Diesel engine sucked up water! Now what?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Hello Kubota? I’d like to file a claim on my hydolocked RTV. How? My FIL drove it into the creek. Denied? Why? Oh, damage due to operator abuse isn’t covered.

If the conversation lasted that long.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Why a good wife would fuss about a husband who loaned his RTV to her Father who damaged by inappropriate useage….. is beyond me. SHE should be the one to tell her Dad to “FIx it!”

But… We are All Leaping to Conclusions. It’s in the OP‘s hands as to what to do and how to go about it. I don’t think he asked how to get FIL to fix it…. I think he only wanted thoughts as to why it runs so poorly.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
When I loan equipment, I accept the risk that it comes back busted. When I let inexperienced people drive equipment on my property (usually because it's fun to do stuff with family), I accept the risk they break it.

Many people would offer to repair or replace if they break stuff. But they're not obligated to. It's a grey area without knowing exactly what happened.

And I agree. The actual question is what might be wrong with it and how to fix it, not whether he should make someone else pay for it. Perhaps the FIL is in fact paying for it, but you still need to know how to fix it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Hello Kubota? I’d like to file a claim on my hydolocked RTV. How? My FIL drove it into the creek. Denied? Why? Oh, damage due to operator abuse isn’t covered.

If the conversation lasted that long.
Incorrect...KTAC covers lack/lapse of judgement as well.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
How about stupidity? You can't fix stupid!
It's covered under KTAC...pretty much anything short of nuclear war which is why I asked the question in the first place but didn't get an answer. 🤷‍♂️ https://www.ktacinsuranceagency.com/

For those doubters out there, copied from KTAC main page. Look at second line from bottom of "Covered Perils":

Protection ON & OFF Your Property, Transportation Included!
Covered Perils Include, But Not Limited to:
  • Theft
  • Fire
  • Glass Breakage
  • Falling Objects
  • Collision
  • Hail
  • Tornado
  • Hurricane
  • Flood
  • Vandalism
  • Roll-Over (upset)
  • Earthquake
  • Water Damage
  • Infestation
Exclusions Include, But Not Limited to:
  • Loss or Damage by Fraudulent Activities
  • Government Action or Seizure by Government Authority
  • Mechanical Breakdown
  • Wear and Tear
  • Nuclear Accidents
  • War
  • Terrorism

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
So my father in law drove my 1140 into the creek. Upon pulling it out at first it wouldn’t restart so I cracked all the injectors and was able to start it but now it smokes bad and has little power.
Any thoughts?
So, I'll ask again... Do you have KTAC insurance on this piece of equipment? If you financed the machine, they require insurance. Hopefully you went with Kubota Tractor Acceptance Corporation (KTAC).

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It's covered under KTAC...pretty much anything short of nuclear war which is why I asked the question in the first place but didn't get an answer. 🤷‍♂️ https://www.ktacinsuranceagency.com/

For those doubters out there, copied from KTAC main page. Look at second line from bottom of "Covered Perils":

• Theft
  • Fire
  • Glass Breakage
  • Falling Objects
  • Collision
  • Hail
  • Tornado
  • Hurricane
  • Flood
  • Vandalism
  • Roll-Over (upset)
  • Earthquake
  • Water Damage
  • Infestation
  • Mechanical Breakdown
  • Wear and Tear
  • Nuclear Accidents
  • War
  • Terrorism
So as long as he wasn't running from the ATF under charges of trmerrorism.....😉

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
So my father in law drove my 1140 into the creek. Upon pulling it out at first it wouldn’t restart so I cracked all the injectors and was able to start it but now it smokes bad and has little power.
Any thoughts?
Looking close at the front of the rtv, it looks like there is a bit of a trail. So the fil may have just followed a trail that had all ready been used by other machines a thousand times before. Plus the rtv may have crossed there before also, just when the water was lower. We just don't know.

Bpace

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
Apr 14, 2024
oTt15426378^

• Theft
  • Fire
  • Glass Breakage
  • Falling Objects
  • Collision
  • Hail
  • Tornado
  • Hurricane
  • Flood
  • Vandalism
  • Roll-Over (upset)
  • Earthquake
  • Water Damage
  • Infestation
  • Mechanical Breakdown
  • Wear and Tear
  • Nuclear Accidents
  • War
  • Terrorism
Who knows, his FIL might be a terrorist.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That would also be covered on many equipment policies sold by other carriers. Not all, but many. And yes, insurance pays for stupidity quite often. Intentional damage, no.

I have non-KTAC coverage on my Mule and my L. Different policies on both, but either would pay for the OP’s scenario so long as it wasn’t intentional.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Incorrect...KTAC covers lack/lapse of judgement as well.
Well then, that might explain why folks mention the cost of it at times. That’s Wonderfull. I’ll wait for the OP to let us know it’s covered.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well then, that might explain why folks mention the cost of it at times. That’s Wonderfull. I’ll wait for the OP to let us know it’s covered.
OP never answered if he had any insurance at all. So, you're guess is as good as mine. 🤷‍♂️