actually surprised how well it does its tasks. We never push the tractor more than its capable of. Going into that, we know what to expect from this tractor.

For sure, if you pick up some small side jobs, that surely helps. And dont let the side jobs consume you. Once people see you doing things for others, you can easily get overwhelmed by the amount of people coming at you to do work, for them. Also, always consider it will be added wear an tear on ALL your equipment if you start doing things for other people.

Just some sound advice, you may want to look into extra insurance to cover yourself should something go wrong when working for other people out there. Just trust me on that. And if you bought the ktac insurance from kubota when you bought your tractor, i do believe the ktac insurance only covers the tractor ONLY on YOUR property.

You should post your work in this thread. Be a shame not to see it in there.

Last edited:

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Just found a local dealer selling the BB1260 for $750 brand new. Its the 5 foot model. I might just bite the bullet and buy this one instead of the BB1248. I kinda like the idea of the box being a little bit wider. This will be a heavier unit, so that might be the better way to go too.
I have the 1260 and so far it has done everything I could want......nice unit. I could see purchasing some more of those little clips that hold the scarifiers/tines in at the desired depth. They look like a "consumable" item.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I have the 1260 and so far it has done everything I could want......nice unit. I could see purchasing some more of those little clips that hold the scarifiers/tines in at the desired depth. They look like a "consumable" item.
Yeah i was looking them over and i saw those mickey mouse clips. What the heck is up with that?!?!?! No doubt i will be buying some extra`s just to have as spares in the tractor tool box just in case. If i dont buy extra clip`s, i`ll need them. If i do buy extra clip`s, i`ll never need them...lol.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Yeah i was looking them over and i saw those mickey mouse clips. What the heck is up with that?!?!?! No doubt i will be buying some extra`s just to have as spares in the tractor tool box just in case. If i dont buy extra clip`s, i`ll need them. If i do buy extra clip`s, i`ll never need them...lol.
I was thinking the same approach. I believe the same relationship with shear bolts.

I like the build quality of the Land Pride BB but I would have preferred a design like others with through-pins with clips vs. the "spacer" clips. I already dropped one into the frame once and had to extract it and it means always having a set of pliers with me when I use the box blade if I need to adjust the scarifiers/tines. First world problems......

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
I was thinking the same approach. I believe the same relationship with shear bolts.

I like the build quality of the Land Pride BB but I would have preferred a design like others with through-pins with clips vs. the "spacer" clips. I already dropped one into the frame once and had to extract it and it means always having a set of pliers with me when I use the box blade if I need to adjust the scarifiers/tines. First world problems......
I`m right there with ya my friend. They should have used pins like everybody else instead of this tension clip garbage. Some engineer at kubota got a fatter bonus check for making something different.

Depending on how it works out, when i do get my LP box blade, i may just change it to a pin design instead of a clip. I myself, would much rather have tool-less changes. And if you lose the pliers in the meantime...lol.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That's the single reason why I didn't get a LP box blade. I really don't get why they decided to go that way.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
That's the single reason why I didn't get a LP box blade. I really don't get why they decided to go that way.
Yeah, truth be told I ordered a RB1560 with my 2601 and the dealer prepped a BB1260 instead by accident, they were going to swap them out and I just told them to cut a decent deal on the BB and put the rear blade on the delivery truck too as I would have bought a BB in the spring anyways.

That being said, the BB has worked fine.....I find the pins annoying but I also haven't had to change things much so for the handful of times per year I would change them I will live with it.

If I spent time shopping over the winter I might have gone another route BUT I also am not sure I would have really picked up on that without any experience.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
The more i thought about the spring clip design, the more i was ok with it.
1) Its not like your on an off the tractor constantly to change the height of the shanks.
2) My dealer said he`s never had to replace any clips since he started selling this style.
3) If the clips wear at some point, they are certainly easily replaceable. Dealer hasn`t seen any wear yet.

I asked my dealer the same question you stated. He said the clip design is lasting longer than the previous design with the pin. He said they sell quite a few pins a year, but not the newer designed spring clips. I dont know, but i`ll be finding out how good or how long they last...lol.

And if you price a BB from other company`s, the LP was far cheaper, and made just as strong.