Critique My Binder Setup

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I’m hauling my new MX5400 with chain and binders for the first time. I’ve never used chain and binders, always used straps (6 heavy duty) with my L3901.

I used 3/8” Grade 70 chain with a rachet binder at each corner. I’m not a huge fan of using the draw bar for both chains in back (single point of failure) so I’m hoping to figure something out that works when the BH92 is installed or any random 3 point implement.

Anyhow, I’m posting for pointers if I’ve done anything wrong with this setup. I’m headed to the dealership around lunch time Monday.

6B9B0830-DA23-4290-8A0B-063B5527B09E.jpeg 8D5F0E84-7C68-48ED-B4A5-3BC58CB2EB5D.jpeg CF4F2650-9583-469E-A24E-C826E85015A2.jpeg 81D1F4F1-3E14-465E-AEE6-61EE0E8D45D8.jpeg BEE2400F-DD4B-4E9B-B8A0-2F4AB7967ED1.jpeg

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I would think dot may pick your rear point. It is two chains attached to the same part on the machine. If that link was to fail the entire rear would be unattached. Unlike the front where each chain goes to its own independent mount point. You also probably need a single tiedown to the front loader(implement).

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’m reasonably confident someone can find something to criticize, but I’d have to say that looks better than a lot of what I see actually going down the road.

Reactions: 1 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Could use a strap over the bucket mount/on bucket if attached. Other than that, looks good to me. The fact you are actually trying, I doubt any officer will give you a second look.

What is the weight, as pictured? Reason I ask, under 10k you only legally need 2 chains/2 binders. Over 10k gets 4.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too would bind on two separate points on the rear - two on front, four corner pressure.

Reactions: 1 user

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I trailer a MX5400 as well. I use the same points as you. Binders are basically the same too. Normally with bucket and box blade.
And like the comments on the rear connection, I agree two different points in the rear would be preferable however I can't find a great place for this. The rear axle is not a option.
I have used that setup a lot and the tractor is secure.
Weight wise, yes it only needs two points if not commercial.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Add a strap across the FEL, DOT rules, and you are good to go.

Check the Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer and the gvw of the truck plus the tractor.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The rear drawbar seems like it will be putting a lot of twisting moment on the rear end. That is a long lever arm sticking out.

I would suggest you look for an alternate place to tie the rear down. Could you put a hoist ring in those empty holes in the back hoe mounting brackets? Not sure what that would do to the actual ability to mount the back hoe.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Mine is very similar but I remove the draw bar and pin the clevis to the tractor where the draw bar is pinned. I like it that way super rigid and I run the chain from side to side through the clevis. So only one chain and binder in the rear.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm assuming that your tractor weighs less than 10,000lbs, so it requires one strap in the front and one in the rear according to Federal DOT (States can have additional requirements). Additional straps/tie-downs are encouraged to prevent movement of the load. One of the changes that has been made by DOT is that one chain can be used to secure two points (it is easier to see than explain, here is a video that shows it
).

393.130 - Heavy Vehicles, Equipment and Machinery
These requirements are applicable to the transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors and power shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) or more. Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) may be secured in accordance with these rules, the rules for automobiles, light trucks and vans, or the general freight requirements.

§ 393.128 What are the rules for securing automobiles, light trucks and vans?
(a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of automobiles, light trucks, and vans which individually weigh 4,536 kg. (10,000 lb) or less. Vehicles which individually are heavier than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb) must be secured in accordance with the provisions of § 393.130 of this part.

(b) Securement of automobiles, light trucks, and vans.

(1) Automobiles, light trucks, and vans must be restrained at both the front and rear to prevent lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical movement using a minimum of two tiedowns.

(2) Tiedowns that are designed to be affixed to the structure of the automobile, light truck, or van must use the mounting points on those vehicles that have been specifically designed for that purpose.

(3) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of an automobile, light truck, or van must provide restraint in the lateral, longitudinal and vertical directions.

(4) Edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where the webbing comes in contact with the tires.

Reactions: 1 users

Fladogman

Feb 1, 2020
Crawfordville Fl
I see you have a backhoe mount, have y thought about looping the chain over the hoe connecting hooks? That's how I carry mine without the backhoe. And as mentioned before the weight is less than #10,000 so two chains are all that's required. Although it's a gray area I run my front chain through the fel spreader tube by hooking the chain hook in the end of a pipe and shoving it through. It is quick and easy. I've never been pulled over using this setup. Be sure and strap your BH down separately, they will stop you if not 6B9B0830-DA23-4290-8A0B-063B5527B09E~2.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I transport my MX5800, on the rear I remove the drawbar and insert the chain behind the drawbar pin point from above and just use one 3/8 chain on the rear. That way I have connected direct to the drawbar mount / tractor frame and have no pin to come out.
Overall a nice chain job that you did.

