Diesel Fuel Boogers

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
My F250 diesel stopped running and left me on the side of the road. Not ever haveing worked on a diesel, I spent several hours researching how to diagnose. In the process, I ran across a guy in Atlanta who ran a diesel shop and had a video about the amount of fuel problems he was seeing in just the last year. Said the quality of the fuel had really gone down and a LOT of trash was showing up in the trucks. Fortuntaly, I had installed a 2 micron quart sized filter just last year between the tank and the lift pump. The pump is not in the tank on this vehicle.

jasonTDI

Equipment
May 31, 2014
Dunn, WI
My F250 diesel stopped running and left me on the side of the road. Not ever haveing worked on a diesel, I spent several hours researching how to diagnose. In the process, I ran across a guy in Atlanta who ran a diesel shop and had a video about the amount of fuel problems he was seeing in just the last year. Said the quality of the fuel had really gone down and a LOT of trash was showing up in the trucks. Fortuntaly, I had installed a 2 micron quart sized filter just last year between the tank and the lift pump. The pump is not in the tank on this vehicle.
The filter was a very smart move. Don't know what year your truck is but I can tell you the latest injection systems don't like bad fuel. I'd rater be inconvenienced by a plugged filter than $10K worth of fuel system repairs. :eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The newer the tractor the smaller the injector tips. A late model diesel is a completely different animal when compairing them to older machines. If filters need changed at 30 to 40 hrs I would think you must have a fuel problem.

Might want to think about installing a pre-filter such as a Dahl. I have one on my L3000 and it works great. I use 2 micron filter elements and it doesn't give me any trouble at all.

Bulldog,

Would you recommend using something like this when pouring fuel INTO the tank? I really dont want to get back under my bx to change the primary filter.......:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF8CB-Fuel-Filter/dp/B000SOKE5E

or do you have another (cheaper) solution?

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I put a similar filter on my 2005 pickup (5.9l Cummins). 120k miles later and zero fuel problems. I do use a Racor filter funnel on the fuel I put in my tractor and have been trying to figure out how and where to place secondary filtration on my L3800. Also keep the fuel tank full when I park it. Any left over fuel gets put in the truck or car.