Decided to get L series

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
Went to the local dealer and looked at the B2650 but after talking to the sales guy about my situation ( 10 forested acres to maintain) he recommended the L3301 instead. I plan on getting one as soon as my new shop is near completion. I think the L3301 would meet my needs but would it make sense to get the L3901 just in case I need the extra HP for some project in the future? Seems like $2000 more for a few extra HP is a lot though?

By the way, is it pretty common to pay list price for tractors? The guy won't deal at all. I think it's because they have kind of a monopoly in the area. The 3 closest Kubota dealers are all owned by the same family. The good thing is Kubota has a pretty big rebate on the L series right now. I guess I could go to another dealer far away but I'm thinking that if I need warranty work done, it would be easier to get service from a local dealer since the sales guy said they would send a repair guy out to my place if needed.

Thanks!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Personally, I would spring for the 3901, no one ever complains about too much HP.

No way would I pay list price for a tractor.

Good luck

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Haven't encountered a dealer asking list. I bought some new equipment and tractor last year and got somewhere around 10% off on the tractor and loader. Not quite that much on some of the implements. I went with a dealer that was 60 miles away because of the price difference. I wanted to stay with the local guys, but savings of thousands of dollars was too hard to pass up. The local dealer has great people, but there were only 3 people in the place....1 salesman, a parts gal and a mechanic. They're owned by a dealer 50 miles away and probably have the smaller place to keep competition out. Get some prices from other dealers, maybe he'll come off his prices at least a little.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Buy the tractor your wallet can afford. For some folks $2K is easy to handle, for others, it's a significant hurdle.

As for asking list, there are dealers out there that will ship pretty much anywhere, you just won't get that local help when you might need it since you got it someplace else. If they really won't deal, widen your net a little until you find someone that will and then compare local vs. what you get at the distance. Sometimes the savings can be quite large.

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
Thanks guys for the info.

Do you have to register tractors like cars and are there any problems buying them in another state?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks guys for the info.

Do you have to register tractors like cars and are there any problems buying them in another state?
States vary, no registration or title in MO and no problem buying from another sate.

There is a place on property tax forms, but surprisingly most farmers seem to be able to farm without actually owning any or very many tractors.