Cost of items

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Those "guys" buy the refrigerant to have it destroyed and then sell the carbon credits to polluters to allow them to continue polluting.
Oh. I thought, great, a way to get rid of the refrigerant I ended up with when Dad passed. Not sure I support that structure.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They are, but recovery time is lower. Especially on vehicles. That powder from ABCs can cause problems with the wiring harness down the road. It is corrosive, and more so when wet. We use the dry chemical in the garage, and CO2 + dry chemical in the kitchen (CO2 and grease fires dont mix). The truck has a DC under the seat. The shop and toy hauler where a fire is most likely to happen while working on something, is always Halon.
Your suggested possibility of problems "down the road" may be valid, but is of no real concern to me.
If a fire......I want to put it out.....NOW,......by having a capable extinguisher available within sight.
In my case: "down the road" is probably not very far!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Your suggested possibility of problems "down the road" may be valid, but is of no real concern to me.
If a fire......I want to put it out.....NOW,......by having a capable extinguisher available within sight.
In my case: "down the road" is probably not very far!
I want it out NOW also. That's why there are several. I get that its a cost thing. For me, time is money. No clean up = less time. I'm not saying they are better at putting out a fire.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I want it out NOW also. That's why there are several. I get that its a cost thing. For me, time is money. No clean up = less time. I'm not saying they are better at putting out a fire.
Depending on the specific deductible, I am Ok with letting my insurance company pick up the clean up costs.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
It's most likely not a Halon ( CFC ) but the replacement FM 200 which has zero ODP but is considered Green House Gas. Plus it's a whole lot more expensive.
So are the extinguishers in my shop and RV. Less mess to clean up (none) and no equipment damage from the powder residue.
It's most likely not a Halon ( CFC ) but the replacement FM 200 which has zero ODP but is considered Green House Gas. Plus it's a whole lot more expensive.
Halon production was cut off over 20 years ago.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

Halon production was cut off over 20 years ago.
Nope, it's the real deal Halon 1211. Readily available to be shipped. Just like R11, R12, and R22, it cannot be manufactured in NA but it can be reused.
20230603_181857.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When they get around to it 😉
I have had USAA insurance for 61 years.
35 years ago had a $240K (fire) claim, with no problems.
Cannot guess if situation would be the same today.
Hope I do not need to find out.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I have had USAA insurance for 61 years.
35 years ago had a $240K (fire) claim, with no problems.
Cannot guess if situation would be the same today.
Hope I do not need to find out.
A quarter mil claim is different than wanting them to come clean up after a small flame you put out with a powder extinguisher. Again, I'm not saying they're bad. You do what you feel is right for you. I'm just not dealing with the clean up of an entire shop just because I had to puff out a small fire.
Don't get me started on USAA...ugh. Rates aren't competitive, don't do motorcycles (dropped that without warning), wanted to replace half my roof after storm damage (the back half of the roof was in the same storm as the front!). After they paid for the front half, I dropped them and been enjoying the savings ever since. Hell, their finance rates aren't competitive either.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
For my house, I use one of these type "extinguishers"....

All my photographs are digital, and I'll need a roof in about 5 years.

So I'd likely get arrested for tackling the fire fighters responding.

1685872787303.png

1685873150562.png

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nope, it's the real deal Halon 1211. Readily available to be shipped. Just like R11, R12, and R22, it cannot be manufactured in NA but it can be reused.
View attachment 104048
Oh Yah......
$1174 for a Halon extinguisher with 9 lbs. of Halon.
Not for me!
A quarter mil claim is different than wanting them to come clean up after a small flame you put out with a powder extinguisher. Again, I'm not saying they're bad. You do what you feel is right for you. I'm just not dealing with the clean up of an entire shop just because I had to puff out a small fire.
Don't get me started on USAA...ugh. Rates aren't competitive, don't do motorcycles (dropped that without warning), wanted to replace half my roof after storm damage (the back half of the roof was in the same storm as the front!). After they paid for the front half, I dropped them and been enjoying the savings ever since. Hell, their finance rates aren't competitive either.
I yield to your experience with USAA,...... as it is obviously much more current than mine.

I am in a geographic (coastal) area where coverage is offered through a state assigned risk pool,...... and rates are absurd.
In addition, this structure (childhood home) is 293 years old.
Prior to USAA, I did have coverage through Lloyds of London, but USAA currently provides me with better coverage for less cost.

The long ago $240K fire loss occurred with a different house, in a different state.

Last edited: