Diesel Fuel

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Can you tell me what the difference is between #1 and #2 low sulfur fuel off road or otherwise? Would it be compared to premium and regular in gasoline? The reason I ask is the #1 is considerably more expensive.

TravisG

Equipment
Kubota L3800
Jun 23, 2013
Brighton, Co
Diesel #1 has a higher cetane rating and works better in colder climates. Most stations where it gets cold enough for fuel to gel sell blended fuel during the winter to keep your fuel from gelling. Dyed diesel fuel is the same as you get out of the green pump except it has dye added to it. That fuel is for "off road" use only and you are subject to fines if caught running it in your truck.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
As stated above, I would NOT look at it as premium and regular comparison. But look at it as how cold is it now and what is it going to be.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 100% of #1 diesel is good till -40 degrees. #2 diesel is made a liitle colder than current temps.

So if current #2 is made till 0 degrees whether is treated or not. There is "Cold Vortex" (new terminolgy) coming with temps dipping down to -15. If you had or made a blend of 50/50 #1/#2 diesel it should be good for -20. You could blend down go whatever you need till -40. The kicker is finding out what the current #2 is, thats the variable.

Dyed diesel is only for consrtuction (ex bobcats) and farm equipment, OFF ROAD USE ONLY. I would use it if i could find it, less taxes = cheaper.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you can get off road it will be #1 right now, Fuel stations normally change when temps change. In your area I would think they are staying ahead of it.
If you have #2 you can get a Cetane like Stanadyne to boost it up so the fuel won't jell and also does a bunch of other useful functions.