Cultivator advice.

micomike

Equipment
B2400 HSD 48" Howse rotary cutter, 48" box scraper, log hitch, FEL
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Hi guys. Looking to purchase a small 3 point cultivator. Mainly for loosening dirt prior to planting and weed control and cultivating during growing season. I see the flat bent spring type with pointed shanks and also the " Danish Spring" type which are more round and a more peculiar bend with sweep tines. Any advice as far as the advantage or dis-advantage of either type would be appreciated. I do expect to have a fair amount of weeds since I will be using no chemicals.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I'm going to get crushed on this because others know much more than me...

Have you ever seen those old single row cultivators with a steel wheel and handlebars? The ones with arrow or spade tips to cut weed roots? Nurseries around here run big ones. What you described is what we call a chisel plow.

micomike

Equipment
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Yeah Wolfman, that's the type I was referring to. Are they better than the flatter C shaped tines like on County Line and King Cutter brand. That is a great set-up you have. Close to what I want to do. Can I pull something that size with a B series? Have you ever broken any of the springs? Thanks for advice.

micomike

Equipment
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Go to agrisupply's site, and search cultivator, lots to choose from. Then post a picture, and we will chime in on what we have experience with...:D:D

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
I have a Cole A frame single row cultivator with 6 flat C style tines. No issues pulling it with sweeps or the narrow cultivator points in well tilled soil using my B2400 HSD. I turn my gardens with a single bottom plow then disc harrow so not using to break up soil. I suspect I could stall it with the cultivator in heavy sod if I bottomed it out.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yeah Wolfman, that's the type I was referring to. Are they better than the flatter C shaped tines like on County Line and King Cutter brand. That is a great set-up you have. Close to what I want to do. Can I pull something that size with a B series? Have you ever broken any of the springs? Thanks for advice.
I think they are better tines.
Nope never broken or bent any of the springs, and I've used it to break up ice.
I have another one for my b7100 that has three tines and it works very well, I would say most B's 4 to 5 teeth is about the max you would want to pull. ;)

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
The C tines are good, the S tines are better. The S tine is better if you have roots or rocks to flex around, they also work better on hard ground than the C.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I built one in the 80's using the S tines and made it 4 foot wide. It works great. A few years ago I had a compaction problem on one of my food plots so I took this and buried it down to the first bend. I had a 30 HP tractor and had all 4 wheels spinning at times but it did the job and I never gave it a thought about broken tines.

micomike

Equipment
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Thanks for all the input guys. Think I'll go with the S tines since I can get a better deal on one. Probably go 4 tine as Wolfman suggested. Will be working ground that has been turned and disc several times. No rocks or roots, nice soil. Time to reap a little more of natures bounty and seat time on the Kubota. Both a good thing.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
I made my own spring tooth, I have 2 sets of teeth for it one narrow one wide.

Wolfman that looks great! I have a bunch of 2" Square from a project and I want to make one of those for behind my L260 once I get the trans put back together. How many tines should I look at getting and do you have any dimensions that I could copy for mine?

Thanks! This site is the best!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's out on loan to bearskinner right now, he was ripping up a little land last week, when I get it back I'll give you dimensions.

I just use a little miller wire welder, but it works for me. ;)

micomike

Equipment
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
Hi Wolfman. Did you need to add any weight to your cultivator or does the geometry of the tines pull it into the ground. Thanks for the great advice from all who replied to forum.

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
I bought a nice dearborn two row, cut in two sections, and made a three point hitch for the other section. I got it at an auction for $150. Now I have a middle buster/one row cult, hipper/hiller, and a dedicated cultivator with 4" sweeps. One unit became two. Best part, the old dearborn allow you to move horizontally/vertically the position of your tines, and allow great diversity if you have old horse drawn stuff laying around, discs, etc.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi Wolfman. Did you need to add any weight to your cultivator or does the geometry of the tines pull it into the ground. Thanks for the great advice from all who replied to forum.
The tubing adds a little weight but yes the tines actually keep it digging nicely!