Coolant Heater trips GFCI

scottz

Equipment
1988 L2550DT-GST 2001 BX2200D HST 2016 L2501 HST
Nov 27, 2015
Colorado
My L2550 has a coolant heater in the lower radiator hose. I don't think it is a Kubota part; I suspect it is a Kats lower radiator hose heater. A few minutes after plugging it in, the GFCi outlet trips. If I plug it into a non-GFCI outlet it seems to work ok. Anyone run into this or have any ideas (all my outside outlets are GFCI)?

Thanks

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
My L2550 has a coolant heater in the lower radiator hose. I don't think it is a Kubota part; I suspect it is a Kats lower radiator hose heater. A few minutes after plugging it in, the GFCi outlet trips. If I plug it into a non-GFCI outlet it seems to work ok. Anyone run into this or have any ideas (all my outside outlets are GFCI)?

Thanks
Are you using an extension cord? Would assume so. What is the Guage number on the cord?

For Guage info see

http://www.diybyexample.info/2015/01/gauge-extension-cord/

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Two things come to mind. If the cord connections get one drop of water on them the outlet will trip. 2. Be sure you are using a outdoor rated extension cord. I'm not sure they were designed to work with that type of outlet. you can always change one outlet. I found this, look at the troubleshooting part.
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1968342pdf?$PDF$

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Got news for you. Those things designed to protect you do just that. Unfortunately it also prevents most coolant heaters from working. Heating element in water? Who would think there would be a problem.

Go find an old kettle and try the same thing. Will likely trip.

scottz

Equipment
1988 L2550DT-GST 2001 BX2200D HST 2016 L2501 HST
Nov 27, 2015
Colorado
I think the GFCI is just doing it's job and protecting me. Probably have moisture, dirt, grease, etc on the plug. I'll clean it all up tomorrow and see if that helps.

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
I've had GFCI's get weak and prematurely trip when it sees a load on it for a while. Replaced GFCI and no more issues. I also use a #12 wire (Heavy Duty Rated) extension cord. Of course moisture of any kind in connections will make those GFCI's trip too.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
L310 got it right. These electronic devices can go bad, just as parts in a radio can go bad. Replace it and also watch for moisture as has been noted.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Could very well be the coolant heater is bad. Without a GFCI, when the coolant heaters go bad they will usually burn the cord off them. There has been many fires started on tractors with bad coolant heaters. As long as you have a good heavy duty extension cord and the GFCI outlet is not weak, then look at the heater.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
A Ground-fault circuit interrupters ( GFCI) I a metering device that measures the current going out on the wires (black and white) if the difference between them is greater that .005 amps (5mA) it will trip.

They do fail. To check this you would have to measure the current on the ground wire.
Or
Try a new gfci first.

If not you may have to replace the heater.

When the heater was new it may have been fine, but with age the heater starts to break down and leak to ground.

So The insulation from the tires will make the tractor hot and when you touch it you may light up! :eek:

So unplug things before touching the tractor.
Ray

socapots

Equipment
bx2360, Landpride box blade, FEL.
Nov 7, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Like the others said, they can get weak.

I would not recommend trying to measure current unless you are familiar with how to do it safely.

Burned ends are usually caused by bad connections. Like those wonderful noma plugs.