Coolant?

Antique L185

Equipment
1979 L185FT 2WD
Mar 4, 2020
Parrish, FL USA
Hello all,

New member here. I'm the new owner of a 1979 L185. I want to ask what others use for coolant? The manual says straight water, but with my experience in the automotive field, that kind of scares me. Does anyone else use an actual coolant for the rust inhibitors? Like a 50/50 mix of water and coolant?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Nick

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep. Ordinary ethylene glycol antifreeze such as Prestone.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
if you are adding water use only distilled water if you want to save your radiator. I would not recommend water only.

You can buy 50/50 pre-mixed glycol if you want less trouble.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Depends entirely on the climate. Distilled water has the best heat transfer coefficient but up here, antifreeze in a 50-50 mix in a necessity. Florida had no hard freeze issue so distilled is fine.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Depends entirely on the climate. Distilled water has the best heat transfer coefficient but up here, antifreeze in a 50-50 mix in a necessity. Florida had no hard freeze issue so distilled is fine.

Flip - - - confused a little. Maybe I interpreted it incorrectly.

Do you mean just plain distilled water is okay if you don't freeze?

If so, I would not recommend that at all, because of corrosion, etc.

More so than soft/softened water, distilled will be highly aggressive to the metal parts of the cooling system. The system is open to the atmosphere, so the addition of oxygen can make it ugly to things metal.

Trust me I'm far from an expert, but modern coolants have additives to avoid that kind of thing. Don't think you want to lose that.

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Never use water by itself, distilled or not. Rust happens and then rust particles eat up the seals in the water pump. It also stops up passages where the coolant flows.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Never use water by itself, distilled or not. Rust happens and then rust particles eat up the seals in the water pump. It also stops up passages where the coolant flows.
So true.

Just look in the water tank of an old "hit-and-miss" engine.....:)

Again, I may not have interpreted Flip's post correctly.

I just didn't want the OP to read the same way I did - that pure distilled was okay.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not an 'open to the atmosphere' system, they are a closed, pressurized system with an expansion tank (on some models) and an expansion cavity in the top of the rad on others so there is no introduction of atmosphere into the coolant except during initial fill.

Once the coolant heats up, the oxygen is driven out, escapes into the coolant tank and bubbles out or via the rad cap seal which is a one way valve. The coolant overflow is also one way. The heating coolant liberates 02 into the expansion tank and when the system cools it draws coolant from the tank back into the system which is why when you change the coolant, after a heat cool cycle, the expansion tank has to be topped off, because the liberated 02 is gone and the volume decreases.

Same thing applies to the in floor PEX heat system I heat my shop with. I run glycol in that because of the freeze factor but if I lived in a climate that didn't experience below 32(f) temps, I'd run straight distilled water for the most efficient heat transfer.

My PEX system, like your cooling system is a sealed from the atmosphere system and if I add glycol (or water), as the system heats and cools, 02 is liberated from the mix and I vent it off with oxygen eliminators.

Why distilled (mineral free) water is the best coolant. Not tap water. Distilled is mineral free, basically inert H20.

You won't get mineral build up in the rad because there aren't any minerals present and you don't need any additives because all Kubota engines are parent bore, dry sleeve engines so no coolant contact with the cylinder liners occurs. Only time anti cavitation additives are necessary are in a wet liner engine. Another reason why Kubota recommends conventional antifreeze and not extended life 'global' antifreeze, it's not needed. You can use it but it's not necessary and the water pump seal deal is a fantasy too. Modern water pumps use sealed bearings so the coolant never touches the bearings at all. If the seal fails and the pump starts weeping from the weep hole, it's water pump time and has nothing to do with any lubricant in the coolant.

Been all wet before but that is the way I understand modern cooling systems to work.

Hit and miss engines (I have a couple) use an open water tank to cool the cylinder head and the water heats and evaporates and you add more and you don'tr ever use antifreeze, just plain tap water and the tanks do get rusty inside, they are cast iron like the cylinder heads are.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

But there is NOT ANY water pump seals on the L185. It is a thermosyphon system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
But there is NOT ANY water pump seals on the L185. It is a thermosyphon system.

Wolfman will correct me if I'm wrong (I'm wrong alot...:)) but even the thermosyhphon systens are pressurized. Don't have one but way back when I had a B7100 and it had no water pump or alternator..... I think, was many, many moos ago.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I didn't explain well. I was thinking open to the atmosphere via the expansion tank and many expansions/contractions over months and years.

My reference to hit and miss engines probably wasn't a good one.

