Decrease DPF filter regen rates and increase life of your filter

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
So I always "felt" bio diesel increased regen rates.

So after a little research i found lots of reports including from the US Governments National Lab. of Dept. Of Energy US Office of Renewable Energy that indicate the more bio in your diesel the more often regens will occur. Report NREL/TP-540-39606

This office found biodiesel causes a significant increase in regeneration rate, even at the 5% blending level!! Supports that gut feeling that premium diesel w/o and bio added does make a difference.

If I understand correctly from this report somewhere between 25% to 67% less back pressure (regen's ) depending on whether they were testing 20% bio or 5% bio. The more bio the worse the results.

Probably got the details a little fuzzy as I not be too eductated but the conclusions are pretty clear that the less bio the less regens we would experiance.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think that makes sense. Biodiesel has additional waste byproducts and usually causes a reduction in power. Just goes to show more efficient fuel is cleaner.

What do you bet a similar effect happens with ethanol?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I think that makes sense. Biodiesel has additional waste byproducts and usually causes a reduction in power. Just goes to show more efficient fuel is cleaner.

Alcohol (ethanol) isn't necessarily less efficient. It does have less energy for the volume, but is a higher octane so compression and ignition advance can be higher with it.
Diesel also has less engergy than gas.

The main problem with ethanol is it's more corrosive than gas, so it doesn't play well with some types of rubber. It also doesn't store well because it's so hygroscopic.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah ethanol has less 'bang for the buck' and puts water into your tank, so even LESS 'bang for the buck'.
it'd be nice to buy real gas ,at an affordable price....been told only Shell premium does NOT contain ethanol.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I was holding back but I think its time for me to stir this pot.

Biodiesel and renewable diesel are often marketed as convenient drop-in fuel solutions for lowering emissions. They’ve also been shown to improve diesel particulate filter performance.

In addition to significantly cutting greenhouse gas emissions, both fuels emit lower particulate matter during combustion. Less particulate matter equates to less back-pressure buildup in DPFs and fewer regeneration (regen) cycles.
“Biodiesel burns so much cleaner that you’re reducing that particulate matter by somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 to 60%,” said Colin Huwyler, CEO of Optimus Technologies which produces the Vector System, a fuel heating solution that enables diesel engines to run on 100% biodiesel, or B100, in cold climates.
“The amount of soot that actually goes into the particulate filter is dramatically less (with biodiesel)," he said, explaining that lower soot build up results in less wear and tear as well as less backpressure on the engine, which increases operating efficiency. "There’s this whole cascading benefit that comes from the higher combustion index, the cetane and the cleaner burning combustion that occurs with biodiesel.”
ccording to the U.S. Department of Energy, "U.S. emissions limits for nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) have been reduced significantly over the last 20 years. Biodiesel’s benefits are maximized in engines older than MY 2010."U.S. Department of Energy. Leading automotive groups support Huwyer’s claims. SAE International noted in an emissions study that biodiesel particulate matter is “lower mainly because of the higher oxygen content. Subsequently less frequent regenerations are required.”

Renewable Energy Group (REG), the largest biodiesel producer in the U.S. which also markets renewable diesel, reported that fleet mechanics have been pleased with biodiesel.
“We’ve also heard directly from diesel technicians about how well biodiesel performs,” REG Senior Marketing Manager Steve Klein wrote in a blog for Advanced Clean Tech News.
“It has higher cetane and added lubricity compared to petroleum diesel. Plus, fleets are reporting fewer issues with diesel particulate filters (DPF) because biodiesel’s cleaner burn leads to fewer particulates getting to the DPF.”

The City of Ames, Iowa which uses REG-9000 B100 biodiesel in International dump trucks and a Peterbilt cabover has seen a decline in DPF regens “primarily because it’s not plugging up the particulate filter nearly as quickly,” said Ames Fleet Support Manager Rich Iverson.

In a story published earlier this month in CCJ, Titan Freight Systems President Keith Wilson told CCJ Senior Editor Aaron Huff that by switching to renewable diesel the Oregon-based carrier “has seen a $0.015 per-mile savings by eliminating exhaust system replacement parts and downtime from clogged DPFs. Trucks running RD have had zero regens or filter replacements, Wilson said. The company has also reduced oil costs by 75% from extending drain intervals on account of fewer contaminants entering the crankcase.”

Bigger is better or at least it can be

Running on a greater concentration of biodiesel, like B100, will result in lower particulate matter, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. However, unless equipped with a fuel heating solution like the Optimus Vector System, fleets will battle gelling problems in colder temperatures. Also, while REG reports that all OEMs approve of B5 blends and that nearly 90% of medium- and heavy-duty truck OEMs endorse B20, support for B100 is unclear.

