Corner Defrost Added to Grand L40 Cab

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Installed corner defogger glass to the L4740 cab today and thought I'd share a few notes.

The tractor was originally equipped with rear defogger, but not the corner glass. I was able to find the corner defogger kit, L8331 for only $160 compared to the normal price of $307.

The installation went fairly easy, but the original fasteners holding the glass in place took some effort to remove due to the use of thread locker.

The defogger wires were protruding from the roof liner, but were a bit short to attach to the glass. There was too much resistance when trying to pull the wires downward. Not wanting to risk any damage to the wires, the roof was removed for inspection. Nothing was really preventing the wires from being pulled further downward except for all the tape wrapping the wire harness. (Removing the roof was unnecessary in the end.)

When removing the outside roof, do not remove the four screws (2 each side) at the door opening. The picture below indicates which screws stay in place.

If anyone is contemplating the conversion, I'd rate it a 2 out of 5 for difficulty. Extra set of hands is helpful when removing and installing the glass.

Roof bolts are 10mm for what it is worth.

Will see how they work come winter time.

Attachments