Disc harrows

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Good Works Tractors featured a Dirt Dog disc harrow today. They're made in GA and appear to be decent products. After watching the video I found myself wishing I had a need for one!

I have been to their facility many times. when I hauled for a local tractor place, we were a dirt dog distributor. Good group of people there.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have been to their facility many times. when I hauled for a local tractor place, we were a dirt dog distributor. Good group of people there.
That's good to hear. Courtney has featured more than a few Dirt Dog products and they appear to be well made and overbuilt. Is that your impression too based on the products you've seen?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
That's good to hear. Courtney has featured more than a few Dirt Dog products and they appear to be well made and overbuilt. Is that your impression too based on the products you've seen?
For what I’ve seen, and remember, yes. Everything was very stout that I hauled from there. Like everything, they have a value line and a more robust line, I think it is more tied to size, rather than how LP does it as a series.

Where I work now has a leveler from them. I just replaced the skids and flipped a cutting edge a few months ago.

I was actually looking at Dirt dog harrows, my local dealer carries them. Wanted to compare, but couldn’t get their website to work or find harrows on it. Even texted my salesman, but he was off and didn’t have specifics in hand.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
For what I’ve seen, and remember, yes. Everything was very stout that I hauled from there. Like everything, they have a value line and a more robust line, I think it is more tied to size, rather than how LP does it as a series.

Where I work now has a leveler from them. I just replaced the skids and flipped a cutting edge a few months ago.

I was actually looking at Dirt dog harrows, my local dealer carries them. Wanted to compare, but couldn’t get their website to work or find harrows on it. Even texted my salesman, but he was off and didn’t have specifics in hand.

Good Works Tractors has Dirt Dog harrows in stock.

Not sure how they compare to EA though.

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
I use a set of disc harrows along with a drag harrow. It works well for me over a tiller because we have very rocky soil so I'm not as concerned with broken tiller tines or other issues. In some areas were the ground is a bit harder I find that I have to make more than one pass to get the results I want but overall it works really well.

IMG_6727.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Good Works Tractors has Dirt Dog harrows in stock.

Not sure how they compare to EA though.
All I am seeing is "available for pre-order" on every set in the drop down menu.

That too, and they are more $ than EA, that's why I went looking on their site for specs to compare the two.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
All I am seeing is "available for pre-order" on every set in the drop down menu.

That too, and they are more $ than EA, that's why I went looking on their site for specs to compare the two.
Ooops ... you're right. Sorry about that. If I were in the market for one I'd order from EA too. I like the way the EA model has the crank to adjust the angle of attack. It looks better than Dirt Dog's design. The EA is a heavy model for sure. Looking forward to seeing photos of your harrow in action.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Went to that Fred Cain page, doesn't say how DEEP it'll go, so it'd only work on surface hardpan(6-8" ??). I run a single tooth 'subsoiler' that's goes down about 30". In the wife's garden I could run 2nd gear, high range,easy. In the neighbour's field(30 years notill) 1st gear,LOW range, full throttle and tractor(40HP) NOT really happy.
I'd run subsoiler, plow, discs with harrows, then rototiller for the wife's garden AND add 20-60 yds of compost every year.
I was able to sink the tines all the way with the Fred Cain implement (17”).

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Ooops ... you're right. Sorry about that. If I were in the market for one I'd order from EA too. I like the way the EA model has the crank to adjust the angle of attack. It looks better than Dirt Dog's design. The EA is a heavy model for sure. Looking forward to seeing photos of your harrow in action.
No worries. Like I said I went looking, couldn’t find anything on Dirt dog site, got the old googler out and found GWT. Looked there but didn’t see much info... but do now. The 200-18 would compare to the EA 82” 20 20” it is a bit lighter at 815 vs 1100ish.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Finally got around to buying something.
Went with the 82” 20 20” discs. Should be nice after the 2 bottom in garden and to rough up a few wildflower spots for the pollinators.
@Matt Ellerbee, what was your decision process for choosing 20" discs over 18" or 22"? Why 82" rather than 98"?

I've been watching YouTube videos and doing some research and a disc could be in my future if it'll do what I need i.e. help with weed control in the field. The field has a lot of knapweed and rocks below the surface or poking through, and I would like to eliminate weeds and grow decent grass. I would also like to break up mounds caused by voles, ground squirrels and such. Would discing the field when the knapweed is bolting or before it bolts help to kill it off? I despise knapweed! 😡 Would discing level off the field too?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
@Matt Ellerbee, what was your decision process for choosing 20" discs over 18" or 22"? Why 82" rather than 98"?