Data published by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Alternative Fuels Data Center shows that B20 has about a 13% reduction in particulate matter compared to conventional diesel while B100 will result in roughly a 50% cut. Though this leads to fewer regens and subsequent fuel savings, some of those savings can be offset because as SAE points out the lower LHV (low heating value) of biodiesel requires more fuel to achieve “the right temperature inside the DPF for the oxidation of the soot cake. This could generally result in a larger oil dilution, a higher smoking and an increment of fuel consumption.” Following a year-long pilot on REG's B100, Iverson said that the trucks "ran great, regen'd less" and that there was "no noticeable difference in anything other than it smelled better."
A U.S. Department of Ener
gy graph shows the average emissions impact of biodiesel on heavy-duty engines. NOx rises roughly 10% for B100 while other emissions, including particulate matter, drop substantially as the concentration of biodiesel increases.U.S. Department of EnergyAccording to REG, its renewable diesel offers less of a reduction in particulates than its blended Ultra Clean Diesel which combines biodiesel and renewable diesel. REG renewable diesel offers a roughly 38% cut in particulate matter compared to conventional diesel, while Ultra Clean B20 and B50 provide 43% and 46% reductions respectively.

Older diesel engines, particularly those manufactured before 2010, according to the Department of Energy, realize the greatest improvements at the tailpipe versus conventional diesel.
“In older engines, biodiesel blends may offer some additional emissions reduction benefits, particularly for particulate matter, carbon monoxide, and unburned hydrocarbons,” the DOE’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy writes in its report Biodiesel Basics. “The amount of the benefit will depend on the engine’s emission control technology, the age of the engine, the percent of biodiesel in the blend, and how the vehicle is operated. The oldest engines and technologies will reap the greatest emissions benefits from the use of biodiesel.”
Huwyler agreed.

“What generally tends to happen with biodiesel tailpipe emissions is there’s a dramatic reduction in engine-out emissions, but with new diesel technologies, the clean diesel engines, you’re so close to zero tailpipe emissions to begin with that you don’t actually end up seeing a net change in the tailpipe emissions,” he said. “Where you see your benefit with biodiesel is on the emissions after-treatment system.”

• Love

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
yeah ethanol has less 'bang for the buck' and puts water into your tank, so even LESS 'bang for the buck'.
it'd be nice to buy real gas ,at an affordable price....been told only Shell premium does NOT contain ethanol.
"been told only Shell premium does not contain ethanol"
That is apparently true in Canada.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
No, per gallon diesel fuel has more energy than gasoline. Per pound, I don't know.
Pound for pound, they are both about 20kbtu. Depending on region, gas will actually edge out diesel by up to 1 kbtu. Diesel is heavier than gas at a given volume. About 7 lbs/ gal. Gasoline is about 6 lbs/ gal.

Reactions: 1 user

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
"been told only Shell premium does not contain ethanol"
That is apparently true in Canada.

To my knowledge and dismay, I believe regulations were introduced in Canada late last year where all gasoline must now contain Ethanol. My regular go to spot for premium non ethanol now has the dreaded contains ethanol sticker…

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To my knowledge and dismay, I believe regulations were introduced in Canada late last year where all gasoline must now contain Ethanol. My regular go to spot for premium non ethanol now has the dreaded contains ethanol sticker…
I had a Summer home in Shelburne, Nova Scotia until late 2018.
Always bought Shell premium there to avoid ethanol.
Guess it is no more.........me neither.

I spend Winters in the FREE state of Florida!
It is not widely available there, but it is available.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It is NOT available at all....in many areas!
That is true in my area. The State gives tax breaks to gas stations for selling E15 blend (or higher concentrations) and applied for a waiver to do it year around.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I was holding back but I think its time for me to stir this pot.
Did you notice that they specifically refer to engines produced before 2010. Maybe you don't know when DPFs were introduced, but it sure seems like the "improvements to emissions" are referring to diesels without DPFs or other complex emissions. ;)

I'm not sure what non ethanol isn't available in many areas means. https://www.pure-gas.org/ It's available in all of the areas that I searched on.

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
Ethanol is totally stupid. We are awash in oil and natural gas.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Did you notice that they specifically refer to engines produced before 2010. Maybe you don't know when DPFs were introduced, but it sure seems like the "improvements to emissions" are referring to diesels without DPFs or other complex emissions. ;)

I'm not sure what non ethanol isn't available in many areas means. https://www.pure-gas.org/ It's available in all of the areas that I searched on.
I read the OP's cited report - did you?

It was dated March 2006 so all of the experimental results were based on technology of that era (e.g. pre 2010) , and I think the OP seriously misunderstood their conclusions just as you are misunderstanding the more current data I provided.

Here are a few quotes from the OP's 2006 report. The bullets are direct quotes from the conclusions section followed by my editorial comments. If you want the full story go read the report - its chock full of very solid experimental results.

