Contemplating B3300SU as First Tractor - Have a few Questions...

Regaj

Equipment
B3300SU
Have been lurking for awhile, trying to sort out some things. Very impressed with the wisdom and quality of the information shared here. My thanks in advance for your help.

I'm looking to buy my first tractor. No real farm work (only five acres). But I've got a 1/4 mile-long, not entirely flat, gravel driveway that needs periodic attention - scraping, dressing, filling in thunderstorm-induced ruts, redistributing gravel as it washes downhill, etc. In the winter I need to either blade or blow the periodic snow we get.

I've also got a couple of drainage ditches under the driveway that tend to become obstructed on either side. Very laborious to try and clear with a shovel. And frankly not very effective.

I've got probably an acre and a half of scrub brush, saplings, and smallish trees I'd like to clear. Similarly, the entire circumference of the cleared part of the property is rough (overgrown with encroaching brush) and would greatly benefit from being pushed back 6-12 feet.

I burn wood as my primary heat and it would be very helpful to have something to efficiently move logs to where they can be bucked. I've got a dedicated log splitter so no need for help there.

I want to put another shed on the property. Alas, the place upon which I'd like to site it is on a fairly good grade, so a good bit of excavating would be needed.

No mowing (bought the wife a really nice Cub Cadet Zero Turn for that ;-).

All of which has led me to consider a tractor. I've contemplated several models, including the B2620, the B3200, and the smaller L-series units (really, too large - and expensive - for my needs it seems). Ultimately, I've closed in on the B3300SU. It seems like it might be a good candidate. Decent size and the lack of a mid PTO isn't an issue because I'm certain I'll never use a MMM. Thoughts?

I'm mildly bemused at the lack of a (stock) drawbar on the 3-pt hitch. It's only $51 on the Kubota builder, so it's not a big deal to add, I'm just curious why what seems to be such a basic part of a tractor wouldn't be included. Am I missing something regarding the B3300SU 3-pt hitch? I hope it's not proprietary...

More important, it seems, is the 1/4 inching valve rather than having position control. I'm guessing I'll get used to that (and, in any case, I thought I read somewhere that nearly all the B-series tractors have the 1/4 inch setup, and so you really need to move up to the L-series before you get position control as a standard feature). I'm inclined to shrug and move on. Any thoughts that I should potentially consider it a deal killer?

The three implements I can most envision using, in probable order of use, are a box blade, a bush hog, and back hoe. I'm torn on the back hoe. Getting the BH (with the subframe assembly, bucket, and thumb) really jumps the cost of the package. And, obviously, to use the box blade or bush hog (or any other 3-pt hitch attachment) first requires you to remove the BH. How hard is it to remove and attach the BH? How long does it take? The flip side is.... I really, really would like a BH. They're just so cool! (I know, not exactly a great reason...)

I'd like to avoid buying a snowblower if at all possible - we don't get that much snow here in Virginia. That said, I wouldn't want to depend solely upon the FEL to move the occasional 2-3 foot snow. Would a box blade be effective in that role?

If I did end up going with a rear-mount snowblower at some point - okay, really dumb question here - do you back the tractor into the snow? Or do you drive forward normally?

Last question. The "Rear Remote Valves" is a very expensive option. My hazy understanding of those valves is that they would be used to attach hydraulics to a rear-mounted implement. I'm assuming the 3-pt hitch is already attached to hydraulics. So unless I'm mistaken in that, what kind of attachment(s) would make use of the Rear Remote Valve(s)?

Thanks in advance for your advice and counsel...

Jeff

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think you'd be happy with the B3300. Yes the backhoe is a expensive ad on play toy to just have one cause you want one. Out of all your task's so far I haven't really heard a need where you could benifit from having a hoe. I also don't really see a snow blower being beneficial to you either because like you said we don't get that much snow here in Va.

For what little snow we do get you can get away with a box blade hanging off the rear for weight and tracton and float the loader to push the snow.

parkgt

Equipment
8200d, B3200
Aug 26, 2012
West AR
Rear remotes would be of the most use to you for having a TnT setup. Having hydraulic control of the top and one side link is very helpful when doing much box scraper work that requires angling the box left to right or changing the angle of attack. Being able to make constant changes to the box scraper on the go is a big time and effort saver when doing much of that kind work.

TnT has other benefits with other implements including brush hogs. It is expensive, but once you ever need and use it much; it will seem like money well spent.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
I agree that the rear remotes (TnT, or Top-N-Tilt) are extremely helpful with the box blade, and might even make the quarter inching vs. position control less of a concern.

I spent some time considering a B3200/B3300SU myself. I'd encourage you to get some time on the seat with the tractor at operating rpm before you buy. For me, the vibration was a problem. Maybe you just get used to it after a while-- but I think the 3-cyl models are buttery-smooth by comparison.

