Custom back up generator shelter.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Seems to me we are having more frequent power outages the last few winters. Last winter it went out for 11 hours and with no back up system it got cold in the house plus no way to warm a meal so with winter around the corner and not wanting to go through that again we decided to get us a generator.

We went with a Honda 6500 model that has auto choke, electric start and I added a wireless remote to it. I got to thinking that you just can't through these things out in the elements when the power goes out so I decided to design and fabricate a shelter for it.

Here's some of the features I built into it.

- Built out of 1/8th and 1/4 steel plating. Complete system weighs 1500 lbs.
- Custom machined hinges with grease nipples.
- Built in security system.
- Canarm fan for system cooling
- Double stainless steel latches both coded for the one key.
- Hydraulic struts to keep lid open.
- Fold down front section that acts as a loading ramp for the generator.
- Special locking system in floor to hold generator in place.
- Custom exhaust system with top flapper.
- Wireless remote start added.
- Snap-On L.E.D. light added.
- Floor mat that chemical resistant.
- All openings have restricters added to keep critters out.
- Sand basted to remove mill-scale, epoxy primed and painted.
- Custom graphics by Kathy (Wifey)
- G.P.S. Tracking on generator.
- Pour a concrete pad to bolt it too.

Very quiet operation although I shouldn't have used the sensitive directional mic in the video. :mad:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvH7Jf36ncM

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
WOW Paul!!!!

That's absolutely beautiful!!!

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Stunning, really.

Reminds me a little of my first apartment- only bigger.
And quite a bit nicer.

Frankly though I would have anticipated you'd go with a larger setup, with the automatic transfer switch etc.

Looks like you are planning to run a single extension cord to the house out of there?

Wildfire

Equipment
WOW Paul!!!!

That's absolutely beautiful!!!
Thanks. Glad you like it.

Stunning, really.

Reminds me a little of my first apartment- only bigger.
And quite a bit nicer.

Frankly though I would have anticipated you'd go with a larger setup, with the automatic transfer switch etc.

Looks like you are planning to run a single extension cord to the house out of there?
We've only lost the power twice in three years so I didn't want to go with the full meal deal plus the fact I can use the generator for other mobile jobs if need be whereas If I went with the large dedicated genset then that's all I could use it for. Your right. A cord to the house and a lock out on the panel. As long as we have heat, light and a way to cook a meal I'm good to go :D

I also have a Miller Trailblazer that puts out 11.000 watts so I won't be stuck lol. The other factor was I thought it would be a nice project seeing I never built on before. ;)

Enjoyed the story on the first apartment. :D

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
And it isn't ORANGE why :D With the amount of snow you get there...why didn't you build it with a slanted top (for servicing and ect.)? How are you getting power to the house? Looks great though ;)

Wildfire

Equipment
And it isn't ORANGE why :D With the amount of snow you get there...why didn't you build it with a slanted top (for servicing and ect.)? How are you getting power to the house? Looks great though ;)
The wife said if I painted it orange she was leaving. Believe me, I looked everywhere. I was going to apply four coats of it too if I could find it :D

Na. I didn't want it to look to intrusive so I went with the high in the center almost flat top. Snow will be easy to remove from it because it's only 36" high and the design works out to 2.5 sheets of 1/8th plate with no wastage.
We really don't get much snow on this end of the island. Now if I were on the other side then you wouldn't even see the gen shelter by December. I was actually going to wrap it first with a nice green shrub design and have it look like the surrounding area but they said it still had to be primed and painted so I said frig that idea.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Nice Job, wildfire!!

I was also thinking some years ago about a back up. At least to have power for the oil heating system. But after all, we do not have power outages!
Last time I remember, I was a kid. :)

Good luck in the outback and at the end of the world. ;)

carl

Wildfire

Equipment
Nice Job, wildfire!!

I was also thinking some years ago about a back up. At least to have power for the oil heating system. But after all, we do not have power outages!
Last time I remember, I was a kid. :)

Good luck in the outback and at the end of the world. ;)

carl
Hi carl. Your lucky to not loose the power. It don't happen often for us but I thought it would be nice to have to keep the house warm. My shelter isn't German quality but it will be ok for me. Hope all is well on your end.
Cheers, Paul

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Paul thats quite a sturdy box you built , when the meteor hits your gen set should survive ok...god help the rest of us.lol
On a more serious note ,I notice you incorporate a lot of theft alarms in your projects.
Is the crime level really high up there?
I would have thought on a island it would be near non existent .

