Credit Rating Nonsense

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is only a number, and at a certain point, you don't have to worry about fluctuations. Some of the credit card companies will give you your credit rating number, and also have a "tool" that will help you to better understand the ups and downs of the credit number. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the drop unless some unknown person opened an account in your name and is using your good credit to steal resulting in the number dropping since you now have the opportunity to have additional debt.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Important transactions include credit checks. Lenders require a credit check to obtain housing, car loans, housing, car insurance, and mobile phones. The FICO score predicts how reliable you will be on the borrower's part in repaying borrowed funds. However, as a rule, if a person does not have a credit history older than six months, he will not have a score. Therefore, I respect your point, but I can't entirely agree with it. Credit rating is important when getting a loan. Financial planning should be carried out with a wealth management advisor to avoid problems.
Spaaammmmmm

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Spaaammmmmm
I am not sure if that comment is worth much more than the time it took to type it...(n)

EDIT: But I guess you were right. I looked for the post and it was not to be found...shame on me I suppose...can't find the poster either.

Guess I am more naive than I thought I was...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
“First of all a credit score of 900 really isn’t possible..
Experian says exactly different IN THAT SAME LINK: “
“ But many, many scoring models exist, with different score ranges and measures of perfection that differ with their numerical scales. For instance, the first two versions of the VantageScore model, VantageScore 1.0 and 2.0, use a scale of 501 to 990, so 990 is their perfect ideal.

(Whatever… in any case, I only relied upon what my banker told me (my score) when I asked for the short-term loan.)

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
My bank provides the credit score for free for the 'Premier' customers. Mine has hovered between 828 and 832 for 20 years. My income and net worth keep shooting up. Yet this last month, my score dropped to 782. Not that it matters really, I am a cash buyer so the score has no value to me other than 'buttering my bread'. But a 50 point drop for no reason? Did they give my 50 points to some deserving soul who only had 450?
My insurance companies send them twice a year, my banks post my credit score on my online banking accounts every month. I have experienced similar "scores" as you, low 800's and just checking right now........... 796. Whatever, I could care less except insurance companies can nick me for higher premiums based on one's credit score. Apparently there is a correlation between credit, and insurance premium payments on time, and claims.

So I told my insurance company "I want your best rate always so if my *credit score* whoever comes up with causes you to increase any of my premiums you need to first tell me! For God's sake I want to pay my policies once each year (a year ahead) but you will not allow me to pay more than 6 months ahead, why is credit rating even a concern with you?"

She said "don't worry the credit score you have won't be affecting your premium". (At that time it was whatever 790-830). I said "OK what number do I have to make sure that it doesn't drop below that's all I want to know?" She said "your risk rating is based on various parameters credit being just one, so it's not possible to give you an exact number". Well if they're going to play the game of ambiguous rating, I see no option other than shop multiple insurance companies for the lowest quote every year.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
BUT...is having money in the "Bank" even considered with respect to the credit rating?
It does with my bank. Mind you, credit ratings are calculated differently north of the border so I can't say if it's the bank or the system.

I went for years without a major credit card. I had a couple of store cards for the rewards systems and paid them off religiously to avoid interest charges. Then came the internet and the potential to shop on-line, but for that I needed a major CC.

So I went to the bank. Told the loan officer in charge of such things that I wanted a card for online shopping with a low credit limit, say $500. Or perhaps a pre-paid card. Something that would limit my risk if the number was stolen (yes I know the CC company is supposed to protect one in such events, but I prefer to limit my liability in the event they don't). I guess I gave him the wrong impression and he assumed I was trying to restore my credit rating or something. I didn't understand the direction of his comments until later on in the conversation but he clearly was not eager to give me a credit card.

The turning point came when he asked me if I had an account at that bank. When he typed in the account number he literally sat back in his chair and widened his eyes. It was the closest I've ever seen anyone come to a real spit-take. His whole demeanor changed and he said "Oh. Why Mr. [torch] I can give you a card with a $25,000 limit right now!".

That was the closest I have ever come to doing a real face-palm. Wasn't he listening? "I don't want a $25,000 limit, I want a $500 limit." That's when he explained about how people try to rebuild bad credit ratings and how pre-paid cards are a scam to prey on the poor, etc. etc. Anyway, the upshot was that the lowest limit card they had was a minimum $1,000 so I never got what I was after. But the overall balance sheet was definitely a factor in their equations.