cultipacker - does it cover the seed?

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I understand that a cultipacker is used to break up clods, level and prepare the seed bed. It also grooves the soil to help hold moisture.

We normally disk, level and broadcast wheat and oats. After seeding, we lightly pull the disk back over the plot with a pole behind the disk to cover. If we didn't cover the crows and turkeys would wipe us out.

If I were to skip covering and run a cultipacker over the seed, will it press it into the soil and cover it? BTW, we have sandy south Alabama soil. Thanks

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
If all you are doing is food plots, Disk till rough, seed, then use the packer. small grains don't need to be planted real deep...:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We always just did spike harrow with a cultipacker behind that, But I don't see why just the cultipacker wouldn't work. ;)

Oldman

Equipment
MX5100DT/LA844
Feb 16, 2015
Oklahoma
I'm about an hour south of Oklahoma City, and we have a sandy loam soil here. I do alot of work with my grandfather on his ranch. We'll clear out a spot of land, ie. trees, brush, whatever was there that he did not like, and disk it if needed and then broadcast his wheat and/or rye then go over it with the cultipacker. It will push enough into the soil that it almost looks like it was drilled in when it starts to push up and grow. Give it a few months and it'll look great with this method.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
It will depend a lot on how loose the soil is. If it is really loose you would probably be OK but in heavier soil you will need to stir things up a bit with something first.
Years ago Brillion used to make a unit that had two rows of cultipacker wheels with a spring tooth harrow between them. I haven't seen one in a long time but I'm sure that some of them are still around.