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul thats quite a sturdy box you built , when the meteor hits your gen set should survive ok...god help the rest of us.lol
On a more serious note ,I notice you incorporate a lot of theft alarms in your projects.
Is the crime level really high up there?
I would have thought on a island it would be near non existent .
Thanks. I was going to build it out of aluminum but thought someone might steal the box and leave the generator lol so I built it out of steel and bolted it to the concrete base.
As for a theft problem. Well this is a pretty big island and we are in an economic boom and with a boom there's higher crime, drugs.... I personally haven't had any issues with theft and don't want any so if I can build in some theft deterrent items to the design I'm going to do it lol.
I guess we could use it as a fallout shelter if need be :D

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
We lose power here at least once a year, sometimes for extended periods as we did during a recent ice storm. I went with a bit different setup. I wanted a proper automatic switch over, but that meant re wiring the essential circuits, and a fair bit of new equipment. For years we managed with 14ga extension cords for lights, furnace, etc.
As it happened, we had wired up a 220 30 amp line, for my motorhome and for a friends for when he stays with us, so we had a dryer plug socket on the side of the house. We wired the generator to another dryer plug, to put power in where the line to the motorhomes was connected if the power was out. Then we isolated the entire house from the grid so we were not powering the entire neighborhood. We have an alarm that sounds when the power comes back on, then we disconnect and reconnect in the proper sequence.
Automatic and dedicated would be nice, but same as Paul, I like the generator being portable. Its' over 300' to the end of the driveway so its way better to move the generator than mess with extension cords when I work down there.

benben

Equipment
B7200 Hst with heated cabin
Dec 18, 2012
quebec canada
hello Wildwelder
verry nice like ever.I have the same powerproblem in the wintertime.my generator is in my Garage and it take only some minutes and I have my generator startet.same problem with theft at the village here but at my place I have no proble with this,but in the case my dog will tell me and then I take my shutgun to help the car starting better from the intruder.... at my other place I have hase my generator in outside with a alucover.he was insulatet and I have put animalfencer wire to the Box. twice some body like to look in the box I think.when I went in outside everybode was gone

have a nice day I enjoy all you nice work

say hello to your lovely wife

Benben

Wildfire

Equipment
We lose power here at least once a year, sometimes for extended periods as we did during a recent ice storm. I went with a bit different setup. I wanted a proper automatic switch over, but that meant re wiring the essential circuits, and a fair bit of new equipment. For years we managed with 14ga extension cords for lights, furnace, etc.
As it happened, we had wired up a 220 30 amp line, for my motorhome and for a friends for when he stays with us, so we had a dryer plug socket on the side of the house. We wired the generator to another dryer plug, to put power in where the line to the motorhomes was connected if the power was out. Then we isolated the entire house from the grid so we were not powering the entire neighborhood. We have an alarm that sounds when the power comes back on, then we disconnect and reconnect in the proper sequence.
Automatic and dedicated would be nice, but same as Paul, I like the generator being portable. Its' over 300' to the end of the driveway so its way better to move the generator than mess with extension cords when I work down there.
Well it's nice to know there's others out there that's been trough power outage's and you seem to have it all under control. A dedicated generator would be to much work for me in my area with all the salty air, by the time I needed it, it might be rusted out or seized. At least with the set up I have now mine can be stored in a dry heated shop until needed.

hello Wildwelder
verry nice like ever.I have the same powerproblem in the wintertime.my generator is in my Garage and it take only some minutes and I have my generator startet.same problem with theft at the village here but at my place I have no proble with this,but in the case my dog will tell me and then I take my shutgun to help the car starting better from the intruder.... at my other place I have hase my generator in outside with a alucover.he was insulatet and I have put animalfencer wire to the Box. twice some body like to look in the box I think.when I went in outside everybode was gone

have a nice day I enjoy all you nice work

say hello to your lovely wife

Benben
Hello my Quebec friend. Great hearing from you sir. I had a good laugh at your story. I think someone might be shot for sure if you caught them stealing your generator lol.

Hope your ready for winter and I'm happy you posted. I told my wife you said hello and she said to say " Hi Ben" :D
Thanks. Glad you liked seeing my work.

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Paul, since you kept the generator mobile for other uses, how did you make the exhaust connection from the generator to the external exhaust pipe?

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul, since you kept the generator mobile for other uses, how did you make the exhaust connection from the generator to the external exhaust pipe?
I basically built a custom fit flange that fits snug up, over and against the spark arrestor/muffler. Once in place its tight and can't disconnect because the generator is locked in place. Here's a few photos.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Wildfire, I have only been on this forum for a short while but in that time I have seen several of you projects and I am amazed at the quality of your work. I wish that I had your ability to create things but I'm to far over the hill at 75 to even try some of the thing that you do, never mind the quality.

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildfire, I have only been on this forum for a short while but in that time I have seen several of you projects and I am amazed at the quality of your work. I wish that I had your ability to create things but I'm to far over the hill at 75 to even try some of the thing that you do, never mind the quality.
Hi Don. Thank you very much for the kind words on my work. I appreciate it very much. Welcome to the site.
Hey your only as old as you feel. That's what my 70 year old brother says. I'm sure you can do what I'm doing. You never know until you try sir.
I'm sure if you were next door we could have a great old chat about tractors and fabrication. I have a brother in law that just retired from Air Canada as a pilot and he's only just getting into computers so your light years ahead of him in that category.
Seeing its along weekend I decided to start my latest project. I'm converting the bucket that's on the 5740 to a grapple bucket. I got a good bit done today. I had fabricated a spill guard on it a few years ago and wanted to keep it so I'm working around that but so far so good.
Happy Thanksgiving Don and to the other members.
Thanks again Don.
Cheers. Paul

Attachments

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hmmmm this should be interesting,, Oh and Happy Thanksgiving my friend