Diesel Additive

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I generally get three 5 gallon jugs of diesel at a time. And those last me quite a while. Like a month. I generally add the fuel additive that helps boost octane , lubes seals ect. Does most folks add anything in the summer? I have never added diesel to my tractor summer or winter without it and here in the northeast its a must for winter fuel. I forget the name of it but its a major brand you see at all parts stores.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Re: Diesel Addative

I try to use Stanadyne, they have a summer & winter version. I pick it up by he case from my mechanic. If not available the power service is good too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't boost the Octane in diesel, that's a gasoline thing.
In diesel you boost Cetane, it is the inverse of Octane. ;)

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
The only problem I ever had with the diesel fuel was the gelling/freezing in the winter when the temp would go very low. So I picked up a bottle of Diesel 911 which is supposed to help prevent the gel/freeze problem. I have used it ever since and no longer have a problem. Never added anything else and I have been running the tractor since I got it in 2000 and never had a problem with it.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Why not add algecide year around. Found my 5 gallon can had sludge in it and looked like green slime. Just need to filter out to smaller can and refill can again after adding both additives to can. I use the sta bil bottles for the anti gelling and the algecide. The alfecide is expensive @ $27 a bottle. But as saying goes pay me now or pay me later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Deisel n00b here.
Had a bout of hard starting last winter. Fuel was from the summer. Added 911 and never had a hard start issue again. Finally finished up the fuel in the tractor and in the can a week ago.... just as the temps got to 90.....
I add a few CC's of algecide to every 4 gallon can of fuel. Very little. A bottle of the stuff will lat me ten years probably. Preventative.
Next fall, in October, I'll put in 911 i n the tractor tank and in the refill can. Lesson learned.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
I believe after thanksgiving the diesel you buy at gas stations is 20% kerosene to keep from freezing

plumbcut

Equipment
BX2200 & B6200.
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I generally get three 5 gallon jugs of diesel at a time. And those last me quite a while. Like a month. I generally add the fuel additive that helps boost octane , lubes seals ect. Does most folks add anything in the summer? I have never added diesel to my tractor summer or winter without it and here in the northeast its a must for winter fuel. I forget the name of it but its a major brand you see at all parts stores.
In my pickup truck which doesnt see a lot of miles, I am pretty consistent about using DieselKleen.. Here in Southern California we really dont have a need for any winter additives so thats the only thing I use but I have seen what I believe to be a noticeable improvement in the way the truck runs. Both at idle and while driving. The engine is also noticeably quieter at idle. SO, I use it in my diesel tractors as well. I dont know that I notice the difference as drastically in the tractors as I do the truck, but I would assume they're running better too. Might be more of a placebo-effect with the tractors...

So +1 for DieselKleen and Ive also used stanadyne for injector cleaning (forget which product exactly) and recommend it also.

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
Re: Diesel Addative

I try to use Stanadyne, they have a summer & winter version. I pick it up by he case from my mechanic. If not available the power service is good too.
some of the diesel additives act like gas line antifreeze. it lets the gelled
fuel flow in cold temps and holds the water or I should say moisture in the fuel to flow through the filter. for engines that run on a daily basis no problem. hobby farm tractors that sits idle for months is not so good.
the moisture in the fuel will make corrosion rings on the pump pistons.
this is how it was explained to my bud by a mechanic that was fixing his pump. not all additives work the same way . some additives are for extra
lube for the now low sulfur fuel. the solution in my case is 1 yellow diesel
can marked summer and 1 marked winter.