Dealer warns front axle will wear out if left in 4x4

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Yes, running in 4wd when not needed will add extra wear on the system, but I don't think you'll notice it for the first 30 years or so. What you will notice is that you will wear out your front tires and have to replace those more often. I specifically don't use 4wd when doing most loader work because the high weight load directly on the front axle will cause a lot of tire wear and drive train binding. A lot of my loader work involves tight radius turning on relatively flat ground. Your case may vary. In short, anticipate the need, use it as needed.

Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a friend who's dad was a carpenter. Said his dad had tools he put on a shelf and saved to use "when his old one wore out". When the man died he had new tools, saws, saw blades, hammers, levels, drills, etc never used but were ready for "when his old one wore out" sold at auction.

Lesson to learn, use your tools for what they are meant for not trying to save them or someone at the auction will get the benefit.

Reactions: 3 users

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
Well…I guess just starting the tractor starts wearing it out. The real question is, will it wear out before you do? At my age I suspect not.

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Surprised at delivery, dealer told me i will wear out my front axle if using 4wd too much! What is up with that? I know not to run 4wd on hard surface but in loose soil should i worry about leaving 4wd engaged?
Dont let what the dealer told you haunt you for the rest of your tractors life!
On my BX the only time its in 2wd is cutting the grass with a MMM and when Im on the pavement!

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Surprised at delivery, dealer told me i will wear out my front axle if using 4wd too much! What is up with that? I know not to run 4wd on hard surface but in loose soil should i worry about leaving 4wd engaged?
Salesman B.S.

Define “too much”.

Ask him if using it in 2WD too much will wear out the rear axle.

(Salesmen and Developers = consistently pathological liars)

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Yes, running in 4wd when not needed will add extra wear on the system, but I don't think you'll notice it for the first 30 years or so. What you will notice is that you will wear out your front tires and have to replace those more often. I specifically don't use 4wd when doing most loader work because the high weight load directly on the front axle will cause a lot of tire wear and drive train binding. A lot of my loader work involves tight radius turning on relatively flat ground. Your case may vary. In short, anticipate the need, use it as needed.

Was going to say the exact same thing. Tire wear and front drive shaft binding will be the most notable wear items.

ScottHam

Equipment
Kubota L3560HST-LE 4WD; R4 tires; Armstrong Ag BRG-mini grapple; 1272 box blade
Jul 9, 2022
Texas Hill Country
I'm picking up my new L3560LE next week, and I really appreciate these comments (including the sarcastic ones :) I have a feeling my tractor will almost always be in 4WD given my hilly terrain, lack of mowing, and absence of any hard surfaces on my property. This thread has helped me have one less thing to worry about. Thank you.

Reactions: 4 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
He's full of s___t. Should always run in 4wd unless going a long ways on pavement or forever on flat land. Too dangerous on hills using only 2wd. The rear wheels will just skid. Could skid sideways and cause it to turn over. 2wd = 2 wheel (rear) brakes only.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
He's full of s___t. Should always run in 4wd unless going a long ways on pavement or forever on flat land. Too dangerous on hills using only 2wd. The rear wheels will just skid. Could skid sideways and cause it to turn over. 2wd = 2 wheel (rear) brakes only.
Been there. Actually only one rear wheel started to skid. Caused the tractor to attempt to become perpendicular to the hill with the engaged rear mowing deck helping with some extra torque.
With a geared unit it was push the clutch, play the brakes, turn down hill and ride it out to the flat.
I NEVER go near a hill or slant without looking down to see what the tranny selection is in.

