Did a 3rd function install decrease your lift capacity?

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Hi folks, a question. I installed a Summit third function kit on my BX2380 back in March, then dealer had it a couple months, and haven’t used it much since, just been using the bucket moving dirt/gravel a couple times. I used forks a couple times to move a snowblower attachment for another tractor, no problem lifting (about 200lbs) I went to lift a stack of 10 pallets, wouldn’t lift. I was only able to lift a stack of 6 pallets, which is probably around 350-400 lbs. I know last year I could lift a stack of 10, as I loaded some that I sold onto a trailer. I’m positive I have the hoses attached correctly from 3rd function block to tractor. Has anyone else noticed a diminished lift capacitor after adding a 3rd function? I still have the original hose that got removed ( power beyond to loader valve) , so I may reinstall that 1 hose to see if that block did decrease my lift capacity..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
3rd function should NOT reduce your capacity ! if it does, I suspect a smaller sized valve was used.
Would need actual part numbers to 'do the math'.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi folks, a question. I installed a Summit third function kit on my BX2380 back in March, then dealer had it a couple months, and haven’t used it much since, just been using the bucket moving dirt/gravel a couple times. I used forks a couple times to move a snowblower attachment for another tractor, no problem lifting (about 200lbs) I went to lift a stack of 10 pallets, wouldn’t lift. I was only able to lift a stack of 6 pallets, which is probably around 350-400 lbs. I know last year I could lift a stack of 10, as I loaded some that I sold onto a trailer. I’m positive I have the hoses attached correctly from 3rd function block to tractor. Has anyone else noticed a diminished lift capacitor after adding a 3rd function? I still have the original hose that got removed ( power beyond to loader valve) , so I may reinstall that 1 hose to see if that block did decrease my lift capacity..
The Summit 3rd function (and most others) has no relief valve and will not reduce hydraulic pressure. It's simply a pass through just like the hose you removed.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Noob suggestion, as I've not put the 3rd function on my BX, but could it simply be low on fluid, given additional lines in the mix, might it need more fluid to keep up with the additional lines? Again, take my suggestion and throw it out, if I'm off base here.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it'll need the additional volume of the lines and the cylinder. probably not too much BUT level should be checked and filled ,if required.

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Checked fluid and added after install. Gonna double check my lines from power beyond and loader valve, I had a new ne made (48") and had the other one cut to 54" and new fitting. The hoses Summit sends with kit are way too long-they sent 2-60" lines. I did video of how I installed it after it was finished, just need to post it up on YouTube....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Checked fluid and added after install. Gonna double check my lines from power beyond and loader valve, I had a new ne made (48") and had the other one cut to 54" and new fitting. The hoses Summit sends with kit are way too long-they sent 2-60" lines. I did video of how I installed it after it was finished, just need to post it up on YouTube....
Not much to go wrong there:
  1. Remove OEM hose going from power beyond port on loader valve to power beyond port on hydraulic outlet block.
  2. Using new hose connect power beyond port on loader valve to IN port on Summit valve.
  3. Using new hose connect TANK port on Summit valve to power beyond port on hydraulic outlet block.
Dan

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
How heavy is your kit?

If you add 40 lbs of fittings, hose, clamps but you only have 400 lbs lift capacity to start then yes you might notice a difference.

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
How heavy is your kit?

If you add 40 lbs of fittings, hose, clamps but you only have 400 lbs lift capacity to start then yes you might notice a difference.
The hoses and fittings are on the new loader, I have the old loader on now. But weird thing is, I was able to pick up 11 pallets today with it no problem. Only thing that changed was how hot it was outside- when I could hardly lift pallets last week it was in the 90's and humid. Today was low 70's and not humid....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The hoses and fittings are on the new loader, I have the old loader on now. But weird thing is, I was able to pick up 11 pallets today with it no problem. Only thing that changed was how hot it was outside- when I could hardly lift pallets last week it was in the 90's and humid. Today was low 70's and not humid....
Whats this new loader, old loader comment mean? You have more than one loader?

Dan

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Whats this new loader, old loader comment mean? You have more than one loader?

Dan
Yep. Another thread here about bucket meeting ground unevenly. KTAC did SOC on the old loader, I bought it back. After using it a couple times with new loader bucket uneven again, so I put old loader back on. If I keep old loader I’ll swap grapple lines over to that one and use for grapple work only.,..

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
So after all the nonsense, the dealer put you through before they replaced the loader, and now the new loader is no better than the old loader? Seems to me that either your tractor is defective, or there has to be some anomaly that is going on with that tractor.

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
Could have been heavier pallets?

Get the Bxpanded pressure test gauge and shims, test the pressure, if it is under 1900 PSI shim it.

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
Could have been heavier pallets?

Get the Bxpanded pressure test gauge and shims, test the pressure, if it is under 1900 PSI shim it.
FYI, I was underwhelmed by my lifting capacity, bought the gauge and found the pressure on my new tractor at 1650 psi, shimmed it to 1900, now I’m happy.

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
FYI, I was underwhelmed by my lifting capacity, bought the gauge and found the pressure on my new tractor at 1650 psi, shimmed it to 1900, now I’m happy.
They supposedly shimmed it last year when I had it there. I need to check it again...

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
So after all the nonsense, the dealer put you through before they replaced the loader, and now the new loader is no better than the old loader? Seems to me that either your tractor is defective, or there has to be some anomaly that is going on with that tractor.
They replaced loader, but I don't think they replaced the loader side frames(saddles), as I didn't get any saddles when I picked up the old loader. I believe that's where my problems lie, I shall soon see....

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Alrighty, it seems I should have more than enough pressure. The only thing I can't remember when I checked it last year before I dropped it off at dealer was which fitting on the manifold I connected the gauge to- if it was the first or second one closest to operator. Instructions said first one. When I tested it a few days ago, nothing happened when I hooked it to first one and pulled lever back, then tried all positions. When I hooked it to the second fitting, it would read when I moved lever to the right-2200psi... I coulda sworn it was at 1900 or so when I got it back from dealer last year. I didn't remove cover to see how many shims are in there.... I think this tractor has something weird going on with hydraulics, as I lose steering momentarily if I raise or lower bucket at same time turning wheel. Tractor also seems to have the hydraulic settle more than I think when it's off( I'm comparing to the BX1870 I used to have, which in hindsight, should've kept)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Alrighty, it seems I should have more than enough pressure. The only thing I can't remember when I checked it last year before I dropped it off at dealer was which fitting on the manifold I connected the gauge to- if it was the first or second one closest to operator. Instructions said first one. When I tested it a few days ago, nothing happened when I hooked it to first one and pulled lever back, then tried all positions. When I hooked it to the second fitting, it would read when I moved lever to the right-2200psi... I coulda sworn it was at 1900 or so when I got it back from dealer last year. I didn't remove cover to see how many shims are in there.... I think this tractor has something weird going on with hydraulics, as I lose steering momentarily if I raise or lower bucket at same time turning wheel. Tractor also seems to have the hydraulic settle more than I think when it's off( I'm comparing to the BX1870 I used to have, which in hindsight, should've kept)
Operating the loader should not interfere with power steering. The PS is on a separate circuit with priority over the loader. That sounds like the loader and/or PS is plumbed incorrectly.

Dan