Considering new ZD1211-72

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've owned a Kubota B3200 hst now for 7 years. Its equipped with a bucket, 60 mid mount mower and backhoe. The tractor has been great. I use it to mow, haul firewood, landscape, plow snow, and all kinds of varies yard work. However I think the time has come to pick up a zero turn to free up a couple hours of cutting grass. I mow close to 5 acres pretty much weekly in the summer. I wanted to pick up a zd331 a couple years ago but drug my feet and now it's no longer made with the tier 4 emissions in place. I think the 1511 would be nice but not sure I want to deal with emissions issues especially for its extra cost over the 1211.

The 2 dealers near me are both asking $15,300 for the zd1211-72. Does this seem reasonable t what other dealers are asking? Also I've seen a few you tube video's not happy with their cut quality. anyone have any experience with these zd's?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Have you thought about a RFM instead? What cut quality do you want on those 5 acres - rough cut or lawn? I think a large RFM would give you the productivity you want, and if you're mowing frequently (i.e. not cutting too much on each pass) you might be able to pull quite a large one.

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
I have looked at a couple big RFM's with side wings. I think the problem is being it's my yard and with all the stuff to mow around it would be cumbersome. But I really dont have much experience with them other than seeing them.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I can't offer anything specific to a ZD1211-72 but I was mowing my acreage with my B2650 with a 72" MMM and it was taking too long. One reason was the three point turns but mostly it was due to my rough "lawn" required me to run pretty slow. Plus the 72" deck (even though it was ground contact) scalped a lot.

After researching ZTR's, including mowing on "rough lawns", I ended up with a Ferris Z2100 with the 60" deck and 25hp Kawasaki motor and this think mows *much* faster and better than the tractor with its larger 72" deck.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Can’t comment on the kubota zero turn, but thats a lot of money for a mower for that much grass (granted it will likely last a lifetime). I mow about 6 acres weekly with a different brand zero turn with 61” deck, and given the ground conditions I will use the tractor with 5 ft bush hog. Just an example in my pasture in front of the house, takes an hour to cut on the tractor, zero turn takes about 20 minutes. I think your tractor specs pretty close to mine and 6ft mower probably pushing it in the best of conditions.

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
I can't offer anything specific to a ZD1211-72 but I was mowing my acreage with my B2650 with a 72" MMM and it was taking too long. One reason was the three point turns but mostly it was due to my rough "lawn" required me to run pretty slow. Plus the 72" deck (even though it was ground contact) scalped a lot.

After researching ZTR's, including mowing on "rough lawns", I ended up with a Ferris Z2100 with the 60" deck and 25hp Kawasaki motor and this think mows *much* faster and better than the tractor with its larger 72" deck.
sound pretty similar to my situation. I mow in medium full rpm but make 3 point turns after every pass. normally takes me about 4 1/2 hours just for the mowing. plus trimming and lawn sweeping if I didnt keep up with it.

Ferris seems to make a nice machine. I just have a hard time looking away from the kubota diesel. with the deal from kubota right now there hard to pass up 0% for 60 months and 90 days deferred payments.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The tractor has 32 HP and will not take much more them a 72 inch rear finish mower. $15 grand for a lawn mower just plane hurts.

When I had a large lawn to mow I bought one of those Swisher tow behind mowers.

https://www.swisherinc.com/categori... pull behind mowers&campaign=1683741303&adgro

I pulled it off set to the left side of the tractor so that I could use the Swisher to trim under the trees where the tractor could not go. Then switch the mower to the right side to mow with the left front tire on the cut line. While blowing the cuttings to the middle.

With your 60 inch mmm plus the 60 inch Swisher you should be able to cut about 11 feet for less then $2200.

How ruff is your 5 acres? The ZT at speed will be a ruff ride and you already know how the tractor rides.

I pulled my Swisher with a 12 HP Wheel Horse with a 42 inch deck and it was amazing how much time it saved.

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
my dad used to have one of the swisher tow behaving mowers. He guilty.of letting his grass get.too tall nut it seems to burn belts off pretty often. I though about doing that also but can't stand mowing a course around the yard, and turning around after each pass is about impossible towing something. I like the nice clean stripped years look.

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
I have a ZD326H which has a 72" deck. Bought it new in '15 as a leftover. It now has 130 hours and has been great, no complaints. I cut 3 acres a week.
Do you have any issues with the 72" deck when mowing tall grass?? I have found a couple used 331's but not quite sure they're a good enough deal to grab one of them instead of a new 1211.

PsRumors

Feb 21, 2016
Cartersville, Georgia
Do you have any issues with the 72" deck when mowing tall grass?? I have found a couple used 331's but not quite sure they're a good enough deal to grab one of them instead of a new 1211.
I have not had any issue with tall grass, and I've cut some tall thick stuff. Obviously on some stuff you must slow down but that's with any mower.

