Conversations about the C... word

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Well guys, timely and informative post for me. I head back in for a targeted biopsy in a few weeks due to results of MRI indicating a small lesion in my prostate. I've sort of come to the conclusion that I will be facing this decision for myself soon enough.

My dr is quite young, but from what I hear is capable in advanced procedures (like robotic assisted)...but not sure if I can really trust him due to his age. I'm not quite 54 (and I have a hottie wife), so that surgery and the potential pitfalls are quite scary to me.

I've also had hernia surgery a few years back (double -bi-laterals) so I don't know if that presents a problem for robotic assisted laproscopy.

Anyway, I may bounce a few questions off you guys about your surgery if you don't mind?

oh, my FIL passed a year and a half ago...started as prostate cancer and metastasized something fierce. My wife wants this treated asap.
Join the facebook group called Prostate Cancer Support Group. We will answer all your questions there! For questions about sex after prostate cancer treatment join the group Sex Love and Prostate Cancer. FYI my name is Ed Service on both those groups

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: Ill ask because I don't know...

It is simply that there were a few other options I could have chosen but getting the damn cancer out of me overwhelmed rational thought! I didn't think the "side effects" would be as depressing for me as they are! 19 years ago I watched helplessly while my wife of 25 years fought courageously but inevitably slowly succumbed to ovarian cancer. I KNOW cancer up and personal! My father also died from prostate cancer though he too fought it vigorously! Excuse my pessimism today but I'm not sure that fighting is always the best option. I'll likely feel better about it tomorrow!
You are alive and get yet another day on this miserable planet..... Alive is better than the alternative and no one has ever come back and told anyone what the other side is like.:)

When the doctors found mine, I was dumbfounded. I had no symptoms, wasn't ill, was doing everything I normally do, everything was just peachy except I was getting tired easily and that I equated to my age. After all, when you get to be 70, things slow down a bit.

Then after the tests, when my doctors told me I had a best, a 30% chance of surviving, I went into a state of self denial. That cannot be right, not me, no way. Then the colonoscopy and the real bad news, the colonoscopy doctor could not get the instrument past my blocked colon. I was 85% blocked. That is when everything got really serious. Had the exam in the morning, that afternoon I was surgically fitted with an infusion port (which I still have in my left shoulder) and immediately afterwards I was given my first (of many infusions of chemo). Of course prior to the colonoscopy I had a couple meetings with my cancer docs, and was told up front that 10 years ago, there would be nothing they could do but send me home and ultimately I would die a morphine induced death.

I had 2 distinct choices, put my life in my doctors hands and God or die a horrible death. I took the first choice and took my chances and while I'll never be 100% whole again, I'm alive and productive and to me that is everything. Besides, my wife would be lost without me to pick on...

I have a pretty good friend who chose the second path. He's still alive, he's certainly not whole either and for the rest of his days, will wear a colostomy bag and his anus is sewn shut, plus he now has cancer elsewhere because it spreads if unchecked. I feel for him and we talk everyday. he's thankful I chose the path I did and I wish his path was a better one.

So here I am, went hunting in Nebraska and bagged a nice Mulie and planning a New Mexico Elk hunt next fall and maybe, just maybe an African big game hunt the following year, doing my farming thing and all is as good as it can get. I have no expectations about how long I'll live but I will say I thank the Lord and my doctors and their skill, every time I open my eyes in the morning and every morning when I get up, I say a silent prayer to God for allowing me to survive.

Life is about compromises. We all make them everyday. Some are more profound than others but in reality all are just that, compromises. Life is very fragile. You could walk to the mailbox (like I do every morning) and get run down crossing the road. That quick you could be gone, or worse, be incapacitated to the point where your quality of life is worthless.

I have my quality of life (barring some issues) but I knew going in there would be. There are no guarantees in life, never has been.

I fix what I can fix and deal with the rest, best I can.

Like I said earlier, not everyone survives like I did. I don't wish that on anyone, I prefer everyone champions cancer but it don't play that way sadly.

Tomorrow will be better when you awake, open your eyes and greet the new day.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The only thing I can say about cancer , is that it only kills you but it kills everyone around you. And then a void where you once were.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The empty house thing is tough sledding, hang in there skeets.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The only thing I can say about cancer , is that it only kills you but it kills everyone around you. And then a void where you once were.

In my case that might be or might not be true depending on who you talk to....:D

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well guys, timely and informative post for me. I head back in for a targeted biopsy in a few weeks due to results of MRI indicating a small lesion in my prostate. I've sort of come to the conclusion that I will be facing this decision for myself soon enough.

My dr is quite young, but from what I hear is capable in advanced procedures (like robotic assisted)...but not sure if I can really trust him due to his age. I'm not quite 54 (and I have a hottie wife), so that surgery and the potential pitfalls are quite scary to me.

I've also had hernia surgery a few years back (double -bi-laterals) so I don't know if that presents a problem for robotic assisted laproscopy.

Anyway, I may bounce a few questions off you guys about your surgery if you don't mind?

oh, my FIL passed a year and a half ago...started as prostate cancer and metastasized something fierce. My wife wants this treated asap.
Send me a private msg and we can exchange contact info if you wish.
I’d also had double hernias earlier in life (triple actually) and they are not likely an issue. My PSA had been hovering around 4-5 for a couple years then suddenly shot to 8, digital exam found a bump, CT scan found everything else clear/negative, bone-scan was also good. Did the 12-needle biopsy (I chose to do it in the surgery center while asleep but many do it in the doctors clinic.... I have great insurance and saw no reason to be awake thru it.). They found several very aggressive samples, so my choice was to remove it completely. I was concerned that they wanted to wait 6 more weeks but they explained it was important to be recovered completely from the biopsy first. Did the prostatectomy and the rest I’ve explained above.
As for your future sex:; Expect the worst and pray for the best. I’ll bet you’ll come thru just fine when you get over your initial self-consciousness. Remember, You may miss it if things don’t go perfectly for you... but remember your love for your wife, and her willingness to please you in the past? It’s time to repay her. Be patient, attentive and tender towards her and she’ll be reassured of your devotion, fidelity, and mutual respect. There are many ways to make love to her and vaginal sex with a penis is not as important to the ladies as it is to guys. ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Rec’d and replied.