Dirt Dog vs Iron Craft 6' Box Blade?

jcwren

Equipment
L4701HST w/ LA765, RCR1272, Forks
Jul 22, 2021
Clarkesville, GA
I'm needing to get a box blade for my L4701, and I'm looking at the Dirt Dog SBX72 and the IronCraft 3206. The IronCraft is about $250 less expensive, and I'm wondering if I'm giving up anything going with them. I do have an IronCraft landscape rake that's done well. A local dealer also carries Lowery, which I'm not familiar with. At $250 less than the IronCraft, that might be another possibility.

Does anyone have any direct experience with both and can tell me why I should choose one over the other?

Thanks!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm needing to get a box blade for my L4701, and I'm looking at the Dirt Dog SBX72 and the IronCraft 3206. The IronCraft is about $250 less expensive, and I'm wondering if I'm giving up anything going with them. I do have an IronCraft landscape rake that's done well. A local dealer also carries Lowery, which I'm not familiar with. At $250 less than the IronCraft, that might be another possibility.

Does anyone have any direct experience with both and can tell me why I should choose one over the other?

Thanks!
Dirt Dog makes good stuff.
Your choice is simple.......
Buy good stuff,.... or cheap stuff?
When you bend, or break the cheap stuff,...... then you can decide to buy the good stuff.

I have a King Kutter.
Seems OK, but I do not use it..

jcwren

Equipment
Jul 22, 2021
Clarkesville, GA
Dirt Dog makes good stuff.
Your choice is simple.......
Buy good stuff,.... or cheap stuff?
When you bend, or break the cheap stuff,...... then you can decide to buy the good stuff.

I have a King Kutter.
Seems OK, but I do not use it..
Being less expensive doesn't necessarily make it cheap. Some brands are overpriced and some brands are undervalued. I'm looking for an actual comparison, not a "It's cheaper therefore it must suck" shot from the hip evaluation.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Being less expensive doesn't necessarily make it cheap. Some brands are overpriced and some brands are undervalued. I'm looking for an actual comparison, not a "It's cheaper therefore it must suck" shot from the hip evaluation.
IronCraft was formerly Titan Implements and they had a very good reputation, unlike Titan Attachments. Dirt Dog has a good reputation too so I doubt you'd go wrong with either. But given the positive experience with your IronCraft landscape rake it might make sense to stay with what you know. I tend to become very brand loyal when I have a good experiece with a manufacturer, hence Kubota and Everything Attachments for example.

The only other member I'm aware of who owns anything from IronCraft is @Matt Ellerbee and he seems to be very pleased with the tiller he bought from them.

Reactions: 1 users

jcwren

Equipment
Jul 22, 2021
Clarkesville, GA
IronCraft was formerly Titan Implements and they had a very good reputation, unlike Titan Attachments. Dirt Dog has a good reputation too so I doubt you'd go wrong with either. But given the positive experience with your IronCraft landscape rake it might make sense to stay with what you know. I tend to become very brand loyal when I have a good experiece with a manufacturer, hence Kubota and Everything Attachments for example.

The only other member I'm aware of who owns anything from IronCraft is @Matt Ellerbee and he seems to be very pleased with the tiller he bought from them.
Thanks. Yah, I'm happy they changed their name. I bought my rake when they were still Titan Implements, and I wasn't really aware of the difference. Later I found out, and was pleased I didn't wind up with some Titan Attachments garbage.

I like that IronCraft is made in Decatur, TN, and that Dirt Dog is in Commerce, GA. I'm not using this commercially, or probably even all that much after I level out about a one acre plot where some commercial chicken coops used to be on my property. As long as no one comes forward with a compelling reason not to go with the IronCraft box blade, it's probably what I'll select.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
All 992#’s of her!

@jcwren quickly looking at specs, there is only about 30# difference between the two. With the Ironcraft as the lighter one. I didn’t compare material thickness or number of shanks.

I have personally been to the dirt dog facility just outside of Athens, Georgia. Very mom and pop so to speak. I would assume Ironcraft is the same. As is EA.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
In my many years of life on this earth, I have come to find that you...... usually get what you pay for.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have a 5 foot Dirt Dog box blade, and I am pleased with it. Used it to level several sites and spread more than 100 tons of gravel. I have no point of comparison with Ironcraft. I would note that mine fit my QH10 without any modification. If you use a QH, just something else to verify.

jcwren

Equipment
Jul 22, 2021
Clarkesville, GA
I have a 5 foot Dirt Dog box blade, and I am pleased with it. Used it to level several sites and spread more than 100 tons of gravel. I have no point of comparison with Ironcraft. I would note that mine fit my QH10 without any modification. If you use a QH, just something else to verify.
The both claim to be QH compatible, and I have both a Landpride and a Speeco QH. I've been using the Speeco lately because I don't like buying the adapters for the Landpride. But if it doesn't work with the QH, it's going back :)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The both claim to be QH compatible, and I have both a Landpride and a Speeco QH. I've been using the Speeco lately because I don't like buying the adapters for the Landpride. But if it doesn't work with the QH, it's going back :)
Might be worth looking at Everything Attachments too. They have a sale on at the moment, and I like how the scarifiers don't pass through the front tube but rather are supported with thick plate behind the tube. Recently there was a member with a Woods box blade if I remember correctly, that had the scarifier rip out of the tube.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I have always been partial to ROBB (rollover box blades) Nice to have the scarifiers set in place in seconds vs stopping and doing each ripper one at a time or paying the astronomical price for hydraulic actuated scarifiers.
I believe my 1000lb, 81" wide unit was the last ROBB unit built by Gannon.

Dirt Dog has a similar unit available.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Check out Woods, their BB are heavier than most of the ones I saw when shopping around. My 54" weighs close to 500lbs IIRC so it'll do double duty as ballast

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
In my experience I regret buying attachments from new/unkown vendors based on photos only and I wish I checked them out in person before putting money down.

jcwren

Equipment
Jul 22, 2021
Clarkesville, GA
In my experience I regret buying attachments from new/unkown vendors based on photos only and I wish I checked them out in person before putting money down.
I very much agree. I'd buy a Dirt Dog or IronCraft locally, so I can check them out first. It appears the Everything Attachments is only available direct from EA. I like the looks of the EA, but it's pricey. They do have free shipping, but only to a business address or a shipping dock. There's probably a location around here I can have it shipped to, but I haven't researched that.