If you are thinking about throwing on a back-hoe "just in case" and can swallow that price difference, maybe consider the L-series and re-think your need for the BH. The L-series is a hell of alot more tractor for day-in and day-out use. Just compare the rear axles of the B and L.

I see a $1K difference between similarly configured B3300SU and an L3200- that's a 5% difference. And don't be fooled by the size of the tractors. Dimensionally, these are very similar tractors- but the L is much heavier/beefier.

I am sure there are a lot of happy B3300SU owners out there and I am sure I am not giving it due credit, but to me the L-series is worth a good long look.

Good luck at any rate!

Last edited:

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Here's a video of a TnT setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3bOCFXeLec

I think a 3rd remote is kind-of optional. Their 3rd remote operates the rippers; mine controls the other lift arm.
They are very useful for the box blade, but make fine control over the position of any 3-pt implement possible.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Just what Dandan said- I bought a new B3300Su and ended up taking it back after 14 hours of use. Could not deal with the vibration. Bought the 3cyl L3200 and what a difference. Buy the L and don't look back. Having some seat time in both I can say the extra 1000 lbs or so the L has makes a big difference. I have a tnt from Brian over at fit rite hydraulics. Great set up. I can not imagine going without it now, esp for box blade and york rake use. I cant urge you enough, try the B3300su @ around pto speed and then run the L. Your choice will be clear.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I tried both the B3300SU and L3200DT, and went for the L. About 800 lbs more iron. And I shared DanDan's feeling about the rear axle, although I have never heard a dunning remark about it. Doesn't seem to be a problem. For the price difference, the L seemed a lot more tractor. I've been delighted with it.
I bought a RHINO rear blade 30+ years ago for driveways & ditching , and cannot say enough good about it. The blade tilts and pivots, and the arm swings for offsets. The RHINO is very heavy duty, with about a 3/8" moldboard. I cannot say enough good for its being heavy duty - after 30 some years it is still going strong and straight. It has been GREAT for the driveway, and TERRIFIC for snow! With offset and tilt keeping the ditches clean is a walk in the park. Last year I built a rear wheel for it (an option with many of the currently available blades), and now it acts like a road grader and is awesome. It also allows me to keep the blade just above the gravel for snow removal. I don't know about box scrapers, but sure like what I have!
When I bought my L185DT 35 years ago I got a back hoe with it. I was living on a butte in central Oregon, where we had sand and lava-rocks. The average rock was 200-300 lbs and was always wedged between 2 or 3 others just like it. It was incredible what the backhoe could manage. Now I'm in eastern Washington, where the ground is rotten granite, and the boulders are 600-800 lbs. The hoe will just scratch at the granite once it got hard, but I've certainly managed to pull out a fair share of the boulders. Anymore, I only use the back hoe about once a year or less, but I wouldn't want to sell it off...

Attachments

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I also live in VA, and use a scraper blade on my B7100. My dad has a New Holland 3930 with a 7' Woods snowblower. It has been on the tractor once, and barely used even then. I agree with Eric- a snowblower isn't really needed with the snows we get, unless you can get a smoking deal on one. A loader and scraper or box blade will do wonders.
I also agree about the L3200- a lot more tractor for a little more money. In 5 or 10 years, you probably won't even remember what you paid extra, but you will remember why you went bigger. Look at the biggest tractor that you think will work, then look at the next model up- that will probably suit you better.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
One of those "it depends" things, I have quarter inching on a couple and will never buy another one unless used for mowing only which is how we use our BX2660 99% of the time.

TnT well worth the money.

I do like the old B2630/3030, but you can no longer get them.

Regaj

Equipment
B3300SU
Well, gentlemen, I decided to go for the B3300SU after all. Without the backhoe.

I got several quotes and the BH was just too many dollars - and, ultimately, I concluded that removing/replacing it would be more hassle than the utility it would provide.

I also thought carefully about one of the smaller L models, but ultimately judged the 2K difference a bridge too far.

If I've learned one thing in lurking here, it's that buying bigger is such a consistent recommendation that it ought to be considered distilled wisdom. Alas, when my wife and I first started looking at tractors a couple years ago it was the BX series. So my choice this week is already a couple steps beyond where we started. You have to draw the line somewhere. Pushing the price point for my ideal tractor is what has kept me from pulling the trigger in the past. Trying to not let perfect be the enemy of the good.

So... a new B3300SU with loader, loaded R4's, and a Land Pride GS60 grading scraper is being delivered tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll shortly have a bunch more questions!

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
At the end of the day, it's all about getting the work done and you will surely get a lot of work done with that beast.

Congrats!