correct pin sizes for attachments and other questions for a rookie PHD man

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
I have a cat 2 3 point on my MX5100

I bought a used PHD. The lift eyes are 1-1/8" dia. on the lift arms. the pins on the digger are 7/8".

i bought 2 bushings so the fit was tighter between the pins and arm. Is that prudent to due and or necessary?
I seems like a good Idea to me so its more rigid.
Also the lift arms have the adjusting holes and slots for the pin to go thru to adjust the spacing between the arms.
With a mower deck i use the slotted holes to allow it to float a little. Should i use the hole instead, again makes more rigid setup, won't sway sideways.
The top link hole has a pin where the boom arm attaches. There is some slop between the pin and the hole in the boom arm at the attachment point. Should I bush there also ?
First time user for this city slicker with the PHD and not real experienced tractor wise in general.
Excuse my ignorance. This PHD thing scares me a little , maybe Im over thinking this but appreciate your guys help.
I don't want to kill myself or someone else with this contraption.

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Yes use bushings. The final set up should be a slip fit, no wobbling around in your connections.
When using your digger only go as fast as you need to to dig. In other words lowest rpm's to get the job done.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a cat 2 3 point on my MX5100

I bought a used PHD. The lift eyes are 1-1/8" dia. on the lift arms. the pins on the digger are 7/8".

i bought 2 bushings so the fit was tighter between the pins and arm. Is that prudent to due and or necessary?
I seems like a good Idea to me so its more rigid.
Also the lift arms have the adjusting holes and slots for the pin to go thru to adjust the spacing between the arms.
With a mower deck i use the slotted holes to allow it to float a little. Should i use the hole instead, again makes more rigid setup, won't sway sideways.
The top link hole has a pin where the boom arm attaches. There is some slop between the pin and the hole in the boom arm at the attachment point. Should I bush there also ?
First time user for this city slicker with the PHD and not real experienced tractor wise in general.
Excuse my ignorance. This PHD thing scares me a little , maybe Im over thinking this but appreciate your guys help.
I don't want to kill myself or someone else with this contraption.
Use the holes and not the slots on the sway arms when setting up a PDH, you don't want it swaying side to side.
The pins should be fairly snug in both the implement and the tractor, on the top link tractor side, there should not be any bushings just the appropriate size pin, sounds like you have a pin that is too small if it's sloppy.
On the ends of the center link and three point arms, you can use bushings to bring the pins up from Cat I sized pins to Cat II sized pins.

PHD can be a little unnerving till you use them for a little bit, Keep the RPM's low, like idle low, till you get a good feel for how it digs holes, it will do the same amount of work at idle as it will reved up, it will just do it slower!
Always keep someone at the stop control, to stop the PTO fast if there is any issue, keep anyone away from the bit as it will grab anything and suck it in and wrap it up in a heart beat! :eek:

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Its tempting to have someone push on the post hole digger to line it up or help it dig. Do NOT do so. As suggested above keep everyone back from the digger at all times.
Sounds like your ok on the bushing and holes if I am reading it right. No slack when using the post hole digger. A little float on the mower is a good idea.

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
Thanks guys . Sounds like I'm on the right track.
Next friday i'll be drilling. I be in the seat, low rpm. If it grabs i'll depress the clutch pedal, that will stop the PTO. I assume I should adjust the knob under the seat to slow the drop speed of the 3 point arms. At least till I get the hang of it. The 3 point arms don't have down pressure right? So basically the auger has to catch and screw itself down , I have the weight of the auger and gearbox i guess.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Don’t let it “Screw” into the ground really fast. It will get hung up and will be almost impossible it get it out of the ground. I usually let it down a little at a time instead of putting the lever all the way to the lower position.

It will take a few holes but you will get the hang of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
STAY THE HELL AWAY from that Auger! And keep everyone else away from it also.

If you get it stuck.... you may find you must UN-screw it from the ground or root or whatever has stuck-it. SHUT THE TRACTOR DOWN before approaching it. Disengage the PTO clutch before unscrewing the auger. Don't ever stick a crowbar, etc. thru a u-joint etc with the tractor running!

If you're not experienced with a PHD, you simply cannot imagine the many ways you can get killed or lose an arm, hand, or eye.

No. I'm not exaggerating.

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
I got the hang of it guys. the Auger bit that I got with the used PHD was pretty wore, wouldn't really dig . I couldn't find the replaceable cutting blades for it. Not sure who's it is. So I picked up a 12" from TSC. Night and day difference. I bored 3 feet deep in no time.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Nice to hear. I usually dig a little and pull the bit up and let it back down and dig a little. Easy to get them stuck and since there is no reverse it a mess.

Just be careful around them.

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
When I got a couple feet down I'd stop the PTO with clutch, withdrawal auger to surface. It pulls up a lot of dirt that way, then let out clutch to spin auger , dirt flings off auger. stop PTO again, drop auger down hole , turn auger and go down to 36-40" depth. Never got it stuck. I started holes at real low RPM, then throttled up slowly to about 1200 RPM, slowly dropped 3 point. This thing is awesome.
I'm so Glad i got this tractor, I would be lost without it.
Best purchase I ever made. Kubota is a hell of a machine.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Sounds like its working fine. Just keep in mind a tree root or being right on the edge of a rock will often times keep you from pulling the Aulger up, especially if your down more than a little bit.