Do stupid things... win stupid prizes

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
OK, so I know hind sight being 20/20 and I shoulda listened to that voice in my head saying "Hey stupid, if your hand slips it's gonna HURT".

Well, my hand slipped. In sort, I was using a tool not consistent with package labeling and I have no one to blame but myself.

As soon as it happened I thought, "great, the wife is gonna love taking me to the E.R. again".

Checked the wound, yup, gonna need some stitches and the nearest medical center is almost an hour away. Off we go (after calling the in-laws to come watch the kids while they sleep)

A couple hours later I have 4 stitches and a chemically cauterized wound on my pinky finger.

Ugh, yes, I was in a hurry, trying to do something I shouldn't have and I won a prize. At least I didn't lose a finger, or require an overnight stay at the hospital. Just a loss of pride and a lesson for my kids.

Take care, and listen to that voice in your head when it says to stop what you're doing or you might get hurt.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
OK, I'll bite, what were you doing? Shoot, 4 stitches is nothing new to me. Last chainsaw incident was 8 or 10, IIRR... Used to be recognized as a "regular" at the ER...:D:D

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Been There, Done That.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Well that sucks.
Been there done that. Yup i was right when i thought that was gonna hurt. Dont even want to think how many visits to the er.

Good thing is i havent lost any digits yet either.

Friend just posted on FB the gash he hust got stitched up. Couple days later he showed the tool. Somehow he stuck his arm in the sliding compound mitre saw.

I told him he was dumb, with a few expletives. Saws terrify me. They always will.

Rule number one,if you think its gonna hurt, you're right.
Play safe.

kckndrgn

Equipment
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
OK, I'll bite, what were you doing? Shoot, 4 stitches is nothing new to me. Last chainsaw incident was 8 or 10, IIRR... Used to be recognized as a "regular" at the ER...:D:D
I used a drill bit (brand new FWIW) as a push rod. Needless to say when the item that was getting pushed on my hand slid down (other fingers protected by the tube I was holding on to.

So I had 2 cuts, one from each flute of the drill bit.

I'm sure we've all BTDT, GTTS.

Stay safe out there!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I used a drill bit (brand new FWIW) as a push rod. Needless to say when the item that was getting pushed on my hand slid down (other fingers protected by the tube I was holding on to.

So I had 2 cuts, one from each flute of the drill bit.

I'm sure we've all BTDT, GTTS.

Stay safe out there!
Sounds more like instead of GTTS it was GBOTTS... (Got Blood On The T-Shirt):D

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
One would hope that as we get older, we would learn. I had a really stupid ladder fall that put me in a wheelchair for 6 months at age 43 - an age when one should really know better. I've somehow managed to avoid anything that serious in the 16 years since then, but I'm still young and stupid.

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I had a guy working for me went to use a hole saw in a cordless drill. Put the bit/saw in and like we all do to tighten a chuck, he grabbed the saw drum to "run the chuck down" . Opened up the palm of his hand all the way to daylight through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Had a buddy try drilling a hole in a 4 square electrical box cover. Used a uni bit in a high speed drill and held the metal cover in his hand.

Bit caught in the cover and spun it at a pretty good clip. Buddy ended up with 12 stitches and almost lost his thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I shoulda listened to that voice in my head saying "Hey stupid, if your hand slips it's gonna HURT".
I'll bet many of us can relate to that statement...:eek::eek:

From experience, we can predict the hazards before they happen.:eek: Unfortunately, we are also pretty good at not listening - just ask my wife!:D

While it's been several years...oh, geez did I REALLY say that?...??...:confused:

I was at the point where I never went back to have stitches removed, just took them out myself, and I was good at it.:p

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Years ago I was using a 4 1/8" hole saw to cut the hole for the drier vent (see pic). The saw got bound up & my ancient Milwaukee 90 degree HoleHawg picked me clear off the ground, rotated me around, & deposited me directly on my head on the other side of the hole, all before I could get off the trigger. The cord was short & unplugged itself before I made a full revolution.(or more)
I didn't need any stitches, but I was sore all over for a week.
Next time I mount the drill on the FEL of the B7100.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Hole saws seem to be a big one. Making holes in a valance-between two verticals,a little tight so i spread the verticals. Saw bit in and walked across my finger. Saw was new and cordless drill was quite powerful. That was 5 stitches.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'll bet many of us can relate to that statement...:eek:

From experience, we can predict the hazards before they happen.:eek: Unfortunately, we are also pretty good at not listening - just ask my wife!

While it's been several years...oh, geez did I REALLY say that?...??...:confused:

I was at the point where I never went back to have stitches removed, just took them out myself, and I was good at it.:p
I don't get stitches anymore :rolleyes: My lovely wife likes to remind me of how stupid I was by cleaning the cut really good, holding it open slightly, and the runs a bead of super glue down it, and then squeezes it together. :eek::eek:

It will make you sing and dance pretty darn good though :eek::eek: feels like someone dosed it in paint thinner and lit it on fire ;)

Suprisingly, no scar, or very little scaring, with some dooseys over the years.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Seems I have lived most of my life, severing as a good example of what not to do

kckndrgn

Equipment
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
Did it hurt right away

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
For me, nope. Nice brand new and sharp drill bit. The only time it hurts now is when I hit it or apply too much pressure to it.

When I did it, it was one of those things where even though it didn't hurt I knew it was bad. Even while cleaning the injury at home it didn't hurt, now when the numbing agent was injected into the injury, yeah that stung a bit