D1105-TE Starting Problem

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
I have a Hydrotraxx marsh buggy with a Kubota D1105-TE engine. Just bought it used with 72 hours. I have a starting issue that is different than the ones described in the forum to-date.

Engine will crank, but won't start. Replaced the fuel solenoid, but still have to tap the solenoid or jump start the buggy to get it started...cranks right up when jump starting. Once started it runs perfectly and turns off normally.

Things I have done so far - replaced the fuel solenoid and checked the battery (715 cranking amps and tests good).

Any suggestions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you mean you have to tap the fuel solenoid while jump starting:
That sounds really odd, bad fuel solenoid relay maybe, or if there is any type of safety switch in the circuit, but why would you have to jumpstart?

Now if you mean you have to tap the starter solenoid:
Bad ignition switch not giving the solenoid enough power to fire, also look for starter relay that is bad if equipped, or you just have a bad starter solenoid and it needs replaced.

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
Further explanation:

Engine cranks/turns ok, but won't start.

At first, I could tap the fuel solenoid and it would start-up. Then that stopped working. The fuel solenoid is new so I don't think it is defective, maybe just not getting enough amps to trigger the plunger.

I thought more cranking amps might help so I jump it from my truck...engine fired up and ran perfectly. My battery tested ok...715 cranking amps at 32 degrees or higher

I think I am losing amps somewhere between the battery and fuel solenoid that is independent of the starter/motor. The motor cranks ok which is very strange...unless the fuel solenoid is on a different circuit or has something unique to it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Better explaination!

Look for a fuel stop relay, it's probably where you are having issues if it has one.

To verify that is the problem, jump directly to the solenoid from the battery, does it work?

If it doesn't work you have a problem with either the solenoid itself (bad new parts do exist). or the injection pump rack is sticking.

Next step is to remove the solenoid and see if it starts, use a screw driver in the hole to move the rack to shut it down, if it does then the problem is in the solenoid!

As far as the battery power issue goes if it cranks then there is enough battery power for the solenoid to work.

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
Great ideas...thanks for the feedback.

I did check a ground wire that looked like it was part of the fuel solenoid wiring and it appeared ok, but will clean it anyway and look for any other ground wires that could have a bad connection.

I do see a relay that appears to be between the fuel solenoid and battery...can't be that expensive so I will pick one up and replace it...thought relays rarely had problems and it looks clean from outside with good connections, but still possible. Will also run the test you recommended this weekend to check the fuel solenoid. The previous owner put on the solenoid, but maybe it is a knock off version that is defective.

Is it possible that my ignition switch is defective. It is designed to turn left to warm up, first click right engages all the electronics (assume this stage engages the fuel solenoid) and next turn engages the starter and turns the engine?

Apologies for all the follow-up questions...it is a 2 hour drive to my buggy and I am 1 hour away from a Kubota dealership to get parts...this fix may take several weekend trips.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it possible that my ignition switch is defective?
Yes most definitely, take a simple test light with you.

Kubota stop solenoids come in 2 versions:
Power to run, and power to stop.

Power to run will have power all the time when the key is on.
Power to stop, the relay will also be a timer and gives the relay power for 5 sec.
Normally that type will start if the relay is bad they just won't shut off, but it could be that the solenoid it stuck in the powered state and won't retract.

Bscout

Jul 13, 2015
Houston tx
Sometimes it is the simple things. Pulled my battery to have it checked and it tested ok. The battery terminals and connections looked ok, but I cleaned them and hooked everything back up. Buggy started and ran fine all weekend.

Thanks for all the advice...I know a lot more about my engine and if the problem reoccurs I will know where to start.