Damaged HST Fan

wldbil3

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, 60"MMM, Mule 610, LPGS1548, 6" Back Blade
Sep 24, 2014
Mantua, OH
Hey everyone! Have a new BX2670 with about 80 hours on it - been using it like crazy this spring/summer and love it!

Well, despite warnings from me to not take it into the woods yet until I got a skid plate, my father was using it in the woods and ended up getting a stick caught up underneath with damaged the HST fan. So now, after I've had the satisfaction of telling him "I told you so" and getting a "you were right" from him. :) I have a couple of questions...

First: The fan only lost one blade - luckily the rest are intact and relatively undamaged with just some minor scratches. Will the loss of one blade affect anything? I'm assuming since it is plastic and lightweight, there shouldn't be any problems with the fan being out of balance and I would think it should still provide enough airflow to do its job. Does anyone have any experience with this? After reading about the cost of replacing one, I'm hoping I don't need to.

Second: Time and money (mostly time) have so far prevented me from getting a skid plate but obviously, it is a priority for me now. I've checked out the Bxpanded skid plate and am leaning towards getting that but was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and/or knew of other options that I should check out first.

Thanks for any feedback.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I wonder (but doubt) if that would be covered under warranty ? Do you kubota's insurance ? May be covered under that . Pretty costly to have the dealer fix .
Your machine didn't come with a shield?

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Well the older ones are a pain.
Take the whole thing apart.
Missing one wing It may be out of balance and fall apart on you.

I noticed that my shaft is removable and when I got my wsm it confirmed it.
So you may want to take a look.
I will send the wsm directions on.

Ray

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I wouldn't get too worked up about it, I had my BX2200 in th shop to replace some hydraulic lines when the tech discovered two blades missing, no telling how long. It's much easier to replace the fan pm older models, so no big deal.

You have to take the BXpanded off to mount the MMM, so since ours was broken with the MMM in place, we went with Bro-Tek.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had my 60 MMM under mine for the last two years, it seemed to stop darn near everything, I recently took it off and bought the BXpanded under armor and it was simple to put on and could be removed in 30 seconds if need be. I highly recommend it ! Well built and worth every penny!

I would keep an eye on the rest of the blades........still cooling but - be watchful of it !