Diesel Additive Suggestions

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I got home from work today and lit off my truck and baby (aka BX25) to see how things were doing with the cold temps, -8 deg last night and 3 deg during start up.

All started pretty good with about 12 sec glow plug time. I took the BX for a run around my property and ran all the hydraulics which seemed pretty good except the FEL bucket was a bit slow but, so was I.

Anyway, after about 10 min stationary warm up at about 1800 rpm's and running around at about 2300 rpm's for another 10 min I started to back her into the garage and the engine almost died, then stumbled, and rpm's modulated between 800 and 1300 and was banging and clacking. Got her backed in and turned off. I'm really hopeful the fuel was/is gelling and that when things warm up normal operation will resume.

So, with all the rambling above any suggestions on diesel additive? Thanks in advance guys!

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Power Service 911 or the regular Power Service.
Check your fuel filter too.

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
I use Seafoam, and so far so good.

I got home from work today and lit off my truck and baby (aka BX25) to see how things were doing with the cold temps, -8 deg last night and 3 deg during start up.

All started pretty good with about 12 sec glow plug time. I took the BX for a run around my property and ran all the hydraulics which seemed pretty good except the FEL bucket was a bit slow but, so was I.

Anyway, after about 10 min stationary warm up at about 1800 rpm's and running around at about 2300 rpm's for another 10 min I started to back her into the garage and the engine almost died, then stumbled, and rpm's modulated between 800 and 1300 and was banging and clacking. Got her backed in and turned off. I'm really hopeful the fuel was/is gelling and that when things warm up normal operation will resume.

So, with all the rambling above any suggestions on diesel additive? Thanks in advance guys!

73blazer

Equipment
G5200 w/46" Snow Blower,blade,debris blower;,L35;G1800S
Feb 16, 2013
Mid-Michigan
I use this stuff in my 2012 Cummins, my L35 and my G5200. WOrks great, keeps the fuel from gelling and provides some extra lube to your injection pump, with this ultra low sulfur diesel crap at the pumps now,a little extra lube is helpful. They also make a product called Diesel 911, similiar label and bottle, except the bottle's red, it's designed to ungel, gelled fuel, somewhat. I prefer the white bottle stuff. Been using it for years in the cold, and even in the warm on some stuff that relies on lube in the fuel to lube injection pump parts, which went out the window with the ULS diesel stuff...anyway...I digress...

This stuff has worked good for me. I think most any diesel anti-gel will work, just follow the instructions, most people put way too much in, a little goes along way..but I guess your not gonna hurt much puttin more in...

POwer service makes it. You can find it was most any truck stop, auto parts store, or gas station in cold weather areas.

Last edited:

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Boy, this topic has been discussed to death here and on other tractor/truck forums.

Anyway, I'll take the bait (again). I use Opti-Lube XPD.

http://www.opti-lube.com/XPD.htm
Thanks GWD. I am not trying to stir anything up. I have noticed that a lot of guys are passionate about the lubricants and fluids used but this is my first Kubota and I want to do the best I can for her.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Thanks to all. As I said above I just want to make the best choice for my investment and I know there is such a wealth of knowledge and experience here that I wouldn't look anywhere else! Thanks again.

trouble11

Equipment
kubota b9200, bf350fel,b4530 hoe, 2002 Gmc Sierra with plow
Jun 12, 2012
Plattsburgh, NY
I use Power Service (Diesel Fuel Supplement) as stated by 73blazer. It works very well. We have had -20deg temps and I have had no problems with My Fuel.
(ps) I get mine at Tractor Supply

Last edited:

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
I use Power Service (Diesel Fuel Supplement) as stated by 73blazer. It works very well. We have had -20deg temps and I have had no problems with My Fuel.
(ps) I get mine at Tractor Supply
Thanks for the info trouble. BTW, is your pup a border collie?

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Wow, seeing this post got me thinking about my current fuel. I have not used the tractor much this summer or fall. That means that the current fuel in the tank and my 5 gal container was purchased last summer.

Does that mean that I am leaving myself open to problems with the summer blend of fuel with these really frigid temps? What is the best way to address this issue? Should I be adding the additive posted above to my fuel tanks ASAP ?

