Cracked Steering Wheel

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I noticed a Crack in the rim of the steering wheel on my M4700. It’s a crack which is a clean and complete crack all the way thru at the mid-point between two spokes. I don’t know how these things are made…but the break is so clean, straight and complete…about 1/16” wide… exposing the metal “rod” that makes up the base….that it resembles as-if it were molded with that crack being at the ends of the mould-line.

I”ve mixed up some JBWeld Kwik and used a tongue-depressor to ”pack” it into the crack…and wrapped it with masking tape to hold it until it cures overnight in this cool weather. (I’m about to go out and see how that turned out now, expecting to need to sand it with fine sandpaper to give a good finish.)

Just wondering if anyone else has experiences like this.

I suspect that my male family members use the steering wheel as a “hand-hold” to pull themselves up into the seat…which cannot be a good thing to do. I”ve done so myself in the past and tried to discourage that…as Kubota designed two hand-holds into the tractor…one on the left fender and one as a FEL cross-brace across the instrument panel.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I noticed a Crack in the rim of the steering wheel on my M4700. It’s a crack which is a clean and complete crack all the way thru at the mid-point between two spokes. I don’t know how these things are made…but the break is so clean, straight and complete…about 1/16” wide… exposing the metal “rod” that makes up the base….that it resembles as-if it were molded with that crack being at the ends of the mould-line.

I”ve mixed up some JBWeld Kwik and used a tongue-depressor to ”pack” it into the crack…and wrapped it with masking tape to hold it until it cures overnight in this cool weather. (I’m about to go out and see how that turned out now, expecting to need to sand it with fine sandpaper to give a good finish.)

Just wondering if anyone else has experiences like this.

I suspect that my male family members use the steering wheel as a “hand-hold” to pull themselves up into the seat…which cannot be a good thing to do. I”ve done so myself in the past and tried to discourage that…as Kubota designed two hand-holds into the tractor…one on the left fender and one as a FEL cross-brace across the instrument panel.
I would not blame anyone, except the sun (not son), and plastic(?) composite age.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Should have V'd the break with a file and left the walls rough. Overfill the crack and then sand after the filler sets up. Keep using progressively finer sandpaper till it is smooth. Paint and hope that it doesn't come back. That is how we do it with our old cars.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I would not blame anyone, except the sun (not son), and plastic(?) composite age.
I keep it stored indoors and the previous owner claimed to do so also. (The paint is bright/shiney after 28 years still…and the original seat vinyl was fine/not cracked…so maybe he did.)

I’ll post a pic of the finished repair tonite.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Plastics shrink with age, just like vinyls do. Even humans shrink with age, well, as to in height, not girth!

Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Sounds like your fix will be good.

I use a spinner knob on my Kubota so I rarely actually grab the wheel.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Here’s the finished repair:

IMG_2378.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Great repair. I have done car restorations and JB weld sure comes in handy. Plastic certainly shrinks and gets brittle with age. Hard to find an original steering wheel in an older classic car without at least one crack.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Where did you get the handle that runs between the loader arms? I have the same problem with my wife using the steering wheel when she gets up. Awesome repair by the way
It was part of the original loader installation. There’s another boarding-handle on the front of the left fender.

Item 70 in Messicks diagram of the LA 1002 Loader:

IMG_2380.png

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I think vasically all of them do that crack eventually. The plastic shrinks and it cracks from tension which is why its so ‘clean’ of a break. Nice repair job!