I've been watching YouTube videos and doing some research and a disc could be in my future if it'll do what I need i.e. help with weed control in the field. The field has a lot of knapweed and rocks below the surface or poking through, and I would like to eliminate weeds and grow decent grass. I would also like to break up mounds caused by voles, ground squirrels and such. Would discing the field when the knapweed is bolting or before it bolts help to kill it off? I despise knapweed! 😡 Would discing level off the field too?
Guy on FB said he had that size, and Travis said that’s what he recommends for the MX. Also, money. That’s a crazy expensive set of yard art most of the time.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Guy on FB said he had that size, and Travis said that’s what he recommends for the MX. Also, money. That’s a crazy expensive set of yard art most of the time.
Thanks. Yeah, they're kind of pricey but should last a lifetime if looked after. Also, when you think about how much disposable items cost these days, it's not so hard to invest in non-disposable implements. Plus it'll look good sitting on your property as yard art.

Hopefully you'll receive the harrow soon and can provide some feedback. If I were to buy one I'd be pulling it behind the M6060 so would probably choose the biggest model available. In for a penny, in for a pound right.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
mcmxi The problem with discs is it disturbs the weed seeds in the ground and you have more weeds then. You need a sprayer and a no till drill to get the grass started and keep spraying the weeds. Your going to need to trap what ever is digging the holes. We have lot of critters around here digging in fields, pastures and CRP land. Its a on going problem. Been all week spot spraying pastures. The MX has been doing fine.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
mcmxi The problem with discs is it disturbs the weed seeds in the ground and you have more weeds then. You need a sprayer and a no till drill to get the grass started and keep spraying the weeds. Your going to need to trap what ever is digging the holes. We have lot of critters around here digging in fields, pastures and CRP land. Its a on going problem. Been all week spot spraying pastures. The MX has been doing fine.
@hedgerow, thanks very much for the feedback. Knapweed is such a big problem up here. I put down weevils last year but that's a very slow tide. I don't want to spray so am just cutting at the moment. You make a good point about disturbing the soil. I guess my thought was if I cut up the weeds and exposed the roots by regular discing they would eventually die off enough to let grass seeds establish and choke out the knapweed. Probably a fool's errand based on your comments.

As for all the critters in the ground, there are so many of them I don't know where to start. My neighbor's tenant likes to shoot the ground squirrels so I let him. I haven't tried to trap any voles but they're incredibly destructive.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
@hedgerow, You make a good point about disturbing the soil. I guess my thought was if I cut up the weeds and exposed the roots by regular discing they would eventually die off enough to let grass seeds establish and choke out the knapweed. Probably a fool's errand based on your comments.
Discing weeds is an efficient way to take them down (if tall and thick) to clear trails and field edges.

Unfortunately, if you want to establish grass....you'll hate yourself for discing a field for that purpose.

Weed seeds lie dormant in the soil for years and years and LOVE disturbed soil. You'd be trading one type of weed for several others and typically weeds outgrow grass.

Once grass is established and gets thick enough it will choke out a lot of other undesirable vegetation. But in your case, spraying is the answer.

Your logic was not bad.....it just doesn't play out that way in reality. (y)

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Discing weeds is an efficient way to take them down (if tall and thick) to clear trails and field edges.

Unfortunately, if you want to establish grass....you'll hate yourself for discing a field for that purpose.

Weed seeds lie dormant in the soil for years and years and LOVE disturbed soil. You'd be trading one type of weed for several others and typically weeds outgrow grass.

Once grass is established and gets thick enough it will choke out a lot of other undesirable vegetation. But in your case, spraying is the answer.

Thanks. I really don't want to spray if I can help it but I might have to eventually. The problem with knapweed though is that it poisons the soil. Evil stuff. Maybe those weevils will get the job done until the grass can get reestablished. Maybe I need some goats!

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Correct. Spraying with 2-4-D will kill broadleaf weeds, but not grass. Discing will perpetuate weeds.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
There's an 8ft Schafer disc harrow for sale on Craigslist near me with hydraulic raise/lower and some spare bearings. Asking $1,300. The thing looks stout and obviously is pull behind with the draw bar vs. 3-point.

00m0m_8SpPBiigiz0z_1ck0TK_1200x900.jpg

00f0f_akvhqDp3d7Ez_1ck0TK_1200x900.jpg

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I
There's an 8ft Schafer disc harrow for sale on Craigslist near me with hydraulic raise/lower and some spare bearings. Asking $1,300. The thing looks stout and obviously is pull behind with the draw bar vs. 3-point.

View attachment 84633

View attachment 84634

View attachment 84633

View attachment 84634
I don’t understand why it is ‘near you’ at this point…scrap value may well be worth that and it sure looks like in working order. That would be awesome to use to prepare food plots for those elk you feed off every year😉

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don’t understand why it is ‘near you’ at this point…scrap value may well be worth that and it sure looks like in working order. That would be awesome to use to prepare food plots for those elk you feed off every year😉
The steel in that beast is worth more than $1,300 so I hear you!

It's not legal to grow food plots in Montana for the purpose of attracting deer and elk. There is a FWP program to grow food plots for game birds though. I should look into that for my friend whose fields I just cut.