Thanks, Dan

73blazer

Equipment
G5200 w/46" Snow Blower,blade,debris blower;,L35;G1800S
Feb 16, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Wow, seeing this post got me thinking about my current fuel. I have not used the tractor much this summer or fall. That means that the current fuel in the tank and my 5 gal container was purchased last summer.

Does that mean that I am leaving myself open to problems with the summer blend of fuel with these really frigid temps? What is the best way to address this issue? Should I be adding the additive posted above to my fuel tanks ASAP ?

Thanks, Dan
If it's just sitting and your not using or planning to use during cold, I wouldn't worry about it. It won't freeze up like water and expand and break things, just gets a little thick is all, tends to clog up on things like screens in tank pickups and fuel filters and what not. Just adding it to a static tank won't ungel the fuel in your filter, if it's already that way, But, it takes quite a bit for it to gel, regular "summer" diesel #2 won't gel until, IIRC, around 5 degrees F, winter blends will tolerate somewhat to -10 or so, at least that's I remember being told years ago. And it takes a while at those temps for it to really cause you major headaches.

That said, below 10, I usually pour a little anti-gel in, just for good measure, run it for a bit so it gets throughout the whole fuel system, doesn't take much, cheap insurance. I guess I'm paranoid, I went snowmobiling one time, parked my '97 chevy 6.5 TD for 4 days at a cabin while we were on sleds, highs in the low singles, lows in the -15 range. Went to start it up to go home, while it was plugged in for 8 hrs prior, still wouldn't start, had to have it towed to a shop where it sat for 3 hrs or so in the 60degree shop, fired right up then.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Thanks 73blazer.

Oh wow, I forgot to mention, Yes, I need the B7100 all winter long for snow clearing !!! That is when it gets most of it's use for me, these days.

At this moment it is 7 degrees F. Last Thur / Fri it was down to -7 F. I started for me last Thursday and ran for about 2 hours, when I used it to clear 8" of snow.

I will have to head over to TSC tomorrow and pick up some Power Source and get it into the tank ASAP, just to play it safe.

Thanks to all involved in this post to jog my memory and get me kick started to do something about this nasty cold we are experiencing !!!

trouble11

Equipment
Jun 12, 2012
Plattsburgh, NY
Close steveF,
My Dog is an Australian Shepherd. They almost look the same but My Aussie does not have a Tail. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
We used the Power Service Cetane Boost at work as a once a month treatment. I put No. 1 in the truck in winter, though some of the other drivers used No. 2 all winter, and got away with it for the most part. I figured better safe than sorry.

Since it was good enough for the trucks, and has been a real popular additive talked about on this forum, I figured it was good enough for me too.

Since the commercial fueling station had No. 1 and No. 2 year round, users choice, I had that option, but the local gas station has one diesel pump. "Theoretically" No. 2 in summer, No. 1 in winter. At least that's how I'm going to call "summer" and "winter" blends.

SO, my plan is a little Cetane Boost in every can of diesel I buy that will be used in winter, but probably forgo it in summer. A 5 gallon can will last a month, or three, or even more. Those lag times in the spring and fall between mowing the grass and blowing the snow, sees very little tractor use.

Your plan is your choice, we all have different conditions, options and opinions.

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
cold snap here found me in the same situation, unfortunately in the middle of trying to do some snowblowing. 2 new fuel filters and good as new. my take is the fuel filters act as more of a water separator moreso than particulate filter, the water trapped in the filter freezes, and she bogs down. glad I had them on-hand

trouble11

Equipment
Jun 12, 2012
Plattsburgh, NY
Maybe We should have a post where Members could post pictures of their 4 legged Friends. !!! :)
(ps) Beautiful Doggy Lil Foot

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Don't do that. the sight couldn't handle all the pictures. I think men care more for there dogs than there tractors. Actually, my wife cares more for our lab than she does me. (G) Dureing the 5 degree weather last week, she wanted me to pick my 11 year old lab up and let her sleep on the bed, in a house that's 70 degrees!!! " But it's cold outside".