Again, I'm no expert. I was just making some guesses and may be way off.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Wolfman will correct me if I'm wrong (I'm wrong alot...:)) but even the thermosyhphon systens are pressurized. Don't have one but way back when I had a B7100 and it had no water pump or alternator..... I think, was many, many moos ago.
If it's like my L1500 which has nearly the same engine, there is no overflow tank; it has a tube that runs down to the bottom of the frame with a whistle on the end. The whistle if the high temp alarm. There is air space at the top of the radiator.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd say the vast majority of cooling systems today (and all of the more modern units, are closed loop) with no ingress of atmosphere at all.

we discuss older units on here but the actual numbers are always declining. Nothing lasts forever no matter how many times you rebuild it and parts availability is also becoming less and less.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Yes it is a pressurized radiator at 13 PSI if I recall correctly.

David H

Equipment
L185
Oct 31, 2016
Auburn Hills, MI
I also Have an L185 that I bought in 78.
I have used regular 50/50 mix antifreeze its entire life.
I mix my own as it is cheaper. I also check it with a Prestone bulb checker.
Very inexpensive BUT must fill completely to get proper reading.
As the manual says you may get FIRS in the coolant tubes and they gave me a small bag of some powder to add. I have never used it.
BUT I do put cleaner in the radiator and run it for a long grass cutting then drain FLUSH and refill with the mix.
I just posted a ??? about a small drip I have from the engine petcock.
David

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I personally wouldnt run straight water simply to prevent corrosion.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
antifreeze is also antiboil. It increases the temp at which water boils, or changes state. It also lubricates and inhibits corrosion; which is why one of many reasons coolant needs to be flushed occasionally.

When pure water boils it changes from liquid to gas at about 212°F or 100°C for the rest of the world. That is at room pressure at sea level, about 14.5psia. In a closed cooling system at 29 psia (15 psi cooling system pressure), the boiling temp increases to about 245°F. However-when a 50% antifreeze/distilled water mix is used in the system, the boiling point increases to 255°F or thereabouts. Two key points to be made here, or actually quite a few so bear with me.

One, by using 50% mix of glycol/water mix, the boiling point increases. Two, the freezing point decreases-dramatically. It is not the freezing point itself that is the problem, it is the expansion that is the problem. Inside the cooling system and in the engine itself ideally there is no space for expansion. As water cools, it also contracts up to a point (temp related), then it begins to expand-and it's not always AT the freezing point; it's also pressure related. As it's contracting, the pressure in the system drops off, thus the freezing point is raised a little. At roughly 34-35 deg F, it begins expanding-and quite a bit. Up to 10%, and the force exerted is astronomical. In school we paid a local machine shop to make up a steel vessel to house about a quart of water. The vessel was going to have a pressure gauge on it but had to be able to contain a huge amount of pressure. They made it out of 1/2" thick material, weighed roughly 25 lbs with the cap. In went the gauge fittings and we filled it with de ionized water, then into the freezer for a slow descent in temp. The pressure gauge went to 100,000 psi. The next day we came into the class and the vessel was BROKEN open and the pressure gauge's memory needle was buried at the 100,000 psi peg. So you can see that water's expansion rate and it's force exerted are HIGH. This is why you don't want water to get close to the freezing point. Pressure also increases as you get past the boiling point which is why the system's pressure cap is there-to relieve the excess pressure (but it don't work for relieve ice pressure, unfortunately).

Book says use water, but it doesn't say what kind of water. Tap water boils early and freezes late. It has all kinds of minerals and impurities in it due to the chemicals that the government wants us to have. Therein lies many problems. When tap water is used in a cooling system several things happen. One, it has zero lubricity which may not be important in some cooling systems. Second when it does boil (and it does sometimes), it pits the metal that it's in contact with. Thirdly, the energy given off as it boils is pretty intense. Fourthly, some cooling systems have radiators with "plastic" tanks, and boiling water will destroy the plastic tanks, which is evident by the whitish deposits left around the filler neck and down inside the top of the radiator; rendering the tank (and usually the radiator) useless scrap. Most antifreeze has additives to help with all this; which is why it's imperative to use it; ideally at 50/50 mix with de ionized water. Most of the 50/50 stuff you buy is already mixed up properly, so you just add it in. If not, you have to go find some de ionized water and mix it yourself at 50/50. Distilled water will still have some impurities in it, and the "distilled" stuff you get at the stores? You never know what's in that container...likely just tap water.

When a cooling system doesn't hold pressure for whatever reason, the boiling points and freezing points are going to be affected significantly. This is important consideration on older equipment.