D1703 rebuild

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I am into the start of this thing and hit a small snag. The WSW says that when connecting the rod to the piston to immerse the piston in 186 degree oil for 15 min. before inserting the wrist pin. Does this have to do with making the wrist pin installation a slip and slide deal and can this be done properly without the heated oil?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I believe that is to expand the hole, not for lubrication. Oil bath gives better and uniform heat transfer.

The other ways are local heating and using a press.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Thanks Jim, that confirms my suspicions. I have a press. Do you know if it is the same result either way? I really don't want to heat oil for one piston.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can also put it in the oven at about 250F for 30 min to get it to expand it the right amount. ;)
Wear welding gloves to work with it.:eek::p:D

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I think that if you sent it out, it would probably be put to the press after heating with a torch.

Without a press, I would heat it in the oven for a while, and cold soak the pin in a baggie in the freezer. Then move fast to mate it.

Wolfman just posted...

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have a good plan, thanks to you fellows, on the wrist pin. I got to thinking (finally) is it ok to press in the wrist pin bushing or should I do the heat/cool thing there as well? I pressed it out before asking the pros. Dammit.

Thanks, Mike

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The bushing should go in easier because it can give in the center where there is no metal.

If it is hard to get in, then heat the bigger part.
If the pin is hard to get in, then heat both the rod and the bushing with the bushing installed - and chill the pin.

When you heat it in the oven, everything expands, including the holes.