Coolant/block heater change before cold weather question

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Went to Lowe’s and got a threaded coupler and 5” threaded pipe to help get old block heater out using the “slide hammer” method. We’ll see how that goes.
Is it necessary to take the lower radiator hose off as well as the block drain plug?
Watched a YouTube and the guy took the hose off, opened the block drain and drained the reservoir and radiator.
I can see draining the radiator and reservoir but is it necessary to pull the lower hose off too?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
A lot of people use the lower hose to drain the radiator faster and get more coolant out of the system

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Be careful and examine the type of block heater that is installed in your tractor. My old BX22 had a block heater that was threaded into the block, and the BX23S had a press-fit block heater. I have no suggestion on how to remove the press-fit block heater since I haven't had to do it on my tractor to date.

The internet is a wonderful thing. Read post #10 on this forum. This is something that I have never heard of before. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/i-am-completely-screwed-block-heater-removal-attempt-573078.html

Below is a good video on how to remove a press-fit block plug.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Be careful and examine the type of block heater that is installed in your tractor. My old BX22 had a block heater that was threaded into the block, and the BX23S had a press-fit block heater. I have no suggestion on how to remove the press-fit block heater since I haven't had to do it on my tractor to date.

Below is a good video on how to install a press-fit block heater.

My BX takes the press-fit block heater. Already been replaced twice (by dealer)
My turn this time…

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
GIANT FAIL today attempting to get the old block heater out.
Tried the threaded pipe slide hammer, no budge. Tried heating with torch, no budge. Tried vice grips, no budge. Dealer installed this one and I think they made it permanent, the bastards. Put in new antifreeze and I will try one of those oil pan heaters. I just happen to have bought 2 of them recently for my generator but they would t work on the generator as the oil pan is all finned for cooling. Going to go get my money back for the new block heater.