Disking With / Without Loader

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I'm a new L3800 owner and I've got a 4' disk. I've been disking with my loader on. Sometimes my tractor rocks back and forth and the loader kind of bounces when I hit a rough patch and the disk looses contact with the ground. Maybe this is normal. My disk is not that heavy and I'm sure the loader weighs more than my disk. I'm wondering if disking without the loader would reduce the rocking. I suppose I could add a lot of weight to the disk but it might require some fabrication. So I guess my question is, has anyone had a similar problem and would removing he loader help remedy the problem?

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It doesn't sound like your 3PH is fully down and in float. The disc should never leave the ground (causing the tractor to rock).

Not sure how the 3PH lever works on a L3800. If it is like a BX2200, which automatically returns the 3PH lever to center, then a bungee cord may be necessary to hold the lever in the "down" position to get full float.

If the 3PH lever remains all the way "down" for float then maybe the 3PH's lift arms (vertical) are in holes that are too high. Try changing where the vertical arms attach to the horizontal arms to the lowest hole to give more drop to the 3PH.

That will drop the horizontal lift arms to allow the disc and the tractor to operate more independently. The disc should conform to the terrain regardless of what the tractor is doing.

In short, the problem is most likely an adjustment rather than having the FEL on.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I'm wondering if disking without the loader would reduce the rocking.
Yes removing the FEL will reduce bouncing(rocking)of the tractor. Or you could invest in a nitrogen accumulator for FEL boom circuit to absorb the bounce.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
If you have a quick release bucket, I would opt to just dump the bucket. Sure the FEL comes on and off relatively easily but I would vote for the best bang for the buck. This comes from a guy that's a little gun shy with hydraulic hoses. My brand new FEL developed a leak because the dealer felt the need to show me how easily it comes off even after I told him I would never take it off.

Dumping all that weight off the front of the front tires will greatly reduce the lifting moment it creates on the back tires. Your rear tires will be better planted and the previous questions of the float should still apply, just now you have much more weight on the back tires.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
My tractor is at the camp but I just happened to have a random pic of the back of my tractor. The lower links are not in the lowest position. I'll make that adjustment when I go back next weekend. I'll also try dropping the bucket when I disk next time and report back. Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
My loader stays Off unless I Need it. The tractor works so much better mowing, box blading, disking, etc with the loader Off! 5 minutes to take it off, or put it on...

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I used to take my loader all the time unless needed. Since I installed the QA I just remove the bucket. It's much easier that way.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
What are you doing with a four foot disc? A ford 8n came with a 7or 8 ft. disc. Make sure the lift arms are in there lowest holes and add half of a railroad tie and some rocks. You can really cut with the front of the disc by shorting the top link. The front loader is not hurting you - you are hurting yourself with the disc size.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
What are you doing with a four foot disc? A ford 8n came with a 7or 8 ft. disc. Make sure the lift arms are in there lowest holes and add half of a railroad tie and some rocks. You can really cut with the front of the disc by shorting the top link. The front loader is not hurting you - you are hurting yourself with the disc size.
I agree that my tractor can handle a larger disk. This is my first tractor and I bought it for $350. I figured it would be an inexpensive one to learn on before I invested in a larger one.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
I am on the same learning curve after 40 years so do not feel alone. The four foot disc would be great for someone with a 1600 yanmar. You bought it right so you should be okay. No need to pay more fore a larger one there is a good deal of Dearborn stuff still out there and scrap prices are down. Iron ore is below 85 dollars a metric ton so scrap or old iron is worth less.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I agree that my tractor can handle a larger disk. This is my first tractor and I bought it for $350. I figured it would be an inexpensive one to learn on before I invested in a larger one.
Very, VERY wise decision for learning and to evaluate your needs. I had one tractor for 25 years, an L3650, that led to my current configuration. But apparently I'm a slow learner.

Anyway, your 4' disc should be just fine. It will take longer to disc, of course, but just consider it learning time...especially if you enjoy it.

Don't hesitate to come back and ask more questions, get more opinions, update issues, or perhaps add some knowledge you gained.

However, this is the Internet and is open to all so be aware that you have to filter out some responses that are negative or misinformed.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Personally I would take the FEL off and only put it on when needed, as bluegill mentioned. It is very easy to do and only take a couple minutes. The ride is considerably better without it too.

I add weight toy disk and box blade. To put the 3pt in float put the lever down all the way. I see nothing wrong with using a 4ft disk, although if you have an option in the future a 6dt disk will cover you tire tracks.

Just my 2 cents, of course

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The L3800 has a very short wheel base, this makes a more bouncy ride and the weight of the FEL makes it noticeably worse. Counter weight on the 3 pt hitch does help and is a must! But the tractor works much better with the FEL off!

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I leave it on for everything but mowing. Probably takes a minute to pull it off, if even that. While its warming up I raise the FEL and extend the stands. Then just drive it over to the shade and its off in a minute or less.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
One more thing occurred to me since you are new to tractors/discing.

The top link connection on the disc may have a U-shaped swivel of some sort. Bush Hog mowers have these to allow the mower to flex up and down over high and low spots without leaving the ground or causing the tractor to bounce.

If your disc has one of these devices, then the top link should be extended sufficiently to allow the disc to be lifted so the rear gangs clear the ground by about a foot. The front gangs should lift much higher.

If the disc does not have the feature, then you can try to use a length chain in place of the top link to get the same results.

However, make sure the disc is staying flat on the ground when moving and not rotating so the front gangs dig in more than the rears. If the fronts dig in, causing the disc to rotate forward, then go back to the solid top link.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Reporting back after disking this weekend. I moved the vertical lifting arms to the lowest hole and disconnected the bucket. Man what a difference. The disk actually floated and the rocking was reduced significantly. It was much more comfortable to drive. I got some good practice dropping the bucket too. I would drop it on the edge of the field, reconnect it when I was finished and move to the next field.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

GWD, I checked and my top link does not have a U-shaped swivel. It's just a plain Jane top link. Good to know though.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It is always nice to hear back from an OP. It is especially nice when there is success!

Enjoy!

(BTW, I was referring to the top link attachment point to the disc rather than the top link itself. If you happen across a rotary cutter you'll likely see the feature.)

Last edited:

Otisdog

Equipment
L 3800, LP RCR 1260 cutter, LP LP FTP 500 spreader, LA 524 loader
May 5, 2013
Decatur, Alabama
I use a five foot disk on my l3800 weighted with a cross tie , loader on. No problem after two seasons

Crystal Lake

Equipment
MX5100HST
Sep 22, 2014
Jonesboro, AR
One thing I do to keep the bucket from bouncing is to roll it down just an inch or two. Seems to put a little fluid in the cylinder and it stops the shake.