Diagnostics on Kubota Tractors

david b

Equipment
M7060
Mar 4, 2020
St. Joseph, MO
Hello - I've spent a lot of time on this forum, and learned a lot, but this is my first time contributing...so...

I am very interested in learning and documenting (for others) specific details about the diagnostic systems used for Kubota tractors. I am most interested in the V3307 diesel engine in my 2019 M7060, but information about other tractor models would likely prove useful and would be much appreciated.

I have found threads referencing Kubota's Diagmaster software (perhaps incorrectly called Digimaster in some threads), but I find very little when searching the forum and the web for details about the software. So my questions are:

1. Is Diagmaster still the diagnostic tool used by Kubota service providers for newer engines/tractors?
2. If so, can someone point me to useful technical information about Diagmaster?
3. Does Kubota/Diagmaster use SAE J1939, ISO 15765, or some other standardized CAN based protocol for diagnostics?
4. How might I locate the diagnostic connector on my M7060?

Thanks in advance for any information pertinent to these questions, or Kubota tractor/engine diagnostics in general!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I cannot provide much for technical data, but I have seen references many times here on OTT that the diagnostic applications are provided solely to Kubota service providers.

Everything is proprietary now-a-days over many manufacturers.

Causes great grief for folks with the equipment that want to fix their own stuff. Not just Kubota, but JD, CIH, etc.

Not like diagnostic tools you can buy in the aftermarket for modern passenger cars and light pickups.

Good luck, but I don't think you're going to have much luck in your endeavor.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I already know you aren't. Everything in the late model tractors is very proprietary and not accessed by a non qualified person..... authorized dealer.

Until the tractor manufacturers get their heads together and adopt a standard protocol, like the auto manufacturers, you are basically SOL.

When that happens is a crapshoot...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That's a shame.
Not for me. Both mine are straight mechanical injection. Only 'electrically actuated control' on either engine is the fuel cut solenoid. They both have electro-mechaincal coolant temp senders and oil pressure senders with a shutdown relay for low oil pressure but no electronics.

Just how I prefer it. No diagnostic port, no scan tool, just good old mechanics.

Now my wife's new Kubota side by side is all electronic. Sign of the times.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
"4. How might I locate the diagnostic connector on my M7060?"

Ask your dealer. I'd be willing to bet the access port is on the side of the ECM or refer to a WSM for your model. I imagine the WSM will call out the location of the diagnostic port.

Correct access however I believe again would be proprietary.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not for me. Both mine are straight mechanical injection. Only 'electrically actuated control' on either engine is the fuel cut solenoid. They both have electro-mechaincal coolant temp senders and oil pressure senders with a shutdown relay for low oil pressure but no electronics.

Just how I prefer it. No diagnostic port, no scan tool, just good old mechanics.

Now my wife's new Kubota side by side is all electronic. Sign of the times.
Well, I’m glad to know I’m ahead of you in ONE feature! My “baby” M4700 fuel cut-off is manually-controlled with a cable and pull-knob. :p

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mine is totally 'involuntary' with the key switch. If it poops out, I'm sunk (I keep a spare in the shop, just in case). 98 bucks at the dealer. They are on Flea Bay for cheap but after reading Wolfman's experience with a Flea Bay water pump, I'n very leery about buying cheap on Flea Bay.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello - I've spent a lot of time on this forum, and learned a lot, but this is my first time contributing...so...

I am very interested in learning and documenting (for others) specific details about the diagnostic systems used for Kubota tractors. I am most interested in the V3307 diesel engine in my 2019 M7060, but information about other tractor models would likely prove useful and would be much appreciated.

I have found threads referencing Kubota's Diagmaster software (perhaps incorrectly called Digimaster in some threads), but I find very little when searching the forum and the web for details about the software. So my questions are:

1. Is Diagmaster still the diagnostic tool used by Kubota service providers for newer engines/tractors?
2. If so, can someone point me to useful technical information about Diagmaster?
3. Does Kubota/Diagmaster use SAE J1939, ISO 15765, or some other standardized CAN based protocol for diagnostics?

