Crazy Compactor Idea?

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
OK, been looking to pick up an inexpensive compactor (HF) for all the gravel work we are getting ready to do. That said, I'm wondering if I can make a large heavy wheel to do the same thing.

When we backed our 5th wheel under the lean too, we noticed that after going over the same area 2-3 times, the gravel packed down nicely. Running the numbers, I estimate each tire has roughly 2,200lbs weight on it (after also deducting pin weight).

I have an old scrap 48" diameter tank that instead of scrapping, was thinking of cutting the ends off and welding something up that was 14-16" tall. Filled with water it would weigh around 1,100-1,300lbs. But filled with concrete would be around 2,400-2,700lbs.

If ran a bar thru the center and made some 'clips' to keep the bar on the fork attachment for FEL, could I drive it around letting it compact the gravel?

I realize it's not turning on a dime, but could I still turn it? Am I asking for trouble with the Tractor I have (B2650)? I know it won't lift it, I'm just wondering if I can safely push/pull it around. Thinking of trying it with just water in it first since it wont cost me hardly anything. If that works, then spend the $$$ on the concrete fill.

Or is this one of those ideas that makes you think I belong in the loony bin?🤪

busterja21

Oct 12, 2019
colorado
why not make some brackets/arms that allow you to mount it to the hitch like a lawn roller. also can you fill it with stone, not as heavy as concrete, but sounds like you already have alot around.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Most likely the tank walls are not thick enough to hold up. If you will look at wall thickness on commercial rollers know I have seen them with 1/2 inch thick walls. Have a nephew who tried to make one from a 500 gallon fuel tank and filled with water the tank was flexing enough it was cracking. This was on dirt that have been disked. Don't forget the need to transport.

I would first look at used rollers. Have you checked out rental?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We made this at work a few years ago to dress up some larger areas of gravel material storage. It's made from 12" slices of 24' SCH 40 steel pipe with an 18" piece in the middle. I went with sections to assist with turns. If it were all one piece there'd be some skidding, especially on short turns. Connected to the drawbar with that long tongue it'll turn easily.

The pieces have rebar spiders that hold pieces of 3" SCH 40 pipe in place for the axle to pass through. These are 13" long. The extra 1/2" on each side of the concrete donut maintains a 1" space between the sections so they won't bid on turns. The main axle is a piece of 2-1/2" pipe running through all the sections as an axle. That provides enough play to let the individual sections have a little freedom of movement.

It worked well on the gravel areas. We tried it later on some asphalt millings and it didn't do the job. For that we rented a vibratory ride-on roller. I brought it home once to roll an area down by the creek to get rid of some bumps. It was ineffective there as well even though the ground was soft at the time.

Attachments

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
4' used roller filled with concrete weighs around a ton hard to hook up here's my mod for a trailer mover.
20200330_140346.jpg

20200330_140402.jpg

Commercial "Rolling grader" empty weight about the same as cement roller.
20150321_123338.jpg

Have 3 different tractors for power units. Fun to show off, gives neighbors .
roller envy
20200401_152545.jpg

quickly scrapes off mole hills and flattens runs

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have to ask 'how much gravel work' and what's the overal purpose ?
If for say a foundation floor, pavers, etc. better to rent a power tamper and do every 4" 'lift'. I have a 4' roller and yup, filled with water she's a beast to pull AND STOP ! It doesn't compact as nice as a small square tamper though. GREAT, if empty for setting winter rye into the garden !!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Depending what you're wanting to do, a wide roller does not do well for actually compacting material. That is why you see a sheep's foot roller on job sites.

Folks think a dozer compacts soil because it big and heavy. The reason treads are wider on crawler tractors that go over wet area and ice is because of less weight per sq ft.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
OK, been looking to pick up an inexpensive compactor (HF) for all the gravel work we are getting ready to do. That said, I'm wondering if I can make a large heavy wheel to do the same thing.

When we backed our 5th wheel under the lean too, we noticed that after going over the same area 2-3 times, the gravel packed down nicely. Running the numbers, I estimate each tire has roughly 2,200lbs weight on it (after also deducting pin weight).

I have an old scrap 48" diameter tank that instead of scrapping, was thinking of cutting the ends off and welding something up that was 14-16" tall. Filled with water it would weigh around 1,100-1,300lbs. But filled with concrete would be around 2,400-2,700lbs.

If ran a bar thru the center and made some 'clips' to keep the bar on the fork attachment for FEL, could I drive it around letting it compact the gravel?

I realize it's not turning on a dime, but could I still turn it? Am I asking for trouble with the Tractor I have (B2650)? I know it won't lift it, I'm just wondering if I can safely push/pull it around. Thinking of trying it with just water in it first since it wont cost me hardly anything. If that works, then spend the $$$ on the concrete fill.

Or is this one of those ideas that makes you think I belong in the loony bin?🤪
Can't help you with the roller, but, I have the harbor freight option you posted above. It works great and I think I got it for just shy of $400. The cost to rent in my area is about $90/day. That makes the math pretty easy.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Saw this thread and then realized I didn't have a decent pic of my roller/compactor. It's ancient, the guy I bought it from was in his 40s and he said it belonged to his grandfather. He was asking $100, talked him down to $80, then while loading it, I got stung twice by bees that were P.O.ed by his son shooting at the hives with a BB gun. He lowered the price to $65. 60" wide, 920lbs, full of antifreeze.
I added the 2" coupler later.
IMG_0019.JPG

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I can't really see a roller working. Compactor or hire a vibrator roller would be how I would do it too

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a buddy with an elevator company that hooked me up with a 60" piece of 1/2"x20" steel that I used to make a roller. It weighs just over 1300lbs. (full) and works very well. I use it primarily to set a road after boxing/raking and to roll out lawns.
roller.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
Thanks for all the replies!

I think there was a little misunderstanding of what I had in mind. The idea was to have the roller 4' tall and only 14-16" wide. I realize now in my original post, I said 14-16" tall. Sorry for the confusion.

That said, I realize this thing would end up being a beast and although it would probably pack the ground down well, being that tall would pose a tipping hazard that could crush someone.

Not going to be used for foundation work, just gravel driveway and pathways maintenance. Sounds like the Harbor Freight option will be the best for our intent.

Thanks again for the replies and ideas.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wide roller is very good for driveway mtce, however before you roll, drag a bar with chains a few times(5-6 ?) to 'fluuf up and bring the 'cream' up THEN roll. That way you'll get a flatter,smoother driveway.