Diesel Runaways

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I think I’d put it in high gear and let out the clutch if I coudn’t shut off the air or discharge a CO-2 extinguisher into the intake:

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
When I was a teen getting ready to go deep sea fishing, another boater was doing maintenance on his engine which was a Detroit Diesel. On restart, it went full rack and he had disconnected and not bothered to reconnect the air shutoff flap. For some reason he had a city phone book nearby and he blocked the air intake with that which did stop it before it went Chernobyl.

The funniest part was a recognizable piece of the back cover of the phone book made it out the exhaust, perhaps a testament to the simplicity of those two cycle engines. They were favorite engines of many of the commercial shrimpers because as the saying went, no other engine will continue running so well with so many things wrong with it. And that is an important characteristic when out in the gulf with weather prone to very rapid change.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The funniest part was a recognizable piece of the back cover of the phone book made it out the exhaust,

The Army's old M88 tank recovery vehicle ran on gas, an air cooled V-12 displacing 1500 cubic inches. The intake was about 8 or 9 inches in diameter, I'd guess. I was nearby when one was ground hopped (started while on the ground) and it ran away. (throttle linkage not hooked up). A clipboard stopped it pretty quickly.

Later one of the mechanics told me that he had seen one suck a field jacket in pretty far down the intake, and they had learned not to use anything that wasn't rigid.

JoeR

Equipment
L3010 HST with Loader
Mar 7, 2023
Stokesdale, NC
In every one of those instances I'd be terrified of the flywheel shattering. You only have to see that once to gain a healthy respect for it.
Joe

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I know of a situation where a diesel powered trencher broke a natural gas line. They did not get it stopped.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I know of a situation where a diesel powered trencher broke a natural gas line. They did not get it stopped.
That happened in my area about 2 years ago. 3 younger farmers in their 30s starting families where out installing tile and hit a natural gas line. Very sad situation.

About 10 years ago my dad was working at a grain elevator. The lp driver was filling up the truck from the giant tank. The truck wasnt chocked, rolled back and snapped the hose causing the lp to hiss everywhere and get sucked into the truck. The emergency shut off didn't work on the big tank, and the truck was old and didn't have any safety features to stop it from reving up. The truck caught on fire which caused the main tank to blow. Luckily the driver ran into the office and got everyone out before the facility turned into a crater.