Thanks in advance for any information pertinent to these questions, or Kubota tractor/engine diagnostics in general!
If you send me a private message with your email I can send you the M series diagnostic codes. Reading them would be a starting point for the knowledge you want.

Dave

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa

Are you having a specific problem with your M7060?

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sidecarflip has sneakily solved this mystery and has decided to generously share his cache of secret diagnostic codes:

Symptom: Tractor will not start: Diagnostic: Key not turned to start.

Symptom: Tractor dies: Diagnostic: Key turned to Stop or Empty Fuel Tank.

Symptom: No Diagnostic Codes: Diagnostic: Tractor belongs to SidecarFlip.

====================

(Sorry for the levity). :rolleyes:

:D

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Has that law suit with JD been settled yet?

You can reverse engineer anything, it just needs to be worth it. Unfortunately there are not high enough numbers to justify all the time needed to do it. The tool would end up costing thousands of dollars.

I stopped following the JD suit when it went into the years of delays phase.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

You can reverse engineer anything, it just needs to be worth it. Unfortunately there are not high enough numbers to justify all the time needed to do it. The tool would end up costing thousands of dollars.

No, not yet. JD has the funding and mouth pieces to delay it as long as they want to. One thing about ownership of a green tractor with an electronically controlled engine, you never really own the equipment, you 'purchase' the rights to use it with JD's permission but JD reserves the right to oversee everything...and they do. Especially true with the larger ag units, right down to service intervals and 'authorized' lubricants and replacement filters.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
No, not yet. JD has the funding and mouth pieces to delay it as long as they want to. One thing about ownership of a green tractor with an electronically controlled engine, you never really own the equipment, you 'purchase' the rights to use it with JD's permission but JD reserves the right to oversee everything...and they do. Especially true with the larger ag units, right down to service intervals and 'authorized' lubricants and replacement filters.
Unfortunately, that is true of almost all software we run today. You are purchasing a license to use it, not to own it.

Hopefully it ends up in front of a common sense judge if it ever gets there. JD probably has that handled to though.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA

I don't know about the lawsuit, but I did see something where Cal Poly teamed up with iFixit to build an open source diagnostic scan tool for JD tractors. Looks like it needs a Linux computer to run though.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don't know about the lawsuit, but I did see something where Cal Poly teamed up with iFixit to build an open source diagnostic scan tool for JD tractors. Looks like it needs a Linux computer to run though.
No such thing as a Linux computer per-say. It is just an operating system that will run on a lot of hardware.

It could be as simple as booting to a disk on YOUR CURRENT laptop without even knowing Linux was running.

Great news though. Many hands make light work.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Like others have said:

Diagmaster for Kubota's (there are others for automotive, and other machinery) are proprietary, and so is the coding.
No other diagnostic reader has the ability to read their computer system.
so no, no standard code protocol.
Locating the conector wouldn't do you much good at this point, but the WSM does state where it's at, most are not readily accessible.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
No such thing as a Linux computer per-say. It is just an operating system that will run on a lot of hardware.

It could be as simple as booting to a disk on YOUR CURRENT laptop without even knowing Linux was running.

Great news though. Many hands make light work.
Yeah yeah. You knew what I meant, but you're right ;) As far as what everyone is saying about renting (or whatever term is actually correct) the use of proprietary software, there is actually a battle about this as well. I think (could be wrong) that this blew up (not started) with Apple products. The whole 'right to fix' movement wants these ideas of proprietary software and whatnot to be covered under the Magnusson-Noss Act like it applies changing the oil in your car (and tractor). No longer can Dodge (or Ram now I guess) tell me that I have to use Mopar oil or I will void my warranty. They would have to prove that whatever I put in the crank that was not what they 'suggested' directly caused whatever failure for it not to be covered under warranty. Seems like JD (and probably Kubota) want to skirt around this idea by instead of using what already exists in the automotive industry, but to come up with something proprietary and then claim it to be covered under DMCA. I'm sure there were no extra expenses there that were passed along to the consumer right? Interestingly enough, it seems that Kubota and Bobcat use the same reader? Can someone confirm this?