Cylinder seal replacement

6acres

Equipment
BX 2200D, 4' bush hog, 4' box blade, HF backhoe?
Oct 5, 2011
tangipahoa,la.
The bucket cylinder seal started leaking on my La211, I figured I would change all the seals since I had it apart. I purchased it used, and wondered how rough a previous life it had. Would anyone know if this is normal wear on a piston seal for a tractor with 300 hours?

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I wouldn't think you should be having seal trouble with only 300hrs. Did you inspect the barrel to make sure it doesn't have any bad spots inside it that is causing the wear?

I know this is a different beast but my Cat 980 G had 30K + hrs and only the steering cylinders had been rebuilt due to leaks. The hoist and bucket cylinders were still factory and didn't leak.

6acres

Equipment
Oct 5, 2011
tangipahoa,la.
The machine is over 10 years old, I believe it was left out in the weather a good portion of the time. The cylinder and shaft are both in good shape. The outer seal on the shaft looks like dryrot and the metal has some rust, I cleaned the rust off. I was wondering about the blue seal on the piston, it has some dark scaring, could this be from contaminates in the fluid. Other than that the insides look good.
I decided to change everything when I took it down, then I found out what the complete kit cost :eek: I won't do that again. I will try to get the specific seals from a local source first. I had to make a spanner to get it open, thats another thing that is hard to find. I made it adjustable for the other cylinders too. The seals should be in Wendesday, so I can have it back for this weekend.

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A friend of mine helped me rebuild my first set and where to get the parts/seals and I have done all my own since then. The seals only cost $20 per cylinder for the ones I have done so far. A little hole in the wall tractor/lawn mower repair shop has seals in stock for about everything common for small to mid size tractors and equipment.

6acres

Equipment
Oct 5, 2011
tangipahoa,la.
I ordered the kit from Kubota at $60+, it was the wrong set.
The part #'s on the bag were right, just not the correct seals. I don't know if this was a single problem or they had a run of incorrect parts, Beware if you order a kit for LA211 bucket cylinder.
I found the two seals that were actually leaking at a local hydraulic repair shop for $5 each. This took longer than I expected, but worked out great....:)

PeterA

Equipment
B6200 HST 4WD @ SIMS cab, Kubota 1630 FEL, rototiller & plough
Dec 17, 2010
St. John's Newfoundland
Yeh, I discovered yesterday that the seal kit I purchased from my local Kubota dealer is the wrong one. Pain... Back to the parts department tomorrow morning.

lourod

Equipment
b7100d 215 loader b7100 1620 loader 4520 backhoe
May 18, 2013
reading pa.
It took three trys from messicks tractor supply to get right seals for my 1630 loader. First bag labled wrong second try wrong third try bingo same part no. As first bag different parts good luck.