Diesel Fuel

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
New to the forum, Just purchased a new BX1880 which will be delivered this week. Is there any difference between off road diesel fuel and regular diesel fuel? Can either be run in a BX ? I purchased 10 gallons of regular diesel fuel. Also ,is it ok to use a stabilizer with diesel fuel? Star Tron, Sta Bil 360 ? I use Marvel Mystery oil in my gas tractor, can that safely be used in a BX diesel? What do you guys recommend?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Off road is exactly like on road except it has red dye in it. Basically you just arent taxed federal and state road taxes on it. Run it only in farm equipment or risk being stopped by DOT and fined.

It is fine to run in your BX

Reactions: 1 user

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Off road is exactly like on road except it has red dye in it. Basically you just arent taxed federal and state road taxes on it. Run it only in farm equipment or risk being stopped by DOT and fined.

It is fine to run in your BX
Jchonline, Thank you for your information. It's not a whole lot cheaper but it helps.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I use a diesel additive in my 5 gal cans, Takes care of water and more importantly gel issues in cold weather.
Father in law used it so between the two of us there is several decades of no issues. Your results may differ.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Be aware that some stations do not turn over the off road that quickly, and the fuel may therefore end up being poor quality, due to developing algae or whatever.

I fell into this trap when I go my Kubota years ago. Shifted to a high turnover place for off road, after changing the fuel filter, and later just started using on road because the source was much closer, so I saved time and transportation costs.

On road is all I use now, but only use maybe a hundred gallons a year, 150 max for sure.

I use PowerService in the tractors and fuel containers in winter, as a precaution to prevent gelling...

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Be aware that some stations do not turn over the off road that quickly, and the fuel may therefore end up being poor quality, due to developing algae or whatever.

I fell into this trap when I go my Kubota years ago. Shifted to a high turnover place for off road, after changing the fuel filter, and later just started using on road because the source was much closer, so I saved time and transportation costs.

On road is all I use now, but only use maybe a hundred gallons a year, 150 max for sure.

I use PowerService in the tractors and fuel containers in winter, as a precaution to prevent gelling...
Good points Henro. I get mine from a very high volume farm co-op. I also use a antigel/algae additive. I use Stanadyne Winter 1000 in my stuff...there are lots of good options.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Good points Henro. I get mine from a very high volume farm co-op. I also use a antigel/algae additive. I use Stanadyne Winter 1000 in my stuff...there are lots of good options.
Thank you guys, safe than sorry. Should l add Star Tron or Stay Bil 360 in the fuel ?

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
No, a good diesel fuel conditioner like Howe’s or power service white bottle would be better. Walmart, truck stops or auto parts stores have a variety.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Around the world, diesel fuel is sometimes stored in 55 gal. drums for years!
Simple diesels do not care how old their fuel is.
I have two 60 gal. plastic barrels for a total of 120 gal. of 25 year old home heating fuel.
I have not tried it, but I suspect it will burn just fine in a diesel.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have two 60 gal. plastic barrels for a total of 120 gal. of 25 year old home heating fuel.
All I know is buying off road fuel from a low turnover place plugged up my fuel filter to the point tractor operation was erratic. This was within months of delivery of a new B2910.

Changed the fuel filter, changed the fuel source, and bought a spare fuel filter close to 20 years ago. Still have the spare filter…probably should change the one I installed so long ago. Kubota OEM filters of course.

Your mileage may vary. Mine won’t because I only buy fresh fuel now.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Thank you guys, safe than sorry. Should l add Star Tron or Stay Bil 360 in the fuel ?
The products you listed are made for gasoline that contains Ethanol and stabilizes the gasoline as well as reducing the bad affects the Ethanol. Others have steered you toward Diesel fuel additives.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Use Hot Shots secret. It was independently tested beside all the rest of the brands mentioned and had the best results. It also does not take a lot to treat with, 2 ounces vs half a quart, so smaller container to carry around.

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
Agree, if that 25 year old diesel is clean and algae free it would likely be fine in a pre emissions diesel engine.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Agree, if that 25 year old diesel is clean and algae free it would likely be fine in a pre emissions diesel engine.
But how does one verify that it is clean and algae free?

Agree if it was...should be no issue...but how does one determine it? Just curious, as I do not have any idea.

After the fact I do have an idea...LOL

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

Yep. I've been running home heating oil of unknown vintage for a few years. I've gotten several deals when someone was converting from oil heat to all electric. (Dumb move, IMO). But I get free oil for pumping out and removing the tank.

Works fine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yep. I've been running home heating oil of unknown vintage for a few years. I've gotten several deals when someone was converting from oil heat to all electric. (Dumb move, IMO). But I get free oil for pumping out and removing the tank.

Works fine.
I had a 1,000 gal. fibreglass oil tank that I buried in 1986.
Natural gas came through about 18 years ago, so I converted.
Tank was still in ground until 3 years ago, when I finally removed it.

Plan back in '86 was to be able to cut the tank up with a portable saw ("Skil Saw") if disposal was ever needed.
Did exactly that.
Saved 120 gal. of remaining #2 oil for..... whatever?