Do they make a larger pedal for locking rear end

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
A bigger pedal on your emergency pedal, (diff lock), sure. Do it. Go ahead. But it's a last ditch tool. It's small for a reason.
I use mine when needed for climbing a slick hill, mainly. I wish the BX23s had individual brakes.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sorry, my mistake, I thought all Kubota SCUTs and CUTs have individual brakes.
And some of the ones that do, have them on the same side as the treadle, for all those three legged folks.

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Maybe just leave it locked in until I need to unlock it. $110 buys allot of diesel fuel.
You might be surprised how little $110 will buy in repairs. But that slot isn’t to lock the diff lock in place.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
My 1880 has this small pedal to engage the rear axel lock. Sometimes it’s a bitch to get my heel to press it down. Does anyone make a larger one?
Yes they are out there! Makes it easier to accidentally step on while moving which results in your tractor having to be torn down and costly repairs! The diff lock is only to get you to the point where you regain traction. Not for driving around or turning left or right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
@NorthwoodsLife pretty much said it all.

I am no tractor guru like a lot of you are (TG-17YRS, BX 3-4YRS) but I, too have used the diff lock exactly once. I was snowblowing a long path out behind a shed where the snow had been accumulating for a couple months (not hours) and got myself stuck in 1.5' of "old snow" on a sharp turn.

Diff lock to the rescue.

I am fine having it tucked out of the way.

I can't imagine the ensuing internal carnage if I was accidently stepping on it if it was 3 or 4 times the size.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I come from lineage of off-roading, and know when the diff lock should be used, but thanks for the input. Wet clay tends to get pretty slick. Infact, breaking HST traction and snowboarding a 1.5 ton tractor straight down a hill for 40 feet is interesting. Pucker up. That's a hill the diff lock was meant for.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My pedal mod looks bigger in the picture than it actually is in person, and it only projects forward about 2". Trying to press down on that slick metal rod with my snow/ mud covered heel was nearly impossible. My leg cannot exert as much force in that direction as it can pushing on a brake or clutch pedal. For the record, I have NEVER accidentally stepped on the diff lock even when dancing on the platform. You can see by all the paint that is still on it.

Thanks for the positive comments on my build...it's just my Applied OCD kicking in.
Attach30296_20231013_103422.png

Last edited:

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Diff lock is only meant to be engaged/disengaged when stopped. Try to engage while moving you stand a good chance of breaking expensive and time consuming sh##, also should not be used when turning.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Hillside farm we use the diff locks often. Wanted to make sure my wife fully engaged in several spots of the “lawn”. Boots are often muddy when needing the diff lock. Simple rectangular tubing and split shaft collars.
IMG_1813.jpeg
IMG_1799.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1786.jpeg
IMG_1780.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
My point is that there are better ways to gain traction. Easier ways. Individual brakes.

Respectfully, Digging yourself out with the loader and or BH is as common as dirt. We've all had to do that.

But, If one is wearing the paint off of the floor pan because thier heel is on the diff lock pedal all the time, there are other issues:
Either the tractor is regularly driven places it shouldn't be.
Or the tractor is abused. Mud bogger, etc.
Or the tractor is too small with not enuf ground clearance for the owners regular use. Abuse.
Or the operator isn't experienced with individual brakes and alway bangs on the diff lock in any traction loss situation.
Or the rippers are too deep.
Or the operator just doesn"t know wtf they are doing and live on the diff lock pedal.
There are many reasons.

A bigger pedal on your emergency pedal, (diff lock), sure. Do it. Go ahead. But it's a last ditch tool. It's small for a reason.

Have to take the loader off to install the front mounted snowblower, don't want chains as tractor is parked on a epoxy painted floor in the garage. BH is off as I install a back blade that has a salter/sander mounted on it too. Live uphill on a 1/2 mile driveway that is gravel. Like a bigger pedal as the moon boots makes it hard to press the small pedal.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Have to take the loader off to install the front mounted snowblower, don't want chains as tractor is parked on a epoxy painted floor in the garage. BH is off as I install a back blade that has a salter/sander mounted on it too. Live uphill on a 1/2 mile driveway that is gravel. Like a bigger pedal as the moon boots makes it hard to press the small pedal.
I get it. You guys are in the mud and slime and wear sexy boots like @Smokeydog. (Those boots are cool, no offense. Just having fun with it) So you make the peddle bigger. But they make them small because it's not regularly used, and it's HARD on the tractor and transmission. But everyone's situation is different.

In my use, over time, the diff lock is a last ditch effort. Like ejecting from a plane (tractor) that's going to crash (get stuck). I used my diff lock twice last winter when I got my LX too close to my driveways edge and slid into the ditch during a blizzard. 1st time it worked as I pushed out with the loader too. 2nd time I had to winch out with my trucks winch.

Anyway, if it floats your boat, or tractor, make a bigger pedal for it. There are some awesome DIY peddle add ons in this thread. But in my opinion, in most cases, the diff lock is used at times when using the individual brakes (if equipped) is the better method. And less strain on the tractor.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have way more time than money, so I made my own. View attachment 113782 View attachment 113783 View attachment 113784

Hillside farm we use the diff locks often. Wanted to make sure my wife fully engaged in several spots of the “lawn”. Boots are often muddy when needing the diff lock. Simple rectangular tubing and split shaft collars. View attachment 113826 View attachment 113827 View attachment 113828 View attachment 113829 View attachment 113830

Those are F'ing sweet gentlemen!

Flawless executions, and outstanding workmanship example!!!!

I love'em both, Hell, I don't even need one, but now I wanna make one.

• Haha

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
I use the diff lock on my little B5100 when the traction shifts rapidly from tire to tire - typically in deep snow, or in mud when dragging a log... When one tire is spinning consistently, using that tire's wheel brake actually works better, and I don't have to stop to engage it, unlike the diff lock. The pedal is easy to miss, though, I'll think about painting it orange :).

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
And some of the ones that do, have them on the same side as the treadle, for all those three legged folks.
My L48 has individual brakes on the same side as the treadle pedal. I can't adequately express how stupid of a design this is. My grandfather's Massey Ferguson 35 brakes were never locked together. We used them individually very often. You could turn on a dime with the brush hog raised, just don't be going to fast! And was definitely a plus when one side lost traction. Most of the time a couple of taps was all it would take to get rolling again.

Doug

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
My M5030DT had a nice diff lock peddle as well as various other brands of tractors. M5030 also had an automatic Detroit type locker in the front. Sure miss that feature.

Newer Kubota’s have that round bar with stiff spring. One of worst things you can do is partially engage and expect long service life. Have never had any problem with any tractor diff lock and they get used a lot around here.

Debatable diff lock or brakes cause the most wear. Spinning wheels is never good.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I agree the diff lock shouldn’t be used on a regular basis. For me it’s a last ditch effort and rarely used. That said what’s there isn’t quite adequate. Maybe because all my boots heals are about wore out and rounded off too much. I may just put some skateboard tape on mine. It needs something to help with grip as my boot heel just slips off. I am already in a precarious situation when I need it and when my heel keeps slipping off the little round bar it just raises the stress level.