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
I do mostly everything in two wheel drive, 4 wheel drive to me is there to get you out of trouble, and if the four wheel drive doesn't work the Hail Mary is the diff lock

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That’s a good point for those who haven’t considered the fact that when in 2wd the brakes only affect the rear wheels…which is fine in most instances. But on slippery surfaces, if in 4wd and brakes are applied…the brakes are affecting all 4 wheels. (Found this to be useful on slippery streets in the pickup also.)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That’s a good point for those who haven’t considered the fact that when in 2wd the brakes only affect the rear wheels…which is fine in most instances. But on slippery surfaces, if in 4wd and brakes are applied…the brakes are affecting all 4 wheels. (Found this to be useful on slippery streets in the pickup also.)
My B2910 has been in 4WD 99 percent of the time for the 20 years since I bought it.

An uncontrollable slide down a grassy slope was enough to teach me that lesson. I keep my BX in 4WD nearly all the time as well. Nothing flat here on my property.

Works for me. Once a few years ago I somehow knocked the 4WD lever in to 2WD and fortunately nothing bad happened, except for a bit of pucker factor when things were not happening as they should have. Don't remember the details...but I DO REMEMBER now to check the 4WD lever position regularly.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Odds are you wont live long enough to wear it out, unless you reall do sumthin dumb

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
To me that falls in the category of yes it will wear out faster if you use it but you might as well saved money and bought a 2WD if you’re not going to use it. The whole tractor will last longer if you don’t use it at all. Your pants will last longer if you don’t wear them. A saw blade/chain lasts longer if you never cut anything. The floors in your house will last longer if you live in a tent in the yard and don’t walk on them. Your money will last longer if you voluntarily choose to be a vagrant and never spend it. The list goes on and on. Personally, I prefer to wear my pants, bust out a saw when there’s a tree across the driveway, live in my house, spend money on stuff like groceries and electricity, and run my tractor in 4WD on my very non-flat property much of the time. YMMV.

Don’t use 4WD on pavement. If you’re mowing or otherwise on turf, and don’t need it, leave it in 2WD so you don’t tear up the turf when you make tight turns.

Other than that, it’s there for a reason (most of which have already been enumerated by others). The driveline was engineered to be stout enough to deal with the inevitable differences in front v rear wheel speed when on dirt/gravel. Use it, be happy, don’t worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
A sales guy at my dealership attempted to help me at the busy parts counter and he was unaware that there were two filters for the hydro system. Just saying.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
So a salesman tries to be helpful and makes a correct statement about increased wear and this tough crowd has a hissy. Good Grief.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I rarely use 4WD because I don't have hills, but when I am cutting the grass alongside the road I sometimes need to use it, but it tears the crap out of the ground if it is soft like it is right now from all the rains.

Will it wear, Yep, but will it wear faster using it, Nope. Guess what, other than the U-joints between the trans and front axle, the wear will be the same using it or not. After all, it is always turning when the tractor is in motion, it just isn't being powered by the engine, hence why the U-joints will have less wear. They take the brunt of the wear when making turns under power.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Will it wear, Yep, but will it wear faster using it, Nope. Guess what, other than the U-joints between the trans and front axle, the wear will be the same using it or not. After all, it is always turning when the tractor is in motion, it just isn't being powered by the engine, hence why the U-joints will have less wear. They take the brunt of the wear when making turns under power.
Actually, the part about wearing the same whether being in 4WD or not isn't correct. While the parts do spin when the tractor moves, there's no connection between the front and rear wheels. As some have mentioned, there isn't an exact match of gearing front-to-rear. Add to that the different travelling distances between inside and outside wheels and there's a fair amount of load on the driveline when locked into 4WD. The better the traction, the more load on the driveline.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, the wear WILL be 'similar' whether in 2WD or 4WD, as ACDII points out MOST of the spinable stuff IS spinning,due to the ground. it really doesn't matter whether the engine or the ground is the 'driving force', the front axle, diff gears, bull gears are ALWAYS spinning, thus 'wearing out'.
The only way to truly reduce this 'wearing out' would be to install a version of Warn Lock-O-Matic hubs. Then there would be zero wear of the front axle components when in 2WD.
Lock-O-Matic hubs were a GREAT invention('50s) as they automatically ONLY supplied engine power to the front wheels IF in 4WD.