dethatcher for 3 point hitch

XJman

Apr 12, 2020
US
In the past I've used powered dethatchers that are basically like push mowers. I'm wondering if anyone knows of one that will run off the rear PTO and 3 point hitch? I've come across a ton of just drag behind ones but they never quite worked well for me in the past and I'd have to rent one like mentioned earlier.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior

Attachments

XJman

Apr 12, 2020
US
Every rake style I've had tore up my grass more than it helped maybe I've just got to suck it up. I found one from the company mentioned earlier but it was 36" and like 6k. I would rather just keep renting and pushing them around at that price.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here's one I built about 20 years ago. Just put new spring teeth on it last year. It is made from the pick up reel of a baler. Doesn't matter if it's a big round baler or a small square baler, the PU reels are pretty much the same. Four of them 6' long. Just build a frame to mount them in and the 3 pt.

It works real well for bringing up the gravel in the Spring after it's been pounded down all winter. A couple slow pass and it look like you hauled in tons of gravel.

The first time I used it on a lawn area it made a wind row and ready to bale. After the first years there isn't much to rake up.

Attachments

Last edited:

XJman

Apr 12, 2020
US
Thanks. I think you guys have convinced mentor just make or buy a non powered one. How are you adjusting the pressure down? My bx doesn't have a height adjustment hitch goes down or up. Maybe put hinges at the 3 point so it floats?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I adjust mine (with the top link) so all the teeth are on the ground at the same time. The teeth are staggered, so they do a good job of covering everything.

Down pressure or weights are not required.

XJman

Apr 12, 2020
US
I'm going to see what i can put together cheaply and see what result I get and beef it up later. Thanks

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I put my 60" CMP Attachments dethatcher together today and tried it out. It worked as expected, all parts were in the box. Assembly was easy.

Unfortunately, I am not a welder so I am in a position that my attachments have to be purchased.

This item was not inexpensive, but the quality seems good out of the gate.

Overall, satisfied with my purchase.

Les.

XJman

Apr 12, 2020
US
Drill and bolts. Or as I always tell myself grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't.

K.P.

Equipment
B7300, LA272 FEL, B2650, 8160 Ballast, G2460G Mower, Danuser 20/40, Woods RB60
Aug 11, 2010
Cary, IL
I’m debating purchasing the CMP Dethatcher or a Pine Needle Rake. Dethatching in the spring/fall, an area of pine needles, lots of leaves and sticks are what I’m hoping to accomplish with one implement. For the CMP unit, How was the 60” width managed behind your BX? Has anyone used a 3pt pine needle rake?

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi KP.

I am sure that the 50 inch would be fine, but I am glad I went with the 60 inch. It seems size appropriate for the BX. It met my expectations and I am very pleased to not be dragging around the one with the cement blocks on that you can't reach the lift for the wheels and can't back up until you do.

I wrestled with the 50 inch or 60 inch, and exchanged emails with Sawyer at CMP, and he said they both work well for a BX

Again, 50 inch would have worked fine I am sure, but the 60 inch seems more appropriate for the BX and I feel I made the right decision for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Les.

npalen

Equipment
B9200
Feb 10, 2016
Beloit, KS
I've had the 60" CPM thatcher rake for several years and find it very useful for several processes including raking ground after seeding grass.