Cross member on quick release pins / FEL broken?

Buildthewall

Dec 12, 2021
Ma
Hi, I lent my B26 to a friend and he managed to break the bar that goes between the quick-release pins (I'm not sure what its called). A couple of questions...

What's the easiest way to get this fixed? I assume find a welder to straighten and repair the bar?

I assume the bar is important otherwise it wouldn't be there. Am I going to run into problems if I try to take the bucket off and put some forks on? e.g. is that bar essential to keep the quick release pins in line/sync IMG_2449.jpg IMG_2450.jpg ?

Thanks Dave

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
easiest ?
take to weld shop, cut out old bar, weld in a new one. Be SURE to coverup the latching parts first though !!
keep bucket on, measure the distance to be sure it's square ,true, correct.....

old bar will always be 'weak' and you can cut/weld new one faster and cheaper than straightening the old.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
easiest ?
take to weld shop, cut out old bar, weld in a new one. Be SURE to coverup the latching parts first though !!
keep bucket on, measure the distance to be sure it's square ,true, correct.....

old bar will always be 'weak' and you can cut/weld new one faster and cheaper than straightening the old.
And I would add a lesson learned:

DON'T loan your tractor to anyone!

Reactions: 3 users

Buildthewall

Dec 12, 2021
Ma
Lesson learned, no more loaning my tractor out, and he has a BX model so he should have known what you can and cannot do on a tractor.

I am currently looking at new quick hitch plates as well as pricing up welding.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Lesson learned, no more loaning my tractor out, and he has a BX model so he should have known what you can and cannot do on a tractor.

I am currently looking at new quick hitch plates as well as pricing up welding.
Sadly: You have violated the cardinal rule of "tractoring"
Do not loan your tractor to ANYONE!
Perhaps volunteer to help out, as your time permits, instead!
Now YOU get to coordinate, and pay for, all the issues associated with fixin it!

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good advice on repair already so nothing to add there.

I’ve borrowed and lent equipment rarely and it always involved competent operators who’s own machine was down for repair. Even for competent operators, stuff happens.

Don’t know if the borrower is aware of the damage they caused or not. I do know if I was the borrower and had done that to your machine, there is no way you’d be paying anything for the repair. And if I had returned it damaged, not knowing it was damaged, and you didn’t ever say anything about it to me, that would be upsetting.

With what that is and where it is, if nothing has been said between you and the borrower about the damage, decent chance they don’t know about it.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
My first thought seeing the damage is it got used as a pulling or lifting point over the bucket. I would think the borrower knows it happened.
Bill

Buildthewall

Dec 12, 2021
Ma
The borrower did flag it when he returned it and offered to pay for the repair. Apparently, he went up and over a rock, something he does all the time on his BX :rolleyes: . Its the hassle of me having to sort it out that is annoying. A lesson learned.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Hi, I lent my B26 to a friend and he managed to break the bar that goes between the quick-release pins (I'm not sure what its called). A couple of questions...

What's the easiest way to get this fixed? I assume find a welder to straighten and repair the bar?

I assume the bar is important otherwise it wouldn't be there. Am I going to run into problems if I try to take the bucket off and put some forks on? e.g. is that bar essential to keep the quick release pins in line/sync View attachment 85343 View attachment 85344 ?

Thanks Dave
That bar does in fact keep the ssqa plates in line. I bent mine a little when one pin got released by a stick popping up while backing up and the forks bottom caught a stump on one corner. Straightened flat again easily enough using loader hydraulics and a hardwood block.

If you release the ssqa from the loader bucket with that bar snapped the plates will drift out of parallel alignment with the hydraulics operating them unattached. The loader frame will maintain stiffness of the boom side to side, though.

If the ssqa plates aren't too badly out of line when trying to attach the pallet forks, then curling the forks up all the way, once the top of the ssqa plates have been hooked into the forks properly, will force the pistons to re-align flat to the forks frame when the curl hits top.

Then the pins can be locked. Once the pins are engaged the pallet forks frame maintains stiffness and that broken bar has no active purpose.

So I's say go ahead and use the forks even though swapping off the bucket might be a little trickier until that stiffener bar gets repaired.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Replacing it with a new piece of HSS ( hollow structural steel) would be best, and just as fast as trying to straighten the old one. I would go with a piece of box material, stronger and easier to weld.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Up and over a rock? As most have already said it's the old "never a borrower or lender be". You feel awful saying no sometimes but it really is best. When I bought my BX I had 2 sister in laws that the first thing out of their mouth was "ooh good, I need such and such done". I was flabbergasted. I also had one brother in law who said "the things people spend money on, don't you have a shovel?". He called a week later asking about borrowing. I referred them all to the local rental place.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: had one brother in law who said "the things people spend money on, don't you have a shovel?". He called a week later asking about borrowing. I referred them all to the local rental place.

I would have handed him a shovel...... :)

I've loaned my BX23S out ONCE in 4+ years. It came back CLEANER and with a FULL tank of diesel, so there are a few great people out there !

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Only issue I had was a friend that I was telling with some excitement about the Kubota being delivered in a couple of days. The friend had four tractors: modern units ranging from 60hp to 120hp. He asked if he could borrow mine to do some land clearing since I was getting a grapple. Told him he might could borrow the grapple so long as he didn't use it on the 120hp machine and he looked a bit forlorn so I asked him if he had a third function on any of his tractors and he said no, he didn't. Asked him if he really just asked to borrow a brand new tractor I hadn't even driven yet, not broken in yet, to clear about 20 acres of scrubby junk. He admitted he did. I asked him (without the abbreviation) "WTF, dude! I ain't even got it yet!" He didn't borrow it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Buildthewall

Dec 12, 2021
Ma
A quick update, I ended up purchasing the replacement part (I got the last one left in stock in the entire country) and my friend paid for it in full. I got lucky next time I'm saying no.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Loaning your tractor is akin to loaning your wife......... OK... well not quite. You can always get a new wife, but in this market getting a new tractor is a long wait! :)

ManZLand

Equipment
L3901
Jan 5, 2022
Wisconsin
A quick update, I ended up purchasing the replacement part (I got the last one left in stock in the entire country) and my friend paid for it in full. I got lucky next time I'm saying no.
I had the same issue on my L3901. I detached the curl ram on the bent side where it connects to the loader arm on top. Then I put a hitch pin in the same hole and used my Hi-Lift jack with the top assembly folded down. I put the jack on the top of the Quick attach plate and the other end over the hitch pin. I jacked it to about 1” beyond straight to allow for bounce back. It worked to perfection. Took about 20 minutes. The part alone was over $1000 and wouldn’t be available until sometime next year. Hope this helps someone…Mike

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That’s ALMOST as good as what he SHOULD HAVE done. (before returning it to you he should have called you to apologize and offer to take it to the dealer to have it repaired at his own expense and then delivered to you after the repair.)

He’ll likely never ask again…but if he did, my answer would be “Sorry… No.”.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That’s ALMOST as good as what he SHOULD HAVE done. (before returning it to you he should have called you to apologize and offer to take it to the dealer to have it repaired at his own expense and then delivered to you after the repair.)

He’ll likely never ask again…but if he did, my answer would be “Sorry… No.”.
Best answer in my opinion is:

Sorry,....... I don't loan my wife, my chain saw, or my tractor!
That will shut most beggars up!