Construction Guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Lil Bro was at Moms place and it seems the back wall in the basement is shifting and has opened up some cracks in the joints. Nothing that’s going to be dangerous but something that needs addressed.. Now I am wondering if there is anyway we might be able to fill the wall with cement by cutting some holes in the blocks and filling them from the top, in effect making a solid cast wall at least to the header block anyway. Anybody ever do this or seen or hear of it being done, and how it was done and worked out.

damnnissans

Equipment
B6100DT, Ford 4500 TLB, Too Many Gravely WBHs
Dec 17, 2011
New Windsor, Md
fix the problem not the symtoms. is there excessive pressure on the outside of the wall? water leaks? drainage issue?

Can you snake a couple pieces of rebar down through before you fill the wall?

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Put a straight edge against the wall and see if the wall is actually hinging. If it is, you want to excavate outside to relieve the pressure and push it back so it is straight. Holes could be knocked into the sides and rebar inserted and filled with grout. This will help a little as far as strength but as the previous poster said find out what is causing the wall to hinge and adress that problem or everything else is window dressing.

Whoooo, three year to late...let us know what you did and if it fixed the problem.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I agree with Damnnissans: it's best to address the cause of the problem. For a start, look at the slope of your land against the house, and make sure it slopes away from the house. I have seen several houses that had basement wall problems simply because of improper landscaping. Second, check your gutter/downspout discharges, and see where the water goes. Make sure it goes away from the house. Hope this helps. PMH

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
Skeets, zero help from me, just curious how the new knee is doing?
Hope all's well with it and you get your Mom's basement fixed.
Dick.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The wall has a slight inward bow to it, as far as I can remember when we built the house in 1964 there were no uphill pillers put in place and digging the wall out is pretty much out of the question. Mom is 92 and lived there since we built, and while there is no water leakage or cracking of block we would like to keep the old home place in as good a shape as we can,, thanks much guys,,,

Dick,, the knee is comming along hurt like blazes, not so much the replacement but the thigh quads,, I guess they go south pretty fast when not being used. Im hobbling along with a cane, and start PT, so that should be fun,,lol
While I feel for those poor folks down south, the only good thing is the rain is here for the next week or so, and I don't feel to bad about not being able to ride now,,lol

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
let me see if I got this right, house built in 1964, with I assume no shifting problems till now, or has this been an ongoing problem for awhile, and just now wanting to fix the problem ? If this just recently started to shift I'd look at drainage around the effected wall, sometimes rain water runoff from the roof can cause the ground to settle a bit right at the house which causes surface water to drain back towards the house, instead of away from the house. Perhaps the weeping tile has got plugged up by roots from near by trees. But X2 on what everyone is saying hear, first you have address the problem. Does your house have eaves trough, if not perhaps install some so you can direct the roof runoff away from your basement foundation wall.