• Results show that on average, the BPT is 45°C lower than 2007 certification diesel for B20 blends and more than 112°C lower for neat biodiesel .
This is critical - biodiesel at all concentrations is most effective at eliminating PM emissions when exhaust gas temperatures are lowered not raised. That was contrary to the prevailing DPF design practice in 2006.
  • Transient emissions tests show a 25% PM reduction for B20 without the DPF installed
This is what happens on pre-2010 engines that do not have DPF - a big drop in particulate matter and why pre 2010 engines benefit the most from bio-diesel.
  • Installation of the DPF caused PM emissions to drop by more than a factor of 10 for petrodiesel.
This what happens when you add a DPF to a pre 2010 engine, A factor of 10 reduction is massive and why DPFs were being added to engines.
  • Use of B20 with the DPF produced an additional PM reduction of 67% below the petrodiesel+DPF level
This one you have to watch out for. That 67% reduction is the marginal improvement over petrodiesel + DPF so it is not as huge as the number suggests but still an improvement over pure petrodiesel.
  • Filter regeneration rate measurements indicate that biodiesel causes a significant increase in regeneration rate, even at the 5% blending level.
Whoa Nellie!!! Everything was looking good so how can this be true as well. This is where the OP stopped reading. If he had continued he would have found there is much much more to the story.
  • Overall the results suggest significant benefits to the use of biodiesel blends in engines equipped with DPFs.
Watch you mean Willis!!! You just told us the regeneration rate goes up with bio-diesel not down. What Willis means is the research is only beginning to clarify the effects of bio-diesel and DPF and more testing of alternative designs is needed. Read on.
  • The significant lowering of BPT and increase in regeneration rate might allow passive DPFs to be used in lower temperature engine duty cycles, avoiding the need for actively regenerated filters and their associated fuel economy penalty. The work reported here shows measurable improvements in DPF regeneration performance at steady-state conditions with biodiesel blends and suggests the potential for biodiesel blends to extend the useful range of a given DPF design to lower operating temperatures. Actively regenerated systems might require less frequent regeneration, also resulting in a lower fuel economy penalty
Passive regeneration is what happens behind the scenes. Its when the DPF is burning off the PM as it is produced and preventing it from clogging up the filter. They want to know more about how that works and whether a redesigned DPF might leverage that behavior to improve passive regeneration and reduce the frequency of active regeneration. Remember - this is 2006 and DPFs are just beginning to appear on the scene. Designs were very much in flux.
  • The next phase of this research will investigate transient operation with baseline diesel and biodiesel blends over a range of controlled differences in mean exhaust temperature. Mean exhaust temperature would be controlled by installation of a heat exchanger on the exhaust line upstream of the DPF. The data acquired will show if the improvements in DPF regeneration performance with biodiesel blends are significant enough to allow biodiesel blends to be an enabler for successful application of catalyzed DPFs in lower exhaust temperature applications that would not be suitable for passive DPF technology. The data will also allow an assessment of the potential for DPFs to be smaller and/or contain less precious metal for design applications, which use biodiesel blends. In addition, this work could determine if active regeneration of DPF systems leads to fuel savings by operation with biodiesel blends by minimizing the time and amount of fuel required during active regeneration periods.
This is where they went next and what they found is described in my post #5. In a nutshell what we have learned in the ensuing 17 years is current DPF's designed to operate at a lower BPT combined with biodiesel blends can and does reduce the level of PM produced and that translates into better passive regeneration and a reduction in those pesky active regens.

Dan

Last edited:

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Keep in mind biodiesel can and often is more contaminated compared to pure diesel due to its nature. Many stations also only carry biodiesel blended fuels. This could also be the cause of observed increased regen cycles.

Only get diesel from "reputable" stations with high traffic of diesel vehicles preferably from newer stations which are less likely to have bad tanks. Higher sales volume means the supply is refreshed in the tank sooner and therefore has the least chance of contamination. That's very important for high pressure common rail systems which are extremely temperamental and for fuel that is to be stored. I.e. in a machine not refilled often or in fuel bowsers.

I can tell you from first hand experience after smoking a brand new set of very expensive fuel injectors from one tank of contaminated fuel.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Try searching the DPRT........the.... "Democratic People's Republic of Taxachusetts"!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think the OP seriously misunderstood their conclusions just as you are misunderstanding the more current data I provided.
Feel free to draw conclusions about my ability to read and understand, but it probably means that I don't understand your posts either. ;)

However, the conclusions of the paper are clear. No, you don't have to agree, and you can say they are wrong.

On the other hand, you draw your own conclusions of what you posted. Maybe you are right and maybe not.

Let's just assume you are right to save time. If the point of DPF is to reduce emissions and biodiesel is better, then why don't all of the manufacturers recommend B100 and why hasn't the EPA mandated it? That seems to conflict with your conclusions.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That's fine for automobiles. But sucks for small engines. I run non ethanol in everything except my vehicles.