I haven't found a need for more HP but more HP is always nice to have.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I have the ZD1211 with 72" deck. Bought it last spring and used it all last summer. It's a great machine, typical Kubota heavy duty quality. Lots of power and will cut heavy grass all day, no problem.
I do have a few rougher areas, so the 72" will scalp a bit here and there if I'm trying to cut low, but does a great job otherwise.
It used to take me 8-9 hrs to mow all my grass, but now it only takes me 3-4 hours. If my lawn was smoother it would take even less time, because this thing will cut as fast as you want to go.

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
that's the exact information I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

I assume you still using the factory blades? Kubota has a lot if features built in this mower that aren't all found on many others. Looked at a couple other manufacturers, but especially once you price their diesel the kubota is very reasonably priced for the features.

I'm going to swing by the local dealer Monday and get the process started.

63Flyer

Equipment
L3540,ZD1211-72, RTV-X900
Jul 25, 2013
Dundas,Ont
I was in the similar situation last summer. My L3540 was becoming tedious to remount the RFM on and loader off every time the grass needed cutting. Purchased an ZD1211-72 and have never looked back. My wife does all the lawn cutting and her cutting time is cut nearly in half. I do not spend much time cost justifying these types of decisions but amortized over the expected life of this machine and the lower hours on the L3540 etc, I had no issues pulling the trigger. Good Luck with your decision.

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
I agree with that. Taking my hoe off and putting my 3pt hitch arms on and doing the reverse after mowing is getting old. Money isnt really an issue if the machine is worth it and saves me time to do other things with the kids.

Biggest issue now is a dealer about 2 hours from me just quoted me 14,700 for a new one and my 2 closest dealers are @ 15,300. I'd have no problem driving 2 hours to save $600. But with this whole pandemic and everyone being locked down. I'm not comfortable driving that far to get a mower right now. plus the areas around that dealer are loaded with covid19 cases.

I'm going to forward the quote from Messick's to my 2 closest dealers and see if they will come close. I'd definitely prefer to get it local if I can.

freewheel3

Equipment
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
that's the exact information I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

I assume you still using the factory blades? Kubota has a lot if features built in this mower that aren't all found on many others. Looked at a couple other manufacturers, but especially once you price their diesel the kubota is very reasonably priced for the features.

I'm going to swing by the local dealer Monday and get the process started.
Yes, still factory blades. They are still like new and don't even need sharpening yet. I have 3 other Kubota mowers (B6200, T1700HX and an old 5' 3pt), I only use Kubota replacement blades because they outperform any others in longevity. They must use good steel when they make them.
In your other post you mention trying to get your local dealer to match Messick's, go for it, the dealer's know that money is going to be tight, so should be willing to bend a bit on price. If not, try to get them to throw in some service supplies, or maybe an extended warranty at a discount price.
Fyi, I paid 18,600 CDN$ (13,920 USD using todays exchange rate) plus tax for mine last year, not sure what they were selling for in the US then.
But price aside, it is an awesome machine that if properly maintained will always have good resale value, great parts availability, and will cut your grass for the next 20 years easy.
I love mine, it's a beast. It'll cut anything I throw at it, and I only run it at 3/4 throttle, no need to run it wide open.

knuth123

Equipment
Kubota B3200
Apr 4, 2020
Madera, Pa.
thanks, that's great information.

some of the youtube videos had me a little scared about the cut quality. I know my MMM on my b3200 has cut great and I've always used kubota blades are they are reasonably priced. Last year my local dealer quoted me a sale price during Kubota Days of 14,600. Now this spring they're at 15,300 claiming kubota had a price increase in the fall. I think the one local dealer will at least counter offer a little as they really wanted to know what other prices I've gotten so far. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a deal on one this week as it's not going to be much longer and my grass will he ready to mow.

Last edited:

freewheel3

Equipment
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
thanks, that's great information.

some of the youtube videos had me a little scared about the cut quality. I know my MMM on my b3200 has cut great and I've always used kubota blades are they are reasonably priced. Last year my local dealer quoted me a sale price during Kubota Days of 14,600. Now this spring they're at 15,300 claiming kubota had a price increase in the fall. I think the one local dealer will at least counter offer a little as they really wanted to know what other prices I've gotten so far. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a deal on one this week as it's not going to be much longer and my grass will he ready to mow.
The cut quality is great overall as long as the grass is reasonably dry. I will say that if wet and a bit long / heavy, it tends to leave a strip that the left front wheel flattens, and due to the direction that the blades rotate, it doesn't seem too lift the grass there as much as the rest of the deck.
I assume that most other brands would have the same issue?
Possibly also due to the weight of the unit, it's definitely heavy.
But I either wait til the lawn is decently dry or I simply overlap a bit on the next pass and it licks it up, because I cut round and round usually.
I also love the way the front axle pivots so that you can crank it up to clean out the deck. It'll lift the front of the unit about 3' high.
You can also lock the front axle solid to get a smoother cut with less scalping, but it is a rougher ride unless your lawn is real smooth.

freewheel3

Equipment
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Picked up my new ZD1211 tonight. It's going to save me a ton of time mowing..
Congrats. I'm sure you'll love it. It took me an hour or so to get used to it when I first got mine. Did you go with the 60" or the 72"? Also, what is that cable that goes from the right hand control stick to the deck? Mine doesn't have that.

Last edited: