Decrease DPF filter regen rates and increase life of your filter

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'm in daily "get aquainted" mode, transitioning to diesel. I'm all over this forum, reading. It's overwhelming really.

I've had my 23s since 8/10/2023, and haven't once looked at any literature related to my tractor.
Oh yeah, there is sooo much to learn. Please don't take what I said as "talking down" to you. It was not like that at all.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: I have absolute confidence in both the people and the results. And so do you everytime you get on an airplane, step on the bathroom scales, turn on a TV, or send an internet message.

I have
ZERO confidence with respect to airplanes (hint 737max 8, locked cabin doors, and some avionics issues..)
ZERO confidence in bathroom scales ( always 5.7# high......)
ZERO confidence in TV, never any GOOD news, and too many 'reality' shows that are staged....
+1 for internet messages though, PROVIDING the ISP is 'up and running'.....
YMMV.....
I have 30,000+ total hours of pilot time, in various airplane types, including aircraft carrier.
MAXIMUM confidence here......over 38 years!

BTW: If you research the accident history of the 737-8 Max , you will find that there have been zero accidents/incidents on that aircraft, when operated by 1st world nations pilots.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have to ask this question. Has anybody on this site ever had their DPF worn out from too much use? It seems like a non-issue if these things last for 3000+ hours.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
YMMV.....
I have 30,000+ total hours of pilot time, in various airplane types, including aircraft carrier.
MAXIMUM confidence here......over 38 years!

BTW: If you research the accident history of the 737-8 Max , you will find that there have been zero accidents/incidents on that aircraft, when operated by 1st world nations pilots.
Actually my comment was aimed more at confidence that Bernoulli wasn't a cheater 😃

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
and my aviation comment was about the IDIOTS that decided that ONE and ONLY sensor would CONTROL the airplane......

and yes I'm a private pilot and was an avionics technician so I'm familiar with airplanes....

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have to ask this question. Has anybody on this site ever had their DPF worn out from too much use? It seems like a non-issue if these things last for 3000+ hours.
They usually don't "wear" out. What happens is they clog. When the obstruction is too much for the computer to figure out ie do a region, they go into limp mode or simply refuse to run.

The simple solution is to allow the end user to force a regen, but that would assume the end user knows when to do it. Btw, this is the same as far as I know whether it is a tractor or diesel pickup. Instead, you have to take to a dealer or someone with the dealer software. In other words, it's a software issue.

I have no idea if the holdup was the EPA rules or the manufacturers.

I had a pickup with this issue. After a couple of thousand bills including being stuck on the side of the road, I decided I wasn't going to own another vehicle with a DPF if I could avoid it at all. That's the reason why I own a L2501 instead of a tractor with more HP.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
wonder if any of the 'brainiacs' did a study of no DPF vs DPF(SAME engine, tractor, use) and compared 'pollution' levels. As well the actual costs to have DPF, for say 10 years ??

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
wonder if any of the 'brainiacs' did a study of no DPF vs DPF(SAME engine, tractor, use) and compared 'pollution' levels. As well the actual costs to have DPF, for say 10 years ??
According to the report that spawned this thread addition of a DPF reduces particulate emissions by a factor of 10. Or if you prefer by 90%.l

Use of B20 without a DPF reduces particulates by 25%.

While not tested in the subject report other testing pegs the reduction for B100 wuthout a DPF at 80% plus.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
from what I've read , to clean the DPF, you have to increase RPM and use a lot of fuel and ,um, just WHERE do those trapped praticulates ('bad things') go, if not into the air ?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
and my aviation comment was about the IDIOTS that decided that ONE and ONLY sensor would CONTROL the airplane......

and yes I'm a private pilot and was an avionics technician so I'm familiar with airplanes....
However many sensors there are, is really not the issue.

The 737-Max 8 is has been flown for thousands of hours, without mishap.
The primary issue with the airplane, is that the systems are simply too complex for camel drivers to accommodate, without significant additional training,...... or perhaps not at all..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: However many sensors there are, is really not the issue.

yes , it is. Only ONE sensor was used, unlike most(all ?) others where 3 are used. THAT is the crux of the problem. Relying on ONE and ONLY one sensor is NOT smart. It also didn't show up in the BOEING testing, nor the FAA, the simulations( which WOULD have shown this fault)
They grounded the fleet for what 2-3 years until a solution was found. Yup, they read SEVERAL sensors now...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
from what I've read , to clean the DPF, you have to increase RPM and use a lot of fuel and ,um, just WHERE do those trapped praticulates ('bad things') go, if not into the air ?
I think that long long ago someone said ......"matter can neither be created nor destroyed".
Is a DPF magic?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
They are vaporized and released as CO2. The reaction also produces a small amount of ash which falls to the bottom where it collects over time. When the DPF can no longer hold anymore ash it is removed and emptied.then returned to service.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re: However many sensors there are, is really not the issue.

yes , it is. Only ONE sensor was used, unlike most(all ?) others where 3 are used. THAT is the crux of the problem. Relying on ONE and ONLY one sensor is NOT smart. It also didn't show up in the BOEING testing, nor the FAA, the simulations( which WOULD have shown this fault)
They grounded the fleet for what 2-3 years until a solution was found. Yup, they read SEVERAL sensors now...
Only two of those airplanes have ever crashed!
Both were flown by "camel drivers"
Many years ago I was in A USN transport squadron (reserve) with old C-54s
On the forward instrument panels was: FTFA, printed, in black grease pencil.
This was a reference to flying....... with the loss of an engine.

If the automatic crap does not work, the "camel drivers" will drive the airplane into the ground!
They simply cannot revert to: FTFA
They are taught to push buttons, and the lack basic thinking, adaptive, and flying skills.
It is both a training and a cultural issue!

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Good information. However I think this is is probably more of an issue with vehicles, and tractors used for regular farm use for thousands of hours, versus homeowner use for dozens or hundreds of hours.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
ever since 'fly by wire' came about, pilots don't 'fly' the airplane..can't but that's not my point.
Mine is the idiotic idea that someone( maybe a committee ?) decided to trust ONE and ONLY one sensor for realtime data used to control the airplane.
Same idiots probably would only put ONE pilot in the cockpit.