I use the same yellow chain binders and I see that you have a pin in them to keep the ratchet direction lever in place, nice idea, on longer journeys especially freeway I would use zip ties but will look into pins for future use.

Last edited:

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
This is probably the only time I'll ever transport the tractor w/o the front bucket/forks and w/o any implement on back. I'm taking it to the dealer so they can mount the BH92 out back and they're bringing it back to me. The BH92 was not ready when the tractor was ready so I have to take it back.

I can't see how to multi-quote on this forum so I'm going to reply individually. If I'm missing the ability to multi-quote, someone point me to it please.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I would think dot may pick your rear point. It is two chains attached to the same part on the machine. If that link was to fail the entire rear would be unattached. Unlike the front where each chain goes to its own independent mount point. You also probably need a single tiedown to the front loader(implement).
I agree on the rear. While I'm under 10k and only required to use one chain front and one rear, I will never move this much weight with only two chains. God forbid one come loose in that scenario...

Regarding the loader, while I don't believe it's required under 10k (?), I'll throw a strap over it.

Last edited:

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Could use a strap over the bucket mount/on bucket if attached. Other than that, looks good to me. The fact you are actually trying, I doubt any officer will give you a second look.

What is the weight, as pictured? Reason I ask, under 10k you only legally need 2 chains/2 binders. Over 10k gets 4.
With the FEL + bucket, tractor + filled rear tires and the BH92 installed, my math puts me around 8,500-8,800 pounds, not counting the trailer. For this trip there's no FEL bucket and no BH92 so I'm obviously way under that.

I understand the legality of only needing 2 chains, but I just can't do it. I've always gone a bit overboard securing loads. This is one place where 'better safe than sorry' really comes into play.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
The rear drawbar seems like it will be putting a lot of twisting moment on the rear end. That is a long lever arm sticking out.

I would suggest you look for an alternate place to tie the rear down. Could you put a hoist ring in those empty holes in the back hoe mounting brackets? Not sure what that would do to the actual ability to mount the back hoe.
I was thinking the same thing about the drawbar, though it is a rather substantial chunk of metal. I will look and see if I can remove the bar and mount directly to the drawbar insert instead.

My first instinct was to mount an attachment point in those holes on the subframe but none of the holes in one plate line up with holes in the other plate so I can't run a bolt through any of those holes. I may drill one through but I want to get the BH92 first and see what makes sense with it installed.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Mine is very similar but I remove the draw bar and pin the clevis to the tractor where the draw bar is pinned. I like it that way super rigid and I run the chain from side to side through the clevis. So only one chain and binder in the rear.
I do like the idea of removing the drawbar and mounting a clevis directly instead. I would still use 2 chains just for peace of mind though. We're only talking a few extra minutes for the added security.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I transport my MX5800, on the rear I remove the drawbar and insert the chain behind the drawbar pin point from above and just use one 3/8 chain on the rear. That way I have connected direct to the drawbar mount / tractor frame and have no pin to come out.
Overall a nice chain job that you did.

I use the same yellow chain binders and I see that you have a pin in them to keep the ratchet direction lever in place, nice idea, on longer journeys especially freeway I would use zip ties but will look into pins for future use.
I see everyone else thought to remove the drawbar but me. ;)

Go to Harbor Freight if you have one nearby - I bought a 20-pack of the pins for $9.99 - they sell them individually in the trailer section for $3.49. The 20-pack is obviously a much better deal.

I also used one pin on each loose chain - wrapped the chain around itself and then stuck a pin through 2 links to keep it in place.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I see you have a backhoe mount, have y thought about looping the chain over the hoe connecting hooks? That's how I carry mine without the backhoe. And as mentioned before the weight is less than #10,000 so two chains are all that's required. Although it's a gray area I run my front chain through the fel spreader tube by hooking the chain hook in the end of a pipe and shoving it through. It is quick and easy. I've never been pulled over using this setup. Be sure and strap your BH down separately, they will stop you if not
I did ponder using the 'buckets' where the BH pins set, but I chose not to because the chain wouldn't be securely attached to the tractor. In a worst case scenario, the chain pops up out of those valleys and the tractor is loose. I want this thing secured so well that the tractor would still be attached to the trailer even if it rolls over.

Looking at the pictures I posted, there appears to be paint missing on my FEL tube where someone before me ran a chain through the tube. That would've been the MFR or the dealership (the dealership has two locations and I know they took it back and forth